MIL Thoughts on new Air Force BMT

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HatShapedHat, Feb 5, 2007.

1. HatShapedHat

HatShapedHat Active Member

in no way shape or form is this recent news...but i wanted to get people's opinions on the Air Force's decision to extend their BMT by 2 weeks to make more "warrior ready" airmen..(or however they specifically worded it)

i believe they'll begin the new BMT this coming October, along with the extended basic, the new ABU's are going to be given to trainee's...for those who've seen the photos the ABU's have a fairly similar look to the ACU's of the Army....i leave for basic in late march, so i don't get to experience the new BMT program

just wondering what people's opinions are on what this means for the future of the airman and what the Air Force is trying to accomplish with an extra two weeks of training...i'm a n00b when it comes to the military so i know nah-ting:ugh2: ...just tryin to fill my head up with a little knowledge

<(*-*)>'s off to you

2. shiba

shiba Active Member

I've heard from a master sgt that there are airmen being retrained into the army and marines.

3. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

I really wonder what they have planned for the extension. If they r extending warrior week, then they r wasting our time. Warrior week has a good theory behind it, but it isn't great in practice. What does warrior week entail? Waking up everyday with almost 2 hours less sleep every night cause of the tent guard schedule coupled with the 45 mins less sleep time alotted than regular basic days..which isn't enuff anyway. What do u do with this extra time? Sit on those cold ass hard bleachers doing nothing but reviewing ur airmans manual which has nothing testable in it. Warrior week frustrated everyone as 2 major things were missing: #1 positive reinforcement #2 the ability to make the correct decision disappeared (along with our hygeine!)

Less folding clothes will happen the day I become a billionaire. Folding clothes is part of teaching discipline...or just how to cheat the system better (live out of ur laundry bag, bdus = 1 set u wear, 1 perfect set in locker that goes nowhere, ever and 2 sets in the dry cleaner).

The only sensible 2 week addition to me would be the security forces augmentee training; it seems we're all gunna get it anyway. Will that happen? Probably not.... However it is the suspicion of many that the af is becoming the new infantry. I've already been told to expect to be deployed not to do my job (pest management). Do I care? Train me the right way and I won't mind as much...

Re: airmen being trained as soldiers: they prob took the blue to green program.

4. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I just got done deploying outside of my job. Basic training doesn't need to change. Hell I think they should get the old PT gear and BDUs even when the new stuff comes out just because it teaches discipline. Warrior week was a joke. Security Forces training could just as easily cover the same stuff since most of them live that training for the rest of their careers. I'm just glad I won't ever have to deal with all of that sillyness....

5. HatShapedHat

1: i'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that less folding has already taken place...they've converted themselves from the "old" way of folding certain things to just rolling them up...and they estimated it saves them a total of like 18 hours during BMT....what they do with that is beyond me

2: it was my thinking that in the future airmen and soldiers are going to be working closer together for mini-ground missions...wait for flaming...maybe with the idea of army recruitment being low??? can't recruit soldiers, recruit airmen...and train them as soldiers??? kks now you may flame

<(*-*)>'s off to you

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

The Air Force will never be "the new infantry". Anyone that would believe that knows nothing about either the Air Force or the Infantry.

And you won't be made into a Soldier. You can't insert two weeks of training into the Air Force culture and expect to spit Soldiers out the other end.

7. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

I was only stating an opinion. It would make sense to utilize persons from an overmanned, overrecruited service to augment the undermanned service that can't keep up its recruiting goals. Yes you are right that it wouldnt make sense that 2 weeks would make the world of difference and turn airmen into amazing soldiers, but would it be so far fetched? You could at very minimum teach them how to become effective, but not perfect ministers of death. We are seeing all kinds of new methods being used with this whole "total force" stuff going on.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

How about 60 day training?

9. HatShapedHat

no it won't be the new infantry...and nobody said it was going to be...but i agree with the comment above...is it so far fetched to have this training be the beginning to making our airmen more capable as infantry men to mearly lend a helping hand rather than take over??? i don't think so...the air force will never be the army/ marines...and i don't think anybody is thinking that...and like you said above...anybody that does think that knows nothing...if you want to be infantry....goarmy.com

<(*-*)>'s off to you

10. Pusan

Pusan New Member

Apparently you guys get beat up and do 25 mile rucks with the TI's buttstroking youi n the face for falling out now.

Sounds like you got one on Parris Island.

11. Ranger-AO

If you mean 60 days of training by the Army in an Army environment, yes.

12. Jyokker

That is what we go through now, or are supposed to.

13. HatShapedHat

i actually read something about that occuring with Army personal training Navy and Air Force personal for more advanced training...course now for the life of me i can't find the article online anymore :-/

ps, Ranger...i'm almost never on the forums...what are you...a father of 2 Rangers...or a Ranger yourself...or a combination of both? i could never figure that out

14. Jyokker

It is called In Lieu of Training.

Rump Ranger :mamoru:

15. Ranger-AO

None of the above.

I'm a Combat Engineer in the Army National Guard.
    My oldest son is an active duty Combat Engineer in the 3rd Infantry Division.
    My second oldest son is an active duty Air Force bomber avionics tech.

16. Ranger-AO

... so that's what you get instead of real training? :hsugh: