Thoughts on slow drive transfer rate

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So I replaced the 320GB drives in my RAID and backed up everything to the old drives as I pulled them out 1 at a time (aka, all my data is on the old RAID drives). I setup the RAID (with the new 1TB drives) and am transfering files back onto it with the old drives sitting next to my case and plugged in internally (SATA-II). The drives are transfering really slow and are slow when browsing within them (not as slow when browsing as the read is, the writing isn't too bad either). I am running Windows XP SP3 and don't have much else installed right now (I reformatted/reloaded Windows as well) so its pretty much a fresh install. My OS is not on the RAID but a separate drive and it seems fine. Anyone have any ideas why its transfering so slow? What all would cause an internal drive to run slow?

I didn't check for new drivers but used the ones I used before. I suppose I can check to see if there is a new SATA controller driver but doubt thats the issue.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

What kind of drives are we talking about here? Both old and new must be SATA, but what brand/model? If you were going from higher RPM drives to the newer "green" drives that focus on sound/heat/power consumption, you might notice a little less performance.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

The drives I am copying from were in my RAID and are formatted as NTFS now. They are Seagate ES 320GB 7.2k SATA-II drives that I bought in December and have moderate use.

After removing them I had 1 left over that wasn't used for backup and have it as my OS drive now. It runs normal, it's just the ones I was using as backups. I think I am going to try a different port on my motherboard to see if thats the issue.