Thoughts on creatine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by RedMage44x, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedMage44x

RedMage44x New Member

I just got back into a regular lifting routine about 3 months ago, and have seen moderate gains in muscle mass/ power. I am not looking for a quick fix, but have been considering creatine. I had some roommates a couple of years back (2001) that used it and had definite results. I stayed away from it b/c I didn't know if there were any side effects.

Most of the research that I have done doesn't really mention anything except for possible kidney problems. Does anyone have any bad experiences with creatine?

2. thenorthwest

thenorthwest New Member

Creatine is widely considered a safe, basic supplement. Just drink lots of water while taking it to avoid dehydration. Creatine Ethyl Ester is currently a popular form of creatine that is more easily retained by the muscles, allowing you to consume less of it and reduce the amount of water retention/bloating sometimes associated with its use.

3. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

small segment from a larger medical study:

SKELETAL MUSCLE AND EXERCISE

Creatine supplementation augments the increase in satellite cell and myonuclei number in human skeletal muscle induced by strength training

Steen Olsen1, Per Aagaard1,2, Fawzi Kadi3, Goran Tufekovic1, Julien Verney3, Jens L. Olesen1, Charlotte Suetta1 and Michael Kjær1 [SIZE=-1]1 Institute of Sports Medicine Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
    2 Institute of Sports Sciences and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Odeuse, Denmark
    3 Department of Physical Education and Health, Örebro University, 70182, Orebro, Sweden [/SIZE]
    The present study investigated the influence of creatine and protein supplementation on satellite cell frequency and number of myonuclei in human skeletal muscle during 16 weeks of heavy-resistance training. In a double-blinded design 32 healthy, male subjects (19–26 years) were assigned to strength training (STR) while receiving a timed intake of creatine (STR-CRE) (n = 9), protein (STR-PRO) (n = 8) or placebo (STR-CON) (n = 8), or serving as a non-training control group (CON) (n = 7). Supplementation was given daily (STR-CRE: 6–24 g creatine monohydrate, STR-PRO: 20 g protein, STR-CON: placebo). Furthermore, timed protein/placebo intake were administered at all training sessions. Muscle biopsies were obtained at week 0, 4, 8 (week 8 not CON) and 16 of resistance training (3 days per week). Satellite cells were identified by immunohistochemistry. Muscle mean fibre (MFA) area was determined after histochemical analysis. All training regimes were found to increase the proportion of satellite cells, but significantly greater enhancements were observed with creatine supplementation at week 4 (compared to STR-CON) and at week 8 (compared to STR-PRO and STR-CON) (P < 0.01–0.05). At week 16, satellite cell number was no longer elevated in STR-CRE, while it remained elevated in STR-PRO and STR-CON. Furthermore, creatine supplementation resulted in an increased number of myonuclei per fibre and increases of 14–17% in MFA at week 4, 8 and 16 (P < 0.01). In contrast, STR-PRO showed increase in MFA only in the later (16 week, +8%) and STR-CON only in the early (week 4, +14%) phases of training, respectively (P < 0.05). In STR-CRE a positive relationship was found between the percentage increases in MFA and myonuclei from baseline to week 16, respectively (r = 0.67, P < 0.05). No changes were observed in the control group (CON). In conclusion, the present study demonstrates for the first time that creatine supplementation in combination with strength training amplifies the training-induced increase in satellite cell number and myonuclei concentration in human skeletal muscle fibres, thereby allowing an enhanced muscle fibre growth in response to strength training.

4. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Creatine is dangerous. The fitness industry has thrown caution out the wind with this supplement. I don't know how they are getting away with it. Its basically the most anabolic substance known to man. I knew a girl who worked at GNC who was cleaning up after someone dropped a container of that shit and now she looks like a man. Coincidence? I think not.

5. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

A simple "Creatine killed my father, and raped my mother" troll would have done too :mamoru: but I'll give you points for creativity

6. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Be careful. That shit's no joke.

7. slang4lavatory

slang4lavatory New Member

8. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

creatine rage.

9. Baited

Baited Fur Ballin OT Supporter

its great if you are looking for muscles filled with water (bloat!) and then your "new muscle" (water) will deplete when you get off it. so basically you get bigger but its just water that goes away once you run out of creatine.

so the pros to creatine: look bigger for as long as money allows

cons: no real muscle, bitch tits, puffy look/bloat, empty wallet.

good luck

10. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

:wtf: No where I have ever read or anyone I have ever seen has stated or said anything about creatine giving bitch tits!!! Fucking moron!!

:bsflag: :gtfo2:

11. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

The mans whose arms exploded didn't do anything because of creatine. He was shooting synthol on a daily basis and got abscesses from the oil just sitting there and getting infected. I've known many people who have gotten abscesses from shooting roids too often in one area. Creatine had nothing to do with that jackass!!

12. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

watch out for the gyno

13. deznutz

deznutz New Member

14. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Ok, what am I missing here? Were you just being sarchastic in your first post? Remember, I'm old, I don't always get things the first time. :wavey:

15. thenorthwest

thenorthwest New Member

16. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

:bowrofl: @ scooby

17. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

:bowrofl:

+1 for creatine killed my father and raped my mother

18. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i never noticed anything off creatine until I went up 25g a day. Then I just got the shits

19. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

BDR... I love ya man but you missed the boat on this one.

20. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

I've never noticed anything from it.

21. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Yep, ya'll got me good!!!:bowdown:

22. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

there is so much wrong with this post...

23. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Mono makes me bloated but I perfer it over cee

24. trancezj

trancezj New Member

I almost forgot why I don't post here anymore. almost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.