Those with hard water...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by n2_space, Jul 15, 2003.

1. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

What tricks do you use? Our water is awful, if it were any worse, it wouldn't even come out of the faucet. When we first built the house, my beater was in the driveway getting some water from the sprinkler for about an hour. Afterward, it looked like a HEAVY frost. I had to scrape, then wash it several times to get it off :ugh:

I water blade each section I wash, and any overspray from the hose onto other sections I have already washed. Then on the last section, wet and waterblade the entire car again, then I use a two towel method (one to get the majority of it, and the other to final dry) and race like crazy to dry.

I am just curious if anyone else has any better ideas or things they do :hs:

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I have hard water and do the "run over" trick. Basically, let low pressure water run over your car before drying it. It's much easier to dry off and there's less of a chance of the water drying on the car and leaving spots.

Incidentally, I wash my car indoors, so I don't have much of a problem with the sun drying the car before the towel does. I understand not all people have access to indoors areas to wash cars, though.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

After you rinse your car, pour a couple gallons of distilled water over it, making sure you displace all the hard water from the hose then dry normally.

Your only other real options are purchasing some sort of water softening system to wash your car, or go to a self serve car wash with the spot free (reverse osmosis) rinse option.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Done the run over trick. I have heard of the distilled water one, but haven't tried it yet. I may have to give it a try next time :)

5. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

yeah you can buy distilled water at the grocery store for like 99 cents a gallon.

6. ItzLoud

ItzLoud Guest

vinegar works.......................... i had to do that once :ugh2:

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

My water will spot it bad if it is not taken off IMMEDIATELY, I mean I can wash another section, and if the previous section wasn't dried off completely, it will spot. I would have to pour distilled water over it constantly as I wash it :( I may have to try it though, but using several gallons a week is a little pricey :sad2:

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Ever think about getting a water softener? I'm sure that hard water is wreaking havoc on your plumbing and skin, not just your car.

9. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

But that wouldn't go to the outside water I don't believe... I have, I just haven't yet. We had the house built two years ago, and I am a little worried about the plumbing (and us), but I don't plan on staying there any more than about 5 more years... I need to look into it though for sure.

10. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

I think they make smaller softwater units that are made for hooking up to just a kitchen sink or a fridge, you might be able to hook that up to an outside faucet.