GUN Thoughts on .45 magwells

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Floyd91, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Got a new toy today. I'm thinking it is going to need a magwell eventually.

I was thinking alumagrips cut for the wilson magwell (not the speed chute).

Anyone have any experience, thoughts, criticisms? :x:

Government size :o

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

3. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

:bigthumb: I was looking for their actual website but could not find it. I really like the sp grip/well combo.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

robbie and taran run them and swear by them in 1911 single stack class there is some weight restriction too and you can get by with a tungsten guiderod and a techwell. From what I hear this is the hot combo and all other magwells with the tung guiderod put you over. From what little I played with it I think it's got the right shape and locks your hands in. The wilson well is more suited for a carry gun, or a real low profile competition gun. If it's a pure shooting/range/comeption gun the techwell is the ill shit.

5. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

It's definitely going to be a range/fun gun for now. I'd like to eventually shoot comps with it though more for fun than anything. Plus I can't leave anything stock :o

What about mags? I ran chip mccormicks in my uc2 without any problems but i'm thinking I'll need to step it up here.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

talk to ab13, i really don't mess with the 1911's

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

S&A as an alternate?

Techwell seems bigger/better, though I'm still partial to the asthetics of the former.

The stan chen legacy is what I'd love to have.

8. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Stan Chen does amazingly beautiful work. I don't even want to think about how much his shit costs :hs:

Is there any benefit to running a magwell that incorporats the main spring housing over one that attaches via the grips, other than strength?

9. My Spartan had (has, but it's not mine anymore) a Techwell. It sure as hell isn't for carry use, but it does provide a big funnel to stuff the magazine into. I liked it a lot.

10. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Which one did you go with? How did you like the grips?

11. It was the Techwell SP and it had Alumagrips. I got the gun set up with them from Springer Precision. The grips were great, they stuck in my hands like they were glued.

http://www.springerprecision.com/specials.asp

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'm kind of a boring person to ask about upgrades lately. In regards to 1911's, I'm a firm believer that anything bigger than a S&A only provides marginal gain's.

You want to reload a single stack fast, there is nothing that will replace time behind the trigger. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but dry fire it till your magwell looks like it's been drugged across concrete. Save your cash for range time and ammo.

[y]
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7uLff3Jrb8A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7uLff3Jrb8A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    [/y]

13. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

What would you suggest for moderately priced mags? Keeping in mind it's going to be a range/fun gun for the immediate future. I'm more or less testing the waters and seeing if this is something I feel I can shoot competitively. It's also something I want to tinker with myself as far as modifications go. :o

Are you hitting the mag release as you turn the pistol?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  14. AB13

AB13 New Member

For mags, I'd suggest finding someone that has a variety, find out what works in your 1911. Not all 1911's are cut the same, and some will operate only on specific magazines. The most common are Wilson 47D's, but another stand by are the Chip McCormick Shooting star mags. Shooting stars run best in my Kimbers and Colts. While my Springers and Dan Wesson seem to prefer Wilson magazines.

What ever magazines you find work, DO NOT BE CHEAP. Buy them brand new, so you are not buying anyone elses problems/projects. Do not buy them from the 5$ from your local gun show/pawn shop.

Faulty magazines can be the most common issues with a troublesome 1911. No matter what application, plinking or self defense, my #1 priority is it HAS to run, period.

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

AB, watching your videos I notice that you point the gun up in the air quite a bit when doing a mag change. Do your clubs ever give you any hell for that? I know the clubs I shoot at would have an absolute hissy fit if my muzzle was up in the air like that when I did my changes.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Being that I am the MD, no, I don't mind at my club. As long as the only place the bullet goes is into the berm.

I've had some RO's tell me they don't like it, but there is nothing they can do/enforce if it is not in the clubs rules, as it is certainly not in the USPSA rule book. But it is not restricted at the clubs I shoot at up here.

17. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I ordered a techwell sp today :noes:

I've been working on fast reloads. I'm using Chip McCormick power 10 (I think that's their name :hs:) mags. I just can't seem to get the mag released cleanly everytime. I need to rotate the gun a little to hit it solid enough. Would an oversized mag release help? Or is it more technique orientated?

I did notice the mags have a flat rim/ip all the way around at the top, would polishing that and rounding it help any?

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

Leave your mags alone, and yes, it is all technique. It's all about proper gun indexing, quick twitch and muscle memory. Hardware "helps", but it's not to be used as a crutch. When you do it under any pressure, that crutch will break.

Watch my reloads, I also have to "flip" the gun when I reload. Smaller grips also helps.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah a larger mag button does help a lot. It is just too slow to shift your grip. You got to set up the gun so you can hit all the controls with minimal shift.

I got smaller hands so I go with extended controls.

20. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Thanks guys :bigthumb: I grabbed a wilson oversized mag release to try out just in case.

21. If it's intended for IDPA use, the larger mag release button will make it illegal. Just a heads up.

22. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

It's been a thought of mine to start shooting something like that :hsd:

23. You can have an extended mag release, but not one that's larger in diameter on a 1911.

24. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

The oversized portion of the mag release is removable, leaving just the extended stock sized mag release. :o