Those with Western Digital Warranty experience...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by karma, Jan 4, 2005.

1. karma

karma you reap what you sow

My hard drive was clicking like crazy the other night and was very very slow accessing information. It has been making strange sounds for a couple of weeks now (vibrating noise).

Anyway, the other night I had enough and did a secured RMA with Western Digital, where they hold my credit card number and when I receive the new drive, I ship back the old one. If I don't ship back within 30 days then they charge my card.

So while the new drive was in route, the old drive started working just fine. No more noise, no more clicking. I DID NOT touch the drive in any way, I didn't even open the case. It just decided to start working.

Now the new drive is here. What do I do?

Does WD check every drive that comes in? If it works for them, are they going to charge my card - because in that case, I will just keep the old one too.
    Or will they just assume that it is defective and give the customer the benefit of the doubt?

Oh, and this hard drive is 3 years old and the warranty expires next month. :noes:

:dunno:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

call them and talk to them

i'd swap it out, and send them the old drive back, just to be on the safe side, who knows when tehy get it, it might stop working again :mamoru:

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

with advance rma, if you send back the drive who's serials match the rma, then they will warranty it -- even if they find it to be not defective.

So, as long as you send back the drive who's serial # you requested the RMA for, and the drive is unmodified, and has no physical damage, then you'll be okay.

4. karma

karma you reap what you sow

Thanks jolly, you always give me good advice. :bigthumb:

The serial will match, so hopefully they take care of me.

I just don't trust the old hard drive, regardless of how it's behaving now.

Oh yeah - I just bought you an AV, you should be able to change it soon. 150 x 150 pixels (under 10,200 Kb) :eek3d: