Thoughts on later model S10 ZR2's?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Apr 24, 2007.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I've always liked the ZR2's, and I am looking for a new vehicle in the next year.. My 91 F150 has 271k on it, (150k on rebuilt motor) tranny seal is goin out, basically, she isn't going to last forever! Anyway, anything to look for, avoid with the ZR2's?

I could always do a LS1 swap at a later date too :o That would be my ultimate goal if I ended up with one. :dunno:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

crappy resale.... thats good for you.

3. StealthMode

4. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

the 4.3 is a rock and pretty quick/fun

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

s10 has always been a solid truck, and has a huge aftermarket for it. not too mention everyone has built it in some fashion. lower mile late models (99-02) can be had for a decent price,

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I heart my LMC Truck catalog :) With a basic rolling chassis you can basically build a factory-spec truck out of that catalog, lol.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:bowrofl: so true! it just so happens that I have my latest issue right here that I received Tuesday!

8. StealthMode

I just can't decide between getting this, or a car... An S10 will deffinetly be more versatile over all... Plus I really like the ZR2's style, mini big truck :hsd:

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:hs: ok, in all honesty, if it's between a bigger sedan or the ZR2, i'd prolly go with the car, but i just got rid of my formula for something bigger. if you can find a ZR2 blazer, that would be killer IMO.

edit: and i even have an ext cab S10, just not enough room for me and the gf when we were running errands.

10. StealthMode

Yea, good point. I guess it all depends on what I find a better deal on.
    Aren't the ZR2 blazers 2 door only? That would be counter productive for me if I were getting a Blazer.. :o But I might just look at those too.....then I might as well check out a Jeep Grand Cherrokee, but those tend to be more expensive...anyway, back on topic! :o

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

lol, yeah, but you gain a backseat and the cargo area for some stereo....er storage. i'm personally a fan of more room right now. i just got a 2000 Edie Bauer Explorer for $10,500 with 59k, so i'm all attention whoring about it. :o and sorry about straying off, just wanted to put that blazer bug in your head :mamoru:

anyways, like i've said, i love my s10, and the ZR2s are fun to ride around in.

12. StealthMode

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a Blazer..

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've got a 4dr jimmy (non zr-2) but with a tbar crank you can shove 31's under there and it's as good as any ZR2 offroad, but much more functional on-road for people and gear.

I did a Yakima LoadWarrior w/extension and have 4xHella 500's and the 31" spare mounted in the rack. Looks great.

14. StealthMode

Got any pics?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea I can post some tonight, after work.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Stock suspension except for the 31x10.50R15 Mud Terrains on stock wheels. I replaced the spare, too. Basket is a Yakima LoadWarrior with the extension on the factory roof rack. The lights are installed on a Yakima Light Accessory Attachment, with a custom attachment for the middle two lights. Very inexpensive vehicle to purchase and very inexpensive to maintain. It fits 4 adults very comfortably with all our gear and has proven to be an absolute blast. I'd recommend one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. StealthMode

The pics aren't working... :sad2:

Edit: Ok, I just pasted the link into my browser and they work. Nice :) Those tires tax the motor at all? Or is it still pretty snappy?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

still *VERY* snappy. Those 4.3L's are troopers. She'll chirp the tires off the line. Around a corner or doing a power-brake and you'll get plumes of smoke.

19. StealthMode

So I've seen. Do they have a limited slip by chance? I've seen a few burnouts with both tires in smoke..

How many miles are on yours and what year?

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Mine is a 1998 with 160k miles on it. Still running strong with just oil changes.

You can get the G80 locker in it from the factory, or they have several aftermarket options, as well.

21. StealthMode

How much is that?
    Also, what kind of performance can you get out of them?

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

perf depends on motor. They had several "revisions" from TBI to CPI to MPSEFI.

Mine I think was rated 195HP and 260LbsFt from the factory.

You can do LOTS to them to upgrade the power. They use a 4L60E tranny, so there's dozens of mods to get those better. As for the motor, there are forced induction kits that simply bolt-on. You've got dozens of other options for lesser performance gains. And there's always the faithful motor swap. I've seen loads of 350 swaps, as well as many 5.3L swaps, even a few LS2 swaps, one LS6/7 swap, and one cummins diesel!

I have added a Flowmaster 40. Sounds good. But I don't think exhaust actually adds any power.

I tried an intake, but didn't like it. A buddy had a 1998 Blazer and he hydrolocked the motor thanks to him being a dumbass.

Personally, I'm leaving mine basically stock until I decide to just go-nuts. I did tires/rack/lights more or less out of necessity.

I would love to do a 5.3L swap along with a SAS. But until I get the cash to do that, I'm likely leaving it the way it is. It's damn cheap to maintain.

23. StealthMode

Nice. I am looking at 98 or newer, Blazer or Jimmy. I've heard the 40 series on them, and I really like how they sound. :big grin: Your mods are close to what I would want to do as well.

Are there any performance programmers out that have any decent gains or are basically worth the money?

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I will have to find it again. There was one chip that interfaced with the transmission control unit and at the flip of a switch you could firm the shifts up. Basically a "normal" and "performance" setting. I've heard they work well. Otherwise, there's not much programming needed unless you're doing forced induction.

25. StealthMode

Thats what I'd be looking for, perfect! I'm hoping by mid late summer or fall to have something picked out, Blazer or Jimmy preferably.. We'll see I guess.