Thoughts on teh outsourcing...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

in on 1

Reply pending...

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Overall I have nothing really to add to this; there was one sentence, however, that was harder than hell to read:

The fact that the Apple Service tech I talk to is intimately familiar with technology because he's been a computer dork since age 5 and that he is acclimated to the Western hemisphere matters in whether I recieve satisfactory customer service.

I offer this as a correction:

When I call Apple Service, the support tech that I talk to is intimately familiar with the technology I need help with because he's been a computer dork his whole life, and he can communicate clearly with me because he is acclimated to the culture of the Western hemisphere; this matters greatly in whether or not I recieve satisfactory customer service.

Other than that, all I can say is this is why I became a software engineer instead of a coder; you don't have to speak english natively to write good code, but to interview clients and document requirements and designs, you have to be intimately familiar with the nuance of the language you are writing in. The implication of this is that just about anybody in the world can get a job as a coder, but Western engineering jobs are more or less confined to native english speakers. That puts me in an advantageous position.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Customer interaction is the most valuable thing in a job in Bangalore. Everyone wants to climb that ladder and do what you do.

I'm gonna rewrite this and clean this up and mail it to the Wall Street Journal and the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

6. deusexaethera

Sucks having a billion people to compete against. I'm glad as hell I don't have to do it.

EDIT: There were hordes of Indians and Pakistanis and Bengalis at my college in NJ. They were the ones fortunate enough to get a proper education in the field.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its best to deal with outsourcing firms having executives that were educated in America.

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

cliffs... too lazy to read

thx for keeping this forum active though peyomp

without you it would be pretty dead

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah I kick ass.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm confused... did you write this?

11. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

At least you get to use Indians. My company went straight to the bottom of the list and found Cebu, Philippines for development. They used to pay them 3k per year and we get exactly what we paid for. Our failure rate increases exponentially with each outsourced team member. The kicker was when we shipped a big chunk of our Q/A over there even though our guys here aren't so good already.

We've outsourced all of our internal IT support there and they're usable at least. "Bob" may be nearly unitelligible but he can do a password reset satisfactorily and if that means I can make a few % more, then I'm all for it. It's just when they demand to Net Meeting my PC to diagnose the problem I carefully explained to them do I get angry.

12. deusexaethera

"At least you get to use indians." Nice. :ugh:

Sounds like it's time for you to find a job with a company that plans further ahead than the next quarterly statement. As for the NetMeeting diagnosis, this is fairly common among domestic IT support too; why do something over the phone when you can just LOOK at the problem and then FIX it? Think about it from their point of view; my grasp of english is years beyond what they'll ever have, and words fail me sometimes too. I'd much rather just take control remotely and fix the problem than have to talk a second-guessing incompetent through settings when I can't even see that they're looking at the right thing.

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

NJIT in Newark?

14. deusexaethera

Monmouth University in West Long Branch. You can drive past if every day for years and never notice it's there, just because the landscaping is so nice.

15. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I got accepted there for Computer Engineering, I know where it is. I didn't attend though. When you described the democraphics I thought you were referring to NJIT...

16. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Yes, poor language choice there. Dehumanizing them probably isn't the most respectful thing...especially since they are capable for the most part. Maybe it subconscious resentment.

They took over my PC for half an hour to diagnose a bug on their website of their incident reporting system which I provided the link directly to the failure point in an email when the web system failed. In another incident, they disabled one of my network ports for a VLAN costing me network access but after telling her specifically what LAN I needed to be on and the transfer that caused the problem, I was told to reboot my PC 4 times in hopes the card would find the IP. It was nearly 20 minutes in before she listened to me and transfer me to headquarters for the 5 seconds to transfer my port back to the correct LAN.

Other times, they've had me on my way quickly. The team in Cebu is a different story. Giving them IP addresses of multiple VPC's for remote access apparently escapes them. I found them routing through 3 machines to find the fourth. They also claimed to be closing record bugs in the code but I discovered their machine had gone into hibernation from lack of use.

17. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

What's your goal in mailing it to WSJ? We don't normally do anything with with online blogs. Although there are other portals within DJ that spider the web for blogs and then deduce what the market thinks of a particular topic. WSJ doesn't handle that.

18. deusexaethera

Definitely time to choose a more forward-thinking company. Grabbing the cheapest possible foreign labor, regardless of expertise or trustworthiness, is SO B-list. Of course, my company isn't big enough to need cheap foreign labor, but the fact remains that they aren't relying on cheap foreign labor.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yessir.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It wouldn't be an online blog... just a letter to the editor. You work at the WSJ?

21. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I work for DJ, which essentially makes WSJ...

True, but DJ roams all blog sites as a form of content. Regardless if it's sent to anyone or not.