Those who know about building loudspeakers, in here.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rocker_II, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

I've been wanting to get a decent set of bookshelf speakers but I don't have the cash to get a decent setup. These will be for music listening and watching the odd video as they will be connected to my computer. They will probably be powered by a cheap receiver.

First off, a few requirements of mine. I want super clean highs and accurate bass down to about 50hz. I won't be using a sub but the back of the speakers will be about 6-8 inches away from a wall so a little bass reinforcement will be there. I will make the enclosures using mdf and I would like to keep the height under 14 inches and the width less than 7 or 8 inches. Price wise, I'd like to keep the cost of the speakers under $250 CDN, so about $160 AM. That includes the drivers/tweeters and the crossover/L-pads if needed.

I know that for that price I will be sacrificing a quite a bit but I think that I can have a better sounding system than what could be bought for the price. So can anyone give some ideas for good drivers? Where to get them and any advice on making them? Thanks alot.

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

you can get nice home theatre drivers on ebay. Klipsch stuff goes pretty cheap and sounds really nice :)

3. 04

04 Guest

I highly reccomend building a proven kit design. Trying to design a speaker system yourself will almost certainly ensure poor results unless you have extensive knowledge beforehand.

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm The parts for the D3 cost around 150 dollars US, although I don't know how much extra Partsexpress charges to ship to Canada.

4. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

Thanks 04. Have you heard these yourself?

5. 04

04 Guest

I have a pair that is the same thing, but with a single tweeter and single woofer, it's the BR1, check it out on the partsexpress website.

The main thing you would be sacrificing with the D3's (or the Br1's if you want those too) is the midrange quality. Don't get me wrong, it sounds quite good, but not as good as speakers that cost more. However, for their price, its really hard to rag on them, because I have yet to hear anything mass market in their price range to sound as good.

6. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

Are these speakers able to be placed near a monitor with the coils unshielded? Is there an easy fix for this?

7. 04

04 Guest

Do you mean the magnets? The inductors don't provide a large enough magnetic field to disrupt your crt.

But no, they aren't magnetically shielded. However, unless you need the speakers right up against the monitor, I don't see that being a problem.

How far do you want to place the speakers from the monitor?

8. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

They are definately going to be 1" away from the monitor. It kind of sucks but that is all the room I have. :hs:

9. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

If you're not hell-bent on building them yourself, check out Paradigm's Titan. It's an awesome bookshelf speaker that sells for not much more than what you're planning to spend on parts. Making a truly coherent, articulate speaker takes some doing...not that I would ever discourage a DIYer. :)