WEB Thoughts about new website design

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Azazel28, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

2. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

looks like you used photoshop filters and shit. it's not terrible by any means, but it looks dated. also your url sucks

http://www.webflostudios.com/images/Travis's%20Test%20Layout/portfolio.html

3. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

LoL, you think I use that url for anything besides my personal stuff, no. "OMG, I have a space so it generates %20" Why would a care about a directory that is not going to be search by the general public? All other directories on our network either have no space or "-" associated with them.

As the the rest of the comment, yea, I was trying a new approach from what I am typically used to. Trying to mix real-esque textures with web content design. It is purely for experimental purposes and would never be used in an actual design or a clients website. FYI, the only thing that was created using photoshop filters was the water. Everything else was designed using a combination of vectors, brush and masking (90% of it anyway).

It was a lot of experimenting, i would have to say the my favorite part of the site is the navigation as well as the color scheme.

4. c.a

c.a New Member

its obviously just an initial design but if i were to say one thing i would suggest changing the background color to something lighter, like white or sky blue.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'm not feeling the water background or the black around that.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Hmm. I have mixed feelings about it. Although I understand it's experimental, I'm not too hot about the design at all.

7. it would look 10x better without that super strong vignette around the edges (the black shadow)

even if it's not going to be searchable, you shouldn't be naming your directories with spaces and 's in the first place

8. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Eh...

I'm a fan of simple and clean, so I don't really like it. I echo the comments about too much photoshop filtering going on.

9. Solstice

Solstice New Member

i like the surfboard heads but the overlapping obscures the text, maybe they could just be used for looks rather than buttons. Rest is too busy for me.

10. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Mostly it's good - but lose the blending between the black and the background and sort the text out on the tabs. But I really like the header - it's nearly there.

11. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'd make the transition between the content to the waterfall more dramatic, the dark-gray with a bit of transparency bugs me. I'd make the content-background (the stars, or star-fish or whatever) a little *more* transparent so they blend more, I think they should be more subtle.

I'd make sure not to overlap on navigation text .. "Contact" for example.

12. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Thanks guys, I will work on that transition. The other thing I have to work on with this design is file size, trying to keep it around/below 80K. It is optimized on our test server right now and it is still pulling in about 125K after the scripts are loaded.

So there is going to need to be some development changes to the overall layout, but again I appreciate all the input...thanks all.

13. you're trying to keep everything below 80kb? i find that impossible since it's so graphics-heavy. actually i'm surprised you got it down to 125.

14. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Yea, everything looks great at 125 except some issues with the background image getting grainy/fuzzy. We are stripping a lot of it down to work pretty well with the css style sheet. Thank god I have a developer who enjoys working with my crazy left brain.

I am also working on another site (it is a completely fake website) but again for pure fun for design experience and development challenges. Here is my next layout (again it is not done yet), but I enjoy making a new design ever day or two.

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:cool:

I'm digging that.

16. definitely a lot better than the surf layout :cool:

17. Kevin

Kevin New Member

18. Solstice

Solstice New Member

second site doesn't display right in firefox

edit: just viewed source and its just an image, maybe its me

19. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Or maybe firefox resizes images to fit your screen :hsugh:

20. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Odd I use firefox and it does not have an a resize issue, but again it is just an image. I used a black background because that is what the site calls for, if I just linked a picture the white background would completely change the experience you would have with that website. The white causes your pupils to constrict taking in less light and therefore changing the hue of all the colors on the website (most notably on LCD screens).