COMIC thoughts on the animatrix' first ep *pos. spoiler?*

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by jsmonet, Feb 21, 2003.

1. jsmonet

jsmonet egg

removed from the animatrix video thread, and now here...I was mulling over the video with a friend of mine and came to this conclusion:

did anyone else catch the really blatant satire of our trade relations with both 3rd world nations (world's bank + debt slavery vs. social status of 3rd worlders) and the tarrif/quota system's treatment of asian imports (mass produced "high quality" products done cheaply, domestic fear of competition, america's push to keep certain asian countries out of the WTO, etc)

i preferred the more direct approach of the animatrix to its satire and allusions to that of the first matrix movie. the movie seemed to be trying too hard. i felt like i was reading the great gatsby all over again attempting to pick out glimpses and shadows of allusions to more oblique philosophical points. this anime had a more simplistic, yet much deeper social commentary swimming in it.

i in no way want to make anyone feel bad with this post. i just felt these themes really jumped out at me. imagine an angry man screaming these topics into my ear at point blank range :)

2. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

I think it wasn't that good, just didn't "feel" like the matrix.

3. jsmonet

jsmonet egg

(o_O) i didn't say "the matrix" had anything to do with trade relations. i felt "the matrix" had many allusions to oblique philosophical issues. another point i tried to make was that the movie seemed to make these allusions too subtly for my taste.

the movie != animatrix. they don't deal with the same issues. my comparison was how the movie used allusions vs. how the animatrix used allusions. a second point/question was did anyone else catch the satire of current day trade relations that the animatrix alluded to?