GUN Thoughts on the .357SIG?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Feb 15, 2007.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I don't hear much about the .357SIG on WMD. What are your thoughts on this round?

I hope to get a hangdun soon and the USPc in .357SIG is an option. Pros? Cons?

Pros: More power than a .40S&W, feed issues are extremely rare due to shape. :dunno:

Cons: Overpenetration, excessive wear on chamber due to reverse engineering for the .357SIG round. :dunno:

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

if i were to carry my P229, i'd leave the .357 sig barrel in it over the .40 barrel.

i like the round, feels like a snappier .40 with less "push."

3. itchiban

itchiban New Member

This is the thing I always remember about it.
    It would be cool to have one if plinking ammo was more affordable.

4. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I don't shoot anything that there isn't tons of ammo for ie 9mm, .45, .308 etc

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Horse poop, look up the penetration numbers for ranger t rounds for example, their 147gr round tops it in most tests.

I see no need for .357sig, its a round for people that like light and fast and want higher levels of KE on their round. I'd rather have a deeper penetrating heavier 9mm or .40.

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Setback?

7. itchiban

itchiban New Member

When the projectile gets pushed down further into the casing. Causes higher pressures and the round is more likely to kb.

Edit: Pic for reference...I dont carry Hydra's anymore :hsugh:

[​IMG]

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I really don't understand how weird wildcat cartridges like 357SIG get commercialized. It's between .40 S&W and 10mm. I'd think that heavier .40 S&W or lighter 10mm loads would more than fill whatever niche that 357SIG is trying to fit into.

But I guess that new cartridges sell new guns and let the ammo manufacturers charge a fortune for new product lines...

9. Not to keep sackriding the 10mm, but the 357sig is a way to basically put a .40S&W powder charge behind a 9mm. You get the 9mm moving really fast. If you use a 10mm you get all the advantages of the .357sig, and a lot more power. You also have choices that range from 125 grain up to 230 grain bullets. As much of an advantage as the 357sig has over the 9mm and .40s&w, the 10mm has an advantage over the 357sig. The 10mm is just in a slightly bigger package.