Thoughts on expanding a MMA gym?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mr. Pelham, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

There may be an opportunity for me to buy an MMA gym in the near future. I discussed it with my business partner yesterday to see if it was something I'd be interested in.

With all of the commercial competition, I would essentially like to take this MMA gym and provide what other gyms don't. Aside from the MMA training what other things could we offer?

We would move the location to a more more centrally located area for more people to join, but I wouldn't want it to be exclusively MMA as it is right now.

Could we essentially combine SM/PL with MMA or could we go traditional training? I'm on the fence about it, and its most likely going to fall in our laps by next week if the current interest passes on it.

thoughts?

2. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

I'd do it right now because of the crazy bandwagon train going on, profit madness

3. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

the current owner is breaking even on it year after year. He's got roughly 40 members and thats it. An up and comer/semi pro is running the place. I know that its a sport that has been booming and has great potential, which is why I want to consider it. I think there may be more to add that would attract others to join.

4. Sylva

Sylva New Member

If you can create a gym similar to http://www.athleticperformanceinc.biz/ you may have something.

There are just so many mma gyms out there right now, many of them run and taught by totally unqualifed ppl, so thats something to keep in mind.

Overall it seems to be a good idea. B/c unless it's one of the main big MMA camps in the US. Many of them lack any kind of good weight training area for their fighters so they have dual memberships. One at the MMA gym and one at a regular gym. I know for one, I would love to only have to go one place.

5. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

Thats what I said yesterday. I think it would be one side MMA and the other would be strength/conditioning training as you'd see at any traditional gym.

Thanks for teh link, i'll check that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.