TAT Thoughts about freedom of bodily expression...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Synner, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Synner

Synner New Member

What about cutters? Do they deserve the same rights, if they have the typical cutter mindset?

What if they're just into scarification, and prefer to do their own work, and manage to make something artistic out of it?

2. Zyzzybalubah

Zyzzybalubah New Member

People can do what they want with their bodies, I don't really care. As long as they don't do that shit for attention, I'm fine with it. Don't cut your arms and wear short sleeve shirts to show your friends how difficult your life is, because nobody really cares that you're an attention whore.

3. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I couldn't care less what people did with their bodies. They have to live with it, not me.

4. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

:werd:

I do draw the line however, when someone comes into my work looking for a job with 00ga holes in their ears and a myriad of other facial piercings and then starts to bitch that I'm discriminating against them if I won't hire them with all the piercings.

Unlike race, body mods are a choice and some work places are not going to be body mod friendly (like my place of work,otherwise I'd have full sleeves by now.... but they pay me way too much :big grin:).

You can't be discriminated against for something you have control over.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Ehhhh..I don't know about that. Does one have control over one's religious beliefs? I would say so. Can you discriminate based on that? How about dietary choices? Like being vegetarian? That's a choice, but you can't force someone to not be that way.

6. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I disagree, you do have a choice in the matter but I still think discrimination based on body mods is no better than racism. you don’t have the right to question why someone has mods, religious or not.

7. Mace Windu

Mace Windu OT's Resident Pile of Awesome

I used to cut, but when I did, I would wear long sleeves. Cutting was my way of dealing with things. But I can't do that anymore.

8. JS1

JS1 sup

You can discriminate against vegetarians. It would seem silly to do so unless the job is that of a meat packer where one's food beliefs could get in the way of the job.

You can't discriminate on the basis of religion because it's against the law. Besides, one could argue that some types of religion are those that people are brought up in and therefore can't easily change it nor should they in order to get a job.

Body mods, like vegetarianism or any other type of personal choice, are just that, choices, and if your choice could get in the way of the job (like working with the public where uniformity is desired), then someone else will be hired.

9. lick wid nit wit

Technically, yes, someone does have control over religious beliefs but religion has been around for zillions of years and most people who have been brought up with religion don't consider it a lifestyle choice. It's considered to be grouped with race. Veganism/vegetarianism is something one chooses to do voluntarily. Same thing with body mods.

Also, nowhere in the laws is it written that one can't be discriminated for wilfully choosing to be modded or wilfuly choosing not to eat meat.

10. lick wid nit wit

No, but face it. If a person shows up for a job interview at a stuffy office and they have all sorts of facial piercings and stretched lobes, they're not likely to get the job. And the employer is well within the law to tell the prospective employee to remove the piercings.

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

if you fired or didn't hire someone EXPLICITLY because they were a vegetarian, I guarantee you'd have a lawsuit on your hands, even if it's not "written into the law".

The fact of the matter is society is just biased towards certain modes of self expression. They're slowly changing (homosexuality, etc) but it's never across the board fair.

12. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

cutting is emotional...has nothing to do with modification

but this is what I believe (as an ex-cutter)

some say I got tattoos to replace me cutting, but that's not it at all

the two are entirely different

13. lick wid nit wit

The person I didn't hire would have a hard time proving I didn't hire them because they were a vegetarian. I can simply say I didn't think they were the right person for the job UNLESS I hired someone much less qualified than they were.

Although somehow I have a feeling that kind of lawsuit might get laughed out of court.

"Booo, Lick Wid didn't hire me because I'm vegan!" And the judge turns around and says "Well, dumbass, if you're vegan, why did you apply for a job at a slaughterhouse?"

14. sparq

sparq New Member

Yup, totally agree.

Course its different if someones like, oh look at my pretty art... and rolls up their sleeve and they got gashes all over their arms :rofl:

15. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

it depends on the area. I guess I have a different view on things because I live in oakland and more importantly work in berkeley (the land of fruits and nuts). there are plenty of people working office jobs with tats and facial piercings. its true that people with visible body mods are far less likely to be hired but I still don't think its right. I also think that if a person could prove that they weren’t hired specifically because of their mods (good luck with that one) they may have a decent discrimination case depending on the judge. legal or not I don't think its ethical to hold that type of prejudice. I may look at a person and make assumptions about them based on appearance but not in a business environment, its unprofessional and unfair.

at teh same time I still realize what real life is like. I'd love to have full sleeves but because of my job I decided to only go down to my elbows. I also don’t wear my septum piercing any more. I have 00 ears but I wear low profile silicone tubes. when I travel and have to meet with customers I even opt for clear plugs when I can.

16. JS1

JS1 sup

There will be no discrimination case because it's not illegal.

17. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

no, at this point I think its a pretty weak case but I believe in the future its bound to come up. there have been cases won on religious discrimination grounds where they have been able to prove that the mods were done for religious reasons. but beyond that I'm not aware of any successful discrimination cases.

18. Synner

Synner New Member

I've got to disagree with that. Cutting used to be an emotional thing for me, when it was hidden. Now, it's just another mod. Designs are worked into it, and I try to keep with a localized theme for each piece and keep the cuts as uniform as possible. To me (now), cuts are just tattoos without the ink.

19. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

you've transitioned your cutting into modifying.

when someone cuts (who's a true cutter) they're not thinking about making art out of those scars, they're not making a theme. you have chosen to turn your scars/cuts into mods

20. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

Id have to disagree... My sister is raising her son to be a vegeterian.. SO thats all he knows and its a way of life for him.