GUN Thoughts On Remington 700p

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PUREVIL, Feb 10, 2009.

1. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I've always wanted a long range rifle and I've read and heard good things about the Rem 700 and i like tacticool stuff so i was thinking about getting a 700p in 308. Thoughts and scope suggestions? Id like to get a nightforce 12X42X56 NXS and NF rings and base.

2. PUREVIL

Well I have alot of access to farm land so I can see shooting 500 to 1000 pretty easy but Im sure I'll be at the range 90% of the time which I think has a 300 yard target.

3. PUREVIL

OMG thanks! Wow thats alot of copy/paste!

The second to last post yar1182 is what i was kind of thinking. I actually think hes talking to me? LOL

I was thinking about accuracy internationals, barretts, etc but 308 is a pretty common round and its much cheaper than 50 and .338 lupua. I cant shoot, my only other bolt action is a .17 hmr for gopher poppin. Plus I like remington products they are pretty reliable and shit. I figured a good rule is to buy glass equal or a little more than the cost of the rifle. I was thinking about .223 also since I have an ar and it would be nice to keep the calibers the same so I can buy in bulk, but the shop has a nightforce scope (i have to recheck which model) and 700p in stock, and im a last minute at the counter type shopper. So im not going to lie i really want to buy it tomorrow just for the hell of it. LOL

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

If your wanting to shoot out to a 1000yd's I wouldnt get a 308

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

It sounds like you are wanting a cool long rifle to round out your collection. No harm in that, but it's a completely different paradigm than trying to maximize your performance/dollar ratio. Hell, if you could find a good snag on an AI, it would likely appreciate in value considerably.

Agreed. Though I think when most people say that they want to shoot at a grand, it's kinda one of those things that they have in the back of their minds that they might do *someday*. 1K always struck me as somewhat of an arbitrary number, as I'd bet money that most people have no idea just how far that is, or what it's like making hits there. Hell, I'd bet most people don't even have access to a 1k yd range within a couple hours.

If you are the type who isn't wanting to handicap yourself if you ever come across such a range once in awhile, a 308 could work. Plenty of people do it, they even have entire disciplines set up to shoot that specific combo. Hell, I could eventually walk in some Core-Lokts into a target at 1k if given enough time.... the difference is consistency. If you are specifically wanting to shoot that kind of distance, and are trying to bolster your first-round hit percentage, a 308 (especially using commercial ammo) likely isn't your best bet.

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I know you can afford it, get it mang. :mamoru:

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

why is that

edit nevermind

8. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Not flat shooting enough.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

OP, how about a 243 winchester? It's a 308 case necked down to accept .244 bullet. It's pretty flat shooting without the recoil you get with magnum cartridges.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

243 is the hot shit.

Run the ballistics on Tubbs DTAC bullets. Insaaaaaaaane.

11. LancerV

What do you think of 243 AI?

12. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

The reason to pick up 308 is because it's widely available, and although not cheap, cheaper than less common stuff. Although not easy at 1k, as often as most people will shoot that far, it will get by.

Oh and this is what 1000 yards looks like:

[​IMG]

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Not the best picture to show how 1000 yards look like...

14. LancerV

That only looks about a yard to the proper target

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Even hotter shit. I don't have one, but do have a 243 donor that I'd like to get punched eventually.

Both are hot though, and don't have the greatest barrel life. I don't really care, as this will be a hunting rifle and I'm not concerned with X counts or shit like that.

I'm wanting to say that someone was factory loading some badass 243 rounds? Likely Black Hills or Cor-Bon, but I don't remember.

16. LancerV

17. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl:

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

If you're going to be doing just bench shooting the 700P is fine, or even one of their Tactical or VS line would be good, as they're a little cheaper than the "P". If you're going to hunt and carry it around at all, I would HIGHLY reccomend the LTR. It's what I have in .308 and I've stalked with it hunting deer in the woods no problem. I've also killed a deer at 408 yds with it resting in prone, so it can do what you're looking for, just a little lighter.

19. PUREVIL

Well my range has a 300 yard target and I'd bet 90% of the field shooting I'd do in the various farms my friends own would still be 600 max. But like i 308 because its pretty standard and cheap compared to other rounds I was looking at, and its widely available. Lastly it was in stock :big grin: Which is why I bought the rifle and nightforce base and rings today.... i'll have to buy the scope on ebay since the one he has in stock is 600 more than on ebay and it has less magnification. The shop has a 3.5X15X56 for $2400 the one on ebay was 12X42X56 for 1880 and free shipping. I also ordered a versapod bipod today. I'll order the scope tonight probably.

The type of shooting I'll do 90% of the time is target shooting. But I have two friends in ND and 4 in Vancouver that love to go gopher/prairie dog shooting. I have a 17 hmr for that but it wouldnt hurt to break out the 700 for some of the longer shots.

20. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

12-42x56? Jesus.

21. LancerV

Seriously has the money to spend 1900 on a scope that he wont use for a 308 and is worried about the price of ammo

22. PUREVIL

Price is always an issue for me, because I have so many projects going on all the time. I have really messed up priorities on spending sometimes. Plus I can transfer the scope to future rifles (98b or m82).... right now Im not 100% sure how much i'll even get to shoot. If you guys think 42 is to much and not practical then say so... I like the idea of having to much, then not enough.

But lets look at it like this.... 5.5X22X56 is $1632 and the 8X32X56 is $1755. At that point why just spend the extra $100 or $200 get the top of the line over kill, and who knows later on I may buy a barrett or AI and put it on there instead?

I came in here cuz im a self admitted noob and I seek the wisdom of wmd crew. But I hate the typical OT replies, im seeking serious advice from senior ranking wmd crew members. My user title says it all. :big grin:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  23. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

The issue is not that 42 is too much the issue is more that 12 is too much. For shooting 90% inside 300 and hunting inside 100 12x is going to be slower to pick up targets. You'll never use 42, but you would use 6x or 10x all the time. That's why you got it cheaper, no one wants a 12x42x56. Scopes are like woman's asses. You don't want them too big or too small.

Send her back before you mount it on rings and go to gander or better yet a popular range and look through some scopes. Then buy a POS scope for <$150 and shoot it for a few weeks at various distances, like a 3x9 or 6x18. I'm the king of buy once cry once, but you'll probably be crying twice either way.

You may decide a 10x super sniper is the way to go and now you've got 1500 to put into having GAP sexify your 700.

I've got a $20 3x .22 scope on my $2k AR. I've shot it at various distances and now know exactly what I want so I didn't have to drop a grand on an acog that I'm not happy with.

24. PUREVIL

Ahh ok thanks fatmoocow. so maybe the 5.5 X 22 is the way to go? I need to go try my friends rifle out and see what scope hes got and what power I like shooting at, correct?

25. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The game in optics is not to collect X's. NF makes good stuff, but if you want to be a balla check out the new Premier Heritage.