Thoughs on 94+ 4x4 Cummins desiel Dodge 2500 pickups?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dumpster_chicken, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Dumpster_chicken

Dumpster_chicken OT Supporter

I'm thinkinon going a different route in the truck world and going HIGHER instead of lower. I was wondering when you guys thought about these trucks. I know they can put out insane amounts of hp / tq with mild tuning and last forever. What do you guys think? Also, is there any major or minor problems they have after certian miles? I'm just lookin for now but seriously interested.

2. Mr Durden

Mr Durden I don't have a drinking problem, I have a people p

SO hot, I fucking love those trucks. My friend has a 96 12v cummins, it's easilly the most powerful private vehicle I have ever driven, and it only has minor work done to it. My brother just bought a 01 24v cummins and it fucking hauls nice too :eek3:

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I'm looking at a diesel truck too... I'm thinking either a F-250 or F-350 with the 7.3 powerstroke, or a Dodge 2500, any comments on either?

4. Dumpster_chicken

Well, I'm sticking with the older years cause of money restrictions. I'v also been lookin at performance sites and for 1300 a moduel, exhaust, and downpipe give you an extra 125 hp and 200+ ft/lbs tq. What do they come with stock? like 200hp and 300 ft/lbs?

5. moonvan

moonvan OT Supporter

i used to work in a machine shop rebuilding engines and i far prefer teh cummins over the ford. The older chevy diesels are shit didnt get a chance to work on any olf the new ones. The cummins is one of the best designed diesels out there

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah i heard the old 6.5L GM diesels were pretty bad. Definitely gonna stay away from those.

7. Dumpster_chicken

So does anyone have any pros or cons to these trucks? I'm researching online so dont think I'm lazy. I'm figuring someone on here has to own or used to own one. Replys people please.

8. Dumpster_chicken

9. moonvan

moonvan OT Supporter

my dad has a 1500 ram but its not a diesel and there hasnt been anything wrong with it yet

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have a 2003 Sierra 1500 now that has been awesome.. 5.3L gas engine

11. tuner

tuner I know you're thinking bacon and eggs.

Stay away from early years they have the shittiest transmission. Get something with atleast a 47RE (96-up)

12. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

:bowdown: I want one but can't afford it :hs:

Dodge > *

13. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

my dad bought a 94 Ram 2500 diesel new, and it has been doing hardcore farm duty, offroading daily, towing huge cattle trailers with animals weighing literally a ton, and in a desolate area where service intervals can get pretty long

250K on it and still going strong

14. Big_Luke

Big_Luke serious as dick cancer

stout ass engine but shitty tranny.

15. Dumpster_chicken

:bigthumb: This is the kinda info I'm lookin for. The 96+ was the year I was looking at, just wasnt to sure when one model year ended and another began. Any other issues? I know these trucks are tanks but nothings perfect.

16. Dumpster_chicken

In all years or just on the 95s and lower like perviously mentioned?

17. Big_Luke

Big_Luke serious as dick cancer

I've heard a lot of people with Dodges complain about tranny problems. Mostly with the slush boxes.

18. trecool

trecool New Member

I've used them to pull boats. Driving one is about as close as I'll ever come to driving a fuckin semi. Hell of a tow vehicle but it's a rough bitch.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking to pick up such a hardcore vehicle? Will this be your daily driver?

19. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Had a '95 Dodge 3500 with the cummins, first we had to have the computer replaced 4 times before it finally worked right. Then at about 50k miles the engine dropped a valve into the cylinder because Cummins had machined the stem too small. After all that was fixed it was great though :bigthumb:

20. tuner

The mechanical injected 5.9s are fucking tanks, as long as its maintained it'll run 300k+ miles before it would need a rebuild. Exhaust manifold bolts are notorious for coming loose (usually the rears, Cummins knows of this and has a bolt lock kit), check for any cracks in the manifold (easy fix is to get a 3 piece manifold), have the valves checked and adjusted. If they stuck an exhaust brake on it, make sure they used 60lb valve springs or you could have several bad valves from too much back pressure.

There's a ton of stuff to up the HP on those... even one of these :bigthumb:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=25849661#post25849661

21. Dumpster_chicken

Just a change of pace.....right now I have a fully bagged 4 banger S-10 I'm constaly dumping money into i.e. bodydrop, paint, wheels ect...... I figured if I'm gonna go big, do it right the first time. Not sire where it stands as a daily driver or not, prolly 3 or 4 times a week it'll be driven to pull my S-10 or my RX-7. I drove one a cupple days ago with full 4 1/2" d/p back exhaust, 3 1/2" d/p, intercooled and chipped, I fell in love from 1st gear.

22. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

All I can speak for are the newer Cummins HO 600. I definately see lots of potential in this motor. The older body styles I have no clue about, but I do see a lot of twin turbo setups being done to them.

23. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Stay away from the newer powestrokes. they are crap, I've stopped and helped many powerstroke drivers on the side of the road.

I bought a duramax only because they gave me a better deal than dodge :big grin:

24. Dumpster_chicken

Anyone have any sites that specialize in performance desiel? I know of Bank and Bullydog.

25. tuner

Out of all the three diesels Dodge has the weakest tranny, the new 48RE (2003-up) is a huge improvement over the 47RE (which is used in 96-2002). Stay away from anything older than 96... it get worse :)