Thoughts on 4:3 vs 16:10 laptops?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Dec 19, 2006.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Okay, I think I might actually go for a Dell laptop, after all. They're well priced, I'm told they're well reviewed, and everyone I know who has one is happy with theirs. So, the model that I'm after comes in two flavours: 4:3 and widescreen (16:10).

Which should I go for? What are the pros and cons of each size? The 4:3 literally delivers more pixels but you pay a little extra for those so it's no free ride. Suggestions and comments are welcome.
    Thank you...

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Don't buy a Dell... save up for a sub/av

3. kilamasta

kilamasta New Member

WEll 16:9 is more appropriate for the human eye( even more, like 18:9), so I would go for the widescreen one.

4. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

What's a "sub/av"?

Well, I'm not sure that's really the issue. Websites are tailored for vertical layout more than horizontal. For instance, web forums look pretty weird on a widescreen. News sites often don't even make use of their horizontal space. Source code also, naturally, extends vertically rather than horizontally.

As far as I can tell, widescreen monitors are only for widescreen media content (like movies) and applications with a timeline, like NLEs... However, this raises the question (but doesn't beg it!), why is the industry moving towards widescreen displays?

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:rofl: A subscription / avatar

6. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

They're are doing it just for the reason you presented. They are making wide-screen monitors so that people use their computers for media purposes as an "All-In-One" media center. My parents are getting my younger brother a monitor for Christmas and my father had called me asking what the difference was between the wide screen monitor and a normal monitor and that's exactly the first thing that i thought.

Widescreen = movies and media viewing
    Normal = internet/gaming use

Oh well though ^.^ I guess you can use a widescreen for gaming. Not 100% sure if it will be better or not. It could be better. Might as well be safe and just go standard.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

On a regular computer, 16:9 is good for movies and spreadsheets, that's about it. It's less useful for documents than 4:3 is, because you get to see a thinner slice of the "sheet of paper" that you're typing on. It's also not as good for videogames as 4:3 is, because it's harder to see above and below -- you'll have to pan the camera around more to see what's going on, and when you're sitting a couple of feet away from the screen, adding a couple of inches to the width of the screen does almost nothing to improve your peripheral vision in the game.

If you get a tablet PC, though, 16:9 will turn into 9:16 when you turn the tablet sideways to write on it, which means that you'll have more room at the top and bottom of the sideways screen for menus, toolbars, and the Start Bar.

Then again, on my home computer I have a pivotable screen with a 4:3 ratio, and when I turn it sideways to view documents in fullscreen mode, the 3:4 ratio fits those documents perfectly. If I had to edit them directly onscreen, I'd want the widescreen to give me room for tools like I mentioned above, but since I don't have the option to do that, having the screen the same size as a sheet of paper is fantastic.

As for widescreen fitting the human eye better, that's a load of horseshit. Being land animals, humans do tend to look side to side a lot more than we look up and down, but being predators, our stereoscopic vision doesn't lend itself to wide-angle viewing. In general, I find that widescreens often give me an instinctive sense that the ceiling is too low, that I can't see as much above and below my center of vision as I would like. Aristotle and all his friends may have said that 16:9 was the ideal proportion for objects in the natural world, but you'll notice (if you look) that Leonardo da Vinci only painted 16:9 paintings of landscapes -- when it came to portraits and still-life, 4:3 (and 3:4) was the ratio of choice.

In short: if you want the sexy, buy a widescreen. If you want the practical, buy a 4:3 screen that has the same width as whatever widescreen you were thinking of buying -- you'll appreciate the extra height.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I like my 16:9 display - much better for travel since the veritical is smaller, yet I don't have a cramped keyboard.

I play games in 16:9. I don't see any downsides come to think of it an I've had both.

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

most games that come out now have a couple of widescreen resolutions to choose from when setting it up, those that don't are few and far between.