Thoughts on possible setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bruticus, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Doing a bit of research over the last few days and here's what I've currently got laid out.

Intel CORE 2 DUO E6400/ 2.13GHz/ 2MB CACHE/ 1066FSB/ LGA775
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3(V3.3) motherboard
    2xWD 320Gb 7200 16Mb Cache SATA 2 Hard Disk
    Corsair DDR2 2GB PC-5300 (1GBx2) Value Select (VS2GBKIT667D2)
    GIGABYTE NX76T256D-RH GEF7600GT, 256MB, DDRIII, PCIEx16, DUAL-LINK DVI, SILENT-PIPE II
    Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Re-Writer (18x/8x Dual Layer Black)
    Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Tower (450W)
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers

I have a keyboard, mouse and screen that I'm happy with.

Currently running a P4 2.8 with 1GB DDR and a 6600GT (AGP). I'm not 100% on getting a new case, though I would prefer a black one to my current white/beige full tower.

All up the above will cost me ~$1500 (AU) and I'm not 100% sure it's worth spending the cash on an upgrade (well, basically a new PC) right now.

Thoughts or ideas?

Cheers.

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

waht do you plan on doing with this PC?

3. Bruticus

Nothing too stressful really, which is why I'm sort of hesitant in buying another one. The most stressful thing would be the odd game, but that is maybe once a month or so. Mostly for coding really.

4. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

p4 2.8 is plenty for coding.

Throw another 512 in it and be done for a year or so. Upgrade and turn the old machine into a fileserver or media center later on.

5. Bruticus

Yeah I know it is and it does everything I need right now, still have the lingering want to upgrade it. Haven't made my mind up about it.

Still, on the setup above what are your thoughts/ideas?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get an intel mobo

speakers suck

7. Create

Create :free at last:

Intel MB if you're alright with no overclocking. Asus otherwise. Better memory for big OC as well.

Speaker do suck.

Best GB/$ for HDD is 400GB drives.

Consider moving to the E6600 processor for the larger cache. Should be $100 US diff.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Put a RAID in it. That's always fun, it clears up a nasty bottleneck, and if a hard drive takes a shit, your data doesn't go away.

On a side note, one of my Raptors dropped out of sync with my RAID the other night, and I was finally able to test the hot-swappability and rebuilding speed of my NetCell controller. It did let me pop the drive out and put it back in without shutting anything off or issuing an unmount command to the controller, and it rebuilt the 75GB disk in about 45 minutes. So, for $25, not too shabby. It doesn't use the CPU for calculations either -- I just kept on playing Rise of Nations without a hiccup.

9. Create

Create :free at last:

Very nice.

In the OP's box, you could also tack on a small Raptor drive for the working OS, then backup to your RAID array.

Bells & whistles, baby!

10. deusexaethera

Yeah, I'm a big (post-mortem) fan of NetCell cards. Pity that the company tanked, but there's apparently still a hefty supply of the cards to go around, and their proprietary RAID-3-ish algorithm works very well.

If one were to do something like this, though, one might as well keep the OS on the RAID too, for the sake of not having to worry about the OS drive dying. The OS drive is going to take the hardest beating, after all.

11. deusexaethera

I have a set of Logitech speakers. They're not bad, per se, but they aren't great. I had to hunt down and silence a buzz in the amplifier inside the bass speaker when I first got the thing (loose ball of solder tucked away inside a plastic thingy), and now my volume control isn't working right. My mother has a newer version of the set I have, and the volume control has been improved and the bass adjuster is now next to the volume knob instead of on the back of the bass speaker, but you still need a careful hand and a good ear to get your equalizers set to where the speakers aren't bass- and treble-heavy.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my father has a pair of $1500 JBL Professional studio monitors that weigh 35lbs each, have separate amps, accept all kinds of digital and analog inputs, and come with a tuning microphone that you plug into the left-side monitor and hit a button and the monitors will go "BWOOOP!" and automatically adjust themselves for frequency spikes and unwanted resonance. Goddamn those speakers sound good.