Thoughts on JBL Venue speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Beason, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the venue series is replacing the old northridge series, i believe, which for a lower end line was pretty good, you can probably find these online for pretty damn cheap, i always recommend JBL for entry level, high output, not a lot of money, good for someone newer to home audio, imo

3. Beason

well its for an apartment. No full blown home audio. Probally only doing a 3.0 set up, maybe 3.1. I wish I could do 5.1 but the room is configure very oddly with its TV placement.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

go for it

have you had floor standers before?

5. Beason

no, only bookshelf speakers on stands.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you should be pretty pleased with these

7. harleysilo

harleysilo New Member

Just thought I'd provide some input....

I purchased 2 pairs of the JBL's last weekend, these
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pr...age=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=BFS&ser=VEN

2 for the living room just to have "party" music going on in the background in stereo, very impressed with the lack of distortion and bass output when cranked up, however the bass is amplified b/c they are setting in the top shelf of a built in bookcase......

the other 2 were placed in our partially finished basement, so the acoustics is all fucked up down there, they even sound better there but I also picked up a new tuner (harmon-Karden stereo tuner only) so that could be affecting it. I did however want a little more base in the basement so I picked this up yesterday....

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pr...age=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=SUB&ser=CNS

fucking thing bumps, can hear all over house, it's really too much, but the other one, $70 cheaper, I could turn up all the way in the store, this one I turn up 1/4 way and it's too loud...perfect!

I paid $177 pair for the speakers, and $369 for the sub. Pretty happy!

Now a question if anyone has made it through this whole post....

In the basement, which is U shaped I plan to have a total of 4 speakers, 2 on one side of U, 2 on the other, sub in middle. Stereo only, good idea>?