thoughts on: 1987 CBR 600 F1 Hurricane

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dubbsy, Sep 14, 2005.

1. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

Looking for a first bike (more so secrely want a bike and came across a cheaper one I'm interested in)

The Ad

Obviously I'm not looking for a whole lot of bike, and unfortunately my knowledge on bikes is limited at best (I usually stick to 4 wheels).
    (and google comes up with minimal info, and I can't search here anymore w/o an av :rolleyes: )

Guess I'm mostly curious on what to look out for on this bike.
    With that kind of milage, are there expected issues?
    Are there things that are very finicky if not taken perfect care of?
    What's the longevity like on this bike?
    How's it ride compared to similar bikes (obviously not going to compare it to a 'busa or anything here)?
    Anyone happen to know how it compares in size to a 96 CBR 600 F3? I'm 6'4 250 so anything smaller that the 96 may be an issues. (that 96 is the only bike I've had any experience with) I realize even that is small for someone my size (both pysically and motor-wise), but I'd feel more comfortable on a bit smaller bike than traditional for someone my size.

And assuming I actually get replies :x:

thanks.

2. Imagine

Imagine New Member

They make okay (not great) first bikes. For the price, if you mess it up then your not out a whole lot. Make sure you sign up for an MSF course!

Check out this page about buying used bikes, it will give you an idea of what to look for.
    http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

3. noxxs

noxxs New Member

[​IMG]

you'd be surprised on what you can fit. i personally think that bike will fit you both physically and motor wise. i'm 6'2" 200 and i ride a bike of comparably the same size with no problem at all. and as far as the motor goes, dont think that because its not a liter bike that it wont haul, esp if you havent had a whole lot of seat time. this looks like a good bike for the price, the miles are a little high, but if it runs and there arent any blatent problems with it, i'd say go for it...or buy my bike :x::noes:

4. dj_madness

dj_madness New Member

thats a good deal... and not much mileage for those engines..
    should be good for a while..

5. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

oh I'm not worried about the motor being too small. Not until I've had a couple years of riding under my belt.

Haven't gotten around to looking at it. Have a buddy who I want to take along to test drive it so I have to fit into his schedule, but I also have to try and dig up a way to haul it home (which has been problem #1).

may have to talk to my insurance guy Friday and see what kind of deal he'll give me on insuring it.