GUN Thoughts on an FN Hi-Power?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Co-worker has one he's selling. It's in .40 S&W. Haven't seen it, no details on condition. He's a big gun nut and is always buying & selling stuff. Kinda like some people on this forum. :hsugh:

Anyway. Anybody have experience with one of these?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i've shot an FN hi-power in 9mm. they're great fucking guns, i'd like to get one in the future

3. JaimeZX

Thinking about getting it for my wife, but she has little hands and the HP is a double-stack. I don't want to waste his time or hers if I can already guess that it's too big for her. OTOH I've heard nothing but good about them.

:run: WHAT TO DO??

4. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

buy the fucking gun. there is no such thing as owning too many guns. let alone such a thing as owning too many guns designed by John Moses Browning.

5. JaimeZX

Yah. That's true. John Browning FTMFW. My next gun was going to be *something* for *her* so if it doesn't fit her I'd feel guilty about it. Still.... Hm. Definately going to look into it. :big grin:

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Could you meet him at a range and let her shoot it?

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I love my FN HP, it's a 9mm, but it shoots great. I have a set of slim grips on mine that helped slim it down a bit. How much is he asking?

8. JaimeZX

Okay, I have it here next to me. It's basically NIB; he put about 75 rounds through it when he got it a few years ago and it's been in his closet ever since. Looks fabulous. He's asking $415.

Ming likes how it feels, but the dang slide release is so tight and her hands are so small it's near impossible for her to drop the slide without holding the gun REALLY funny and squeezing about as hard as she can. It's effort for ME and I can reach it with my thumb.

Anyway, we're going to put a box through it tomorrow afternoon and decide then. What'd'y'all think? :o

9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

Ciener makes a .22 conversion kit for the hi power.

the spring could be really heavy and you might be able to drop it a couple pounds to get it to work ok, and somebody probably makes an extended or lengthened slide release. besides you could probably still pull the slide back so you can drop it. is it just going to be a range gun?

10. Fedge

Fedge New Member

John Browning was a brilliant man, and he thought that this was "it"--the pinnacle of pistol design. I owe a few HPs and they're all fantastic weapons. If you get a chance to test fire it, go for it.

It's a 9mm 1911--as Browning intended.

11. Fedge

Fedge New Member

For $415, that's a pretty awesome deal.

My nitpick recommendation: you can increase the life of your pistol, and decrease the wear on your slide stop by "slingshotting" the slide into battery. Using the slide stop to release the slide puts wear and tear on the weapon that can be avoided. Whatever you do, shoot the crap out of it. Then post pics :naughty:

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not sure why but it always bothers me when someone pulls it back and releases the slide when it was already held open by the slide catch. I just use the release.

13. JaimeZX

Thanks for the extra inputs, guys. I was actually thinking she might carry this. I guess she might be able to slingshot it into battery, that hadn't occured to me. We'll try it this afternoon. :)

Also - wtfheavymainspring :rofl:

14. 2L Bunny

That's the technique taught by most defensive firearms schools. The idea is that it's a gross motor movement and can be accomplished even if you're missing a finger. Using the slide stop level is a fine motor movement and really only works using the finger it was intended for.

Also if training to cover lots of weapons systems, not all guns have slide stops, or they're not all in the same position. Going over the top and racking the slide will work with everything.

It's the SUL priniciple. Simple. Universal. Logical.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Dunno. The safeties are in diff locations on all my firearms, so that's not "U" But I still manage.

16. 2L Bunny

Exactly, that's one thing that's unavoidable if you train with different weapon systems. But the slide stop/ slide racking is something that's avoidable in training.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

racking the slide is generally a 2-handed maneuver... What gives you the luxury to assume you will have both hands free?

18. 2L Bunny

If you don't have 2 hands free that's where damage control drills come in handy. Practice using the slide stop, or your belt, or leg to rack the slide. If you only have 1 hand, then you're doing full 1 handed reloads or malfunction drills.

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

Beat me to it. It's actually the universally preferred method in defensive schools all around to use the slingshot method. It's the reason why Gaston designed his guns the way he did and did not initially design the slide release to actually be used to thumb engage it.

There's also a preferred way to sling shot it as well utilizing the technique where your thumbs are pointed towards you when you slingshot it. Because of your hand muscles and gun positioning.

I can always identify the shooters on the line that has had any kind of proper training by the way they handle their firearm.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's where you utilize the back webbing of your knee to retain the pistol while you perform a mag change and then utilze eihter your buckle, or the back of your heel to rack the slide of your gun. I can even rack the slide of my gun with one hand and perform a tap rack with my knee and one hand.

Being a well rounded and proficient defensive handgunner is much more than putting rounds in a designated target. Sounds like 2L knows a thing or two. :bigthumb:

21. JaimeZX

I shoot left handed and just push the slide stop with my trigger finger. :dunno:

Also, the advantage of 1911s (and HPs I suppose) is the ability to squeeze-check the chamber and also squeeze-chamber a round. Makes one-handed work much easier. :bigthumb:

Thinking I might get this thing. :big grin:

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OR I could just use the slide release. kthxbye.

23. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

you also run the risk of missing the slide stop with your thumb, especially if a person has to move their hand. Any time my Kimber FTFs, probably from me anticipating a little and limp wristing it as a result I just have to move the slide a little bit back, let it go and all is right in the world. sometimes it takes a little bit of pressure to get it to lock though.

serrations are there for a reason, and a hi power has the front end thinned a little bit for easy gripping.

I don't see how hard it is to time slingshotting. You pull it back till it won't go back any further and just let it go while moving your hand rearward or keeping it in the same place.

the average gunfight for a civilian usually doesn't involve a mag change, so it really isn't a problem.

24. Fedge

Fedge New Member

Very true. Most of my HPs have had trigger work done. And, I still prefer my 1911s. But, the HP is a superb weapon in its own right.

25. Fedge

Fedge New Member

The reason for carrying a spare mag is less about needed the extra ammunition, and more about malfunctions. If the magazine in your weapon has a catastrophic failure, you need to be able to quickly and effectively make a mag change. If the floorplate blows out, maybe the follower gets bent to all hell--whatever the issue, carrying a second mag ensures that you've got the ability to clear a mag-related failure.