Thoughts on system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Apr 28, 2006.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a Kenwood headunit, currently. It will eventually be replaced with an Alpine, but for now it will do.

I was thinking of comprising a system of one of these two subs:

Elemental Designs 13Ov.2
    12" Subwoofer, 2 Ohm Dual Voice Coil, 600 Watts RMS
    (Voice coils wired in series for 4 Ohm load to amp)
    $195.00 Shipped

Resonant Engineering 12SE
    12" Subwoofer, 4 Ohm Dual Voice Coil, 600 Watts RMS
    (Don't know if I can get a DVC2Ohm, if so, I would wire it up in series for 4Ohm load to amp)
    $195.00 Shipped

Using this amp:

NINe.2x
    600 Watts X 1 @ 4 Ohms
    $265.00 Shipped

Rear speakers:

CDT Audio CL-6EX
    6.5" Coaxials, 4 Ohm, 90 Watts RMS
    $99.00 Shipped

Elemental Designs 6000s
    6.5" Components, 4 Ohm, 100 Watts RMS
    $125.00 Shipped

Using this amp:

NINe.4
    65 Watts X 4 @ 4 Ohms
    100 Watts X 4 @ 2 Ohms
    $235.00 Shipped

What is your input on the sub? Any better components or recommendations? I am concerned about the amp... Is it enough power for the components? What would you recommend without breaking the bank?

2. Arc

Arc New Member

I am using the Nine.4 and the 6000's. The amp is great for these components. If you really have questions on these go to eD. eD seems to have some hate here...

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Don't buy Alpine.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Why not? I have owned two Alpine units that I've LOVED. My friend just bought a very cheap Alpine unit with a no-frills display and even it sounds awsome! He was running two pair of Alpine coaxials (cost him $50 a pair, so nothing fancy) and I was impressed at the sound level that could be obtained using the stock amp.

I have owned two Eclipse units, and I have returned both. They sounded good, but their mechanics were very poor. One flat-out broke, and the other was on it's way out when I returned it. The Alpine I replaced it with turned out to be a very stout unit.

If you don't recommend Alpine, then what do you recommend? I've also used (and liked) Panasonic and Pioneer, but I thought these aren't in the same class as Alpine? Budget is $220-350 for head unit. iPod and SAT (XM or Sirius -- doesn't matter which) are a requirement.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea, I don't know why people don't care for them here. Everything I've heard from eD has sounded amazing. I have also heard great things about those RE12SE subs... So I'm not sure which to go with -- specs wise, they are very similar.

As for the amp/components, I was concerned that the 65W wouldn't be enough juice for them. I had a set of CDT Audio CL-61's that were awsome... But they loved the power. 110W RMS on the speakers, and they would really shine with 150W of clean power. You didn't want to run the CDTs with less than 100W or they didn't sound so hot. Have you heard the eD's with more power? Is the 65W really enough? I notice that eD offers the comp/amp combo with the NINe.4/6000's, but I'm not sure if NINe has a more powerful amp within the price-range to offer.

How do you feel about the NINe amps? Good? Okay? Bad? My last system was all JL amps and a JL sub. The system before that used a JL monoblock for the sub and a Crossfire TEK for the mains. I really liked the TEK amp -- kicked the ass out of the Avionixx that I had before that.

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

The pioneer 880 is a hot deck right now that would fit into your budget. I'm not a big fan of the alpine's interface. What kind of car?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

2002 GMC Jimmy

I sortof like the Alpine interface, although I have not used their iPod integration. This would be personal preference, anyway... Is that the only reason you don't like Alpine?

I looked at the 880... It appears to be a Premier model, which I like. Looks good, too. But MSRP is listed at $450, and crutchfield doesn't have it... Any idea where you can get it for under $350, which is what I'd like.

I was looking at the Alpine 9851, 9853, or 9857... But at any rate, a head unit is down the road a bit...

Any input on speakers/sub/amp?

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

You can buy them on ebay for 350 shipped or so. I could get you a similar price thru my shop but you'd have to make a long drive. I dont ship stuff out. I haven't had much experience with the amps but cdt speakers are nice. The new interface of the pioneer decks is freaking great.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have friends in socal that could do a local pickup for me... I'll research head units a little more before making a final decision, tho.

I'm a little more concerned with the comps/amps/sub at this point.

10. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Sounds good, I'm located in Oceanside, San Diego. I'm an authorized Eclipse Pioneer and Pioneer Premier Dealer. LMK what you need.

11. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Haven't been keeping up-to-date on subs lately, but I'm curious if you've thought about deleting your rear stage and investing it in the front? Sorry if you've heard me repeat this in every audio thread asking about a new system lol.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I used to be a big fan of Alpine, but when they introduced the 98xx series, I felt like the sound quality went to shit. It sound JVC-ish to me. lots of harsh highs and bottom heavy. Not the clean balanced sound that I was used to from Alpine. For the money, I think that Kenwood Excelon or Pioneer Premier offers many more usable features than Alpine, with better sound quality. Of course, these are my opinions, and not all will agree with me. I feel that if you're going to spend $350, you should get the most for your money. IMO KE and PP offer much more bang for the buck. I personally use KEx in both of my vehicles. The pluses of the KEx that I like are adjustable x-overs, Q-adjust and variable tone (freq #- 60, 80, 120, etc.) adjustment. ANd the ability to use dual zone if I ever wanted (but in an S10 and a Firebird, i don't have enough room)

As far as panasonic goes, I feel they offer decent performance (that appeals to guys) and flashy looks (that appeals to gals). They do pack a lot in their units (3 pre-outs in a $179 unit w/sub control) and they intro'd their 1st MP3 player ~$159. good value, but not as higher end as I prefer.

Obviously you don't prefer Eclipse, so I won't go there, as I don't have near as much experience with them anyways. :mamoru:

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

for your components, I recommend you take a listen to the Orion P6.2s. Good adjust on the tweeters and bi-ampable. so you can use the four channel amp and input seperatly to the tweeter and mid. I'm running them in my firebird with ~50w per channel (grossly underpowered for now) and they are quite impressive, although they could use an enclosure behind them. You should have room in the door of your jimmy to do that.

14. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I love elemental designs stuff, in fact i run it myself but I think there are better deals out there for what you are trying to achieve.

As far as headunit goes I would look into pioneer or eclipse.
    The late model eclipse units are easy to use, new ones are complicated and kinda irritating but good units... Like the 8445 and similiar late models from eclipse

For subwoofer for a tiny bit more money you can pick up a Soundsplinter RL-p 12 sub, they are going cheaper now and are a step up from the others in output level while retaining equal SQ. $239

As far as speakers go I would forget the rear speaker idea, but if you often travel with a lot of people in the backseat then I would leave the factory rears connected to the headunit and just amplify your new front speakers.
    A great choice would be rainbow soundlines which you can pick up for $220 shipped and are phenomenal SQ components but can also get loud of course.

As far as amps right now one of the best deals is the aura amps on partsexpress

amp for components: Aura RPM2150 amp $70 new. Typical output 90x2 for the fronts

amp for sub: aura RPM2300 $100 new typical output [email protected] bridged

This would end up being around $300 cheaper than your idea and in my opinion would perform better!

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sorry, but no. I had an 8445 and it was a piece of shit. I fucking hate eclipse.

Never heard of it. I'll look into it.

I'm definitely not getting rid of the rears. And the factory speakers are crap. I have done many many installs with the CDT Audio CL-6X and one with the CL-6EX and I can't say a damn thing bad about them for a rear-fill speaker. First of all, I personally prefer some rear-fill... Secondly, it's a 4-door SUV, and people are gonna ride in the back... I would like some sound back there for them. The factory speakers are not an option. I don't know if they are blown or what, but at any decent volume level, they sound like shit. I know the CDTs won't have that problem. I can get the CL-6X for around $65, so the price isn't an issue. I'll probably end up with the CL-6EX for $99, so not a bank-breaker.

Never heard them. I'll look into it.

Are these low-quality amps? Have you used a Crossfire TEK? Avionixx? JL? Tsunami? NINe? How would you compare them?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  16. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Eh, the 9835 is an excellent unit... IMHO the last great HU that Alpine made. BioLite is sweet, It has plenty of processing (3-way active xover), and features. I love mine.

I can definitely agree that the 2006 Alpine's are severely lacking... maybe even "lower quality" than they used to be...

;)

17. pharcyde183

meh, ok Pioneer then, i hear good about that 880 model that's out...
    or cheaper a deh-p680mp

yeah if you like rears CDT sounds good

on the same level as the amps you listed and better value

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

The features on upper model alpines are certainly capable. but IMO after 2004, alpine fell way off on SQ. unless you had the alpine tape measure or used iPersonalize, it was very very easy for a novice to completely fuck up their soundstage using the time delay and sound processing in those units. oh and the 7998 (DIN and a 1/3 slideout), while a very nice unit, was a piece of mechanical shit.

edit: now that i think harder about it, the model that replaced the 7892-3-4 (the 9835-3-1) weren't all that bad. I think it was the 985x and 982x series that started sounding like poo

19. pharcyde183

meh, it definitely has the features and looked good but I had a 9833 which as you know is the same with less features and my pioneer 860mp and my clarions i owned before it (835mp and HX-D10) both outshone it in the SQ department

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how did my thread about subs/amps/comps turn into a debate about a headunit?

21. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i run a 7897 in my car, and have had no problems(actually the only stealth face deck we had go back, was because a guy shoved his knee into it while off-roading his jeep.). :dunno: as for the newer alpines, i have not noticed a difference yet... i'm wondering if it's just in your head... the only real difference alpine has made, is they went from 4v to 2v pre-outs.

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

is tsunami still even around?

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I bought several of their amps in 2003. They were very good. I think they were made by Avionixx, however, and tsunami licensed them to have their own name.

24. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

as we all know, SQ is in the ear of the beholder. My personal opinion is that when alpine began using the MX (media xpander) feature on their HU's, something in the processing just went to shit. Like i said, i think that around 2004 is when the sound went JVC-ish. So it's very possible that it is in MY head. Alpine has one of the top reputations in car audio. I'm just not impressed any longer.

As far as the stealth face units go, i don't recall us ever having a problem out of the 7997, just the 7998. and it was all mechanical failure (faceplate would not open, motorized arms would break). other than that it was a great unit. we sold 2 and installed 1 for a guy that purchased it elsewhere for a total of 3. all 3 went defective.

25. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

cause i said "don't buy alpine" :mamoru:

but seriously, as far as the CDT's go, i've never heard them myself. a friend has explained to me the sound of them as typical german speakers: "harsh titanium tweeters and muddy midbass....much like MBQuarts." but again, i have no personal experience, so that's all the opinion i can offer on them.

If you're not a fan of the Orions, I might suggest Diamond D6 comps. The HEX series are nice, but I feel that you get a very comparble sound from the D6's as you do the HEX. The D9's are also nice, but quite the overkill IMO (the crossover is as big as a small 100 watt amp)