Thoughts on SRX???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by saabguy, Feb 24, 2009.

1. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

Looking for a CPO SUV and i don't see much that comes close to this for value. power 3rd row seat, all the amenities, seems to ride very nice, and it looks like 07-08 models can be had for below $30k. we looked at honda pilots & toyota highlanders too, which weren't as nice and were more expensive. Other one we have been considering is the Volvo XC90.

Thoughts on these or suggestions for something else???

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

They are more of a wagon than a real SUV, which is a bonus for most people I'm sure. They ride nice, handle well and perform well.

3. caddymac

caddymac New Member

I know when my aunt was looking for a crossover, she said that she didn't care for getting in and out of the SRX, and that the bottom part of the door jamb would collect dirt/mud that later goes right on a skirt/dress. She went with a Murano instead.

Since I'm a male, all of that above probably would not bother me. I've seen some of the '04's go for the lower teens, so the resale must be poor. The 3.6 is a decent motor and the rest of the vehicle seems pretty rock solid, so I think it's quite a used buy.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I prefer the stylings of the Volvo XC90 and think it is more refined than your average SRX. Keep in mind this is just my opinion. I see SRX's almost as much as escalades and H2's over here. XC90 has a little more class and is not as obnoxious. Plus the V8 seems to have some power (300+ HP and 300+ TQ. If I was in the market for a luxury SUV, that would be my pick.

5. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

well, the SRX also is available with a V8 northstar engine that's 320hp/315tq, so i've been keeping an eye out for those. fuel mileage is practically identical for the v6 vs. v8.

i liked the xc90 too, the ride felt very solid and well put together. the only thing i didn't like about the xc90 was some of the interior features looked a little dated, and it didn't quite have as many amenities as the srx. but if i can't find a good srx for a good price, i'd be happy with the volvo. around here, everyone has xc90's though.

i kind of like the crossover style though. the car is going to be for my wife, and i actually would have liked a 9-5 wagon, but she refuses to drive a wagon. so this would be a nice compromise.

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah...I'm sure that Northstar moves pretty good! I guess I just don't like having the same vehicle as everyone else. If there were more XC90's, I would probably get the SRX just to be different. I doubt you will be dissatisfied with either option. Have you looked into any other luxury crossovers/suvs. I know you said the highlanders and pilots weren't too great, but what about Acura MDX, BMW x5, infinity FX45, range rover/LR3, g-class or m-class mercedes.

Keep in mind that some of these might not fit your budget.

I'm sure you will make the right decision.

7. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

so i found one that has my interest peaked a little, i had to email several times to figure out exactly what options it had (the online description had it described as a V8 in one section and a V6 in the other; AWD in one section and RWD in another :bcr: )

the guy gets back to me and tells me exactly what it is (finally) and it's got what we want, so i tell him "maybe we can come by next week/weekend to see it" because we're away for a few days. he says that's fine, just give him 24 hours notice because the owner's wife has been driving it and he wants to make sure it's there and prepped. then about 10 minutes later he fires me off another email

"just a heads up……another sales agent has a customer interested in that vehicle…..give me a call when you get a chance I’ll be here till 7 tonight and I’m off tomorrow"

REALLY??? I BETTER MOVE QUICK ON IT, HUH? /turnip-truck

does he really think people are going to get into a bidding war at a GM dealership? :rofl:

8. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

bought it :bigok:

2007, 25K miles, white-diamond with black leather

V8
    AWD
    power 3rd row seat
    Ultra-View moonroof
    NAV
    rear-seat DVD
    Magnetic Ride Control suspension
    towing package
    6 yr/100k Certified Pre-Owned warranty

$26,500 :coold:

will post pics once we have it, they were cleaning it up and running it through the shop this week for the CPO, should have it Saturday.

9. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

nice. post pics once it's ready.

10. TriShield

I think 07s have the new CTS-like interior, they are vastly nicer inside than earlier years.

They depreciate like rocks too. :eek3:

11. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

:werd:

07 got a big interior upgrade. i don't think they had this one priced correctly from the beginning, though. some may think this is a car-sales gimmic, but the owner bought this for his wife new and it's been her car all along. it hasn't even been on the lot, they had to call her to bring it in for the morning last Saturday so they could at least wash it before we came to test-drive. it still had her coffee mug in the cup-holder, so unless this little po-dunk vermont dealership was pulling off some elaborate scheme, i believe it. plus, the owner was there and he filled us in on all the details.

anyway, they weren't "actively" trying to sell it, other than a couple of obscure online listings. when we started negotiating, they went in the back-room and looked up what other dealers were selling comparable cars for. i think that was an eye-opener for them...this one was "listed" for $27,900 and i was seeing a lot of V6 without NAV or some other options for close to $30k. I think we kind of lucked out :dunno:

12. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

a couple of pics...

it's very comfortable, seems pretty solid, and it's really fun to drive. nice having the power 3rd row seat option, and the giant moon-roof will be great in the summer. V8 is nice, as is the Magnetic Ride Control suspension...it makes for really smooth daily driving but really stiffens up if the driver decides to be more "aggressive." Nav is nice, and we've got XM for 6 months, which I like a lot more than I thought I would have. Overall, we're really happy :bigok:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

because the most important thing to look for in a SUV is its acceleration from a roll...:ugh2:

14. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

says the guy driving a grand am...

:hsugh:

it's also the 320hp northstar V8, so i don't see how you are calling it "slow" compared to your grand am...

15. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Are they stlil making these? Or are they getting replaced by the upcoming CTS Wagon?

FWIW, I like the SRX better.

16. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

looks like they're making both :dunno:

but i'm not sold on the new design...

[​IMG]

17. TriShield

The new one is a fancy Equinox. The original SRX was a CTS wagon with an increased ride height and AWD.