Thoughts on the A5 2.0T?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by -Boost-, Jan 8, 2010.

1. -Boost-

-Boost- Active Member

Other than the fact that it's slower than pretty much everything else in its class? :o

I think the looks alone are almost enough to overcome that. Car is fucking beautiful. And in 6MT it's only .1 seconds slower 0-60 than the 3.2L at like 3 or 4k less MSRP. Plus there's always the possibility of chipping it down the road. S-line package is pretty sexy too... :bowdown:

Just wanted to know the general opinion in here on that car with this particular engine.

Also, my bad if it's been covered before... I tried to do a search and found nothing, but A5 and 2.0T might be too short to search... :dunno:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Skip it and get a Japmobile -- you know, something that won't need expensive repairs every oil change.

3. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

2.0T is a well balanced powerplant. The vehicle is real sexy. The convertible is spacious. My buddies A5-S hasn't been in the shop for anything but oil changes. Get an extended warranty if you really want.

4. deusexaethera

You can't judge a car's reliability by the first 5 years of its lifespan. Wait until things get old and brittle in the engine bay and then see how often stuff breaks, and how much collateral damage results from that breakage.

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I mean waiting 5 years is an asinine idea, man. You could wait 5 years before buying every car and you could wear a pillow on your head incase an asteroid or meteor comes at you.

6. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

I love my A5! Without question, it is the best touring automobile produced today. I have a 2008 3.2L 6-speed with 15k and have loved every mile. I've cruised to Lubbock at 100 without so much as a hiccup. The car turns heads in Austin everywhere it goes.

As for the 2.0T. It is under-powered and lacks the refinement which the 3.2L and 4.2L retains. If, for budget reasons, you must get the 2.0T, than IMMEDIATELY get in touch with APR (www.goapr.com) and purchase their software. Follow that with an intake and you should be good to go.

And for good measure -

[​IMG]

7. deusexaethera

That much is true, but newer VWs and Audis have a well-known reputation for being completely unpredictable as to whether they'll be reliable or shitbox money pits after 5 years or so. Some people claim they never have a problem for hundreds of thousands of miles, but many more people have one problem after another once they cross the 75,000 mile mark.

I'm not saying the Toyota Camry is in the same performance category as the Audi A5 -- it certainly isn't -- but it's still a good example of a car that's designed to age predictably. If VAG could grasp the value of that kind of predictability, their sales in the USA would be a lot higher than they are now.

8. -Boost-

-Boost- Active Member

what's the deal with the chips and the car's warranty? APR's website says it's undetectable but i'm still leery... :dunno:

9. Noah

APR is 100% accurate in that statement, provided that you, the user, use the software correctly. As follows -

Reset the car to "Stock" settings, lock software, deliver to dealership, dealership services, pick car up, enter lock code, reset to stage 1 or 2 or whatever software you have, start car, drive off.

Done and done. In the 25-30k miles I had my GTI, VW never detected it was chipped. APR's claim is very accurate indeed. Even then, in my expereince, most dealerships won't deny converage as long as you are honest with them. Just my .02

10. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

VW put a security code on there 10s for North america and as of now APR hasnt released a reflash yet for the 2.0t GTIs. It was supposed to happen last november.
    A stage 2 Exhaust Intake and reflash your looking at I think almost 275 HP putting it up there with the other cars in its class..
    Im in Europe right now and the new ones are SEXAY.
    If you want 2.5 kids a dog and have your Saturdays taken up for Soccer than buy a Camry.. Be real classy and get one in Gold..

11. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

Could not agree more. I can't believe that a '08 with 25k miles still goes for ~$40,000. Crazy.

12. Noah

As they say - "I like it!"

:big grin:

13. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

I just bought an 99 A4 as a beater and it rides great. BUT it has electrical hiccups every 100 miles or so. I was going to get the 10 A4 but its to nice to drive in England and it would be LHD not RHD. So I got a 10 GTI which my wife will total in the first 3 months here:eek4: $250 for Gap insurance:ugh2:

14. deusexaethera

Just remember to go around the left side of the traffic circles.

15. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Yeah and the drivers side is on the right side ... I have sat in the left side and was like WTF happened to my steering wheel... I usually open the door now and realize Im on the wrong side.. Another thing is when you come to an intersection the cars nearest you are coming from your right side ... I almost got nailed the other day looking the left lane...

16. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

black on black M6 S-Line is high on my list of next cars.

17. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

only if it's a lease, you don't want to own a 2.0T.

18. deusexaethera

See? I'm not the only one who says so.

19. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Is the 2.0T not highly regarded because of reliability issues? Is it mechanical (moving parts), or electrical? What are the known faults is what I am asking? What are the known updates and fixes?

20. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Audi sells more A4s than BMW sells 3 series in Germany...

21. Noah

I had the 2.0T in my GTI and had no problems with the motor, or drive train, at all during the 30k miles I owned it.

If you begin to modify the car, than you can expect to have the Mechanical Fuel Pump (attached to the Cylinder Head and driven by the Intake Cam) to run out of pumping ability. HIghly recommend the APR Fuel Pump. Pricey, but solves all problems.