Those who have built computers, shared memory question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChowYunSkinny, Dec 29, 2003.

1. ChowYunSkinny

ChowYunSkinny You no help me now...I say **** you Jobu. I do it

Background here, question below:
    I have built a few systems myself before but they all had video cards. Last week I was setting up a system that had onboard shared memory and could not install Windows without errors (98 SE or XP). The system had two DDR DIMMS, each 256 MB, that were identical and I was sharing 32MB for the video, and they were both in their respective slots. I kept getting SUWIN and General Page Fault errors in 98 SE setup and kept getting driver copying issues with XP. In my troubleshooting the problem, it came down to either the RAM or the power supply, but I was thinking the RAM more than the power supply. Anyway, after I took one DIMM out and tried setup again, both versions of Windows installed now without any issues. No issues after installation and normal operations either.

Here is my question:
    Did this work because the one DIMM I took out was bad OR in a shared memory situation can you utilize only one DIMM when you want to share memory for the video?

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I have had the same problem and it turned out to be the memory was bad. And not always the one I removed, something to do with clocking being different between the chips. (same brand and model - one was faulty)

From experience I can tell you that you can run multiple DIMM's with a system that uses shared memory.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah definintely sounds like bad RAM. The fact that its shared isn't a variable here sine Windows setup never sees "missing" memory.

4. ChowYunSkinny

ChowYunSkinny You no help me now...I say **** you Jobu. I do it

Thanks for the replies. I thought it couldn't be the one DIMM situation because then lots of people would've had problems before. The chips were identical so I guess the one I took out has to be bad. I appreciate the responses.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Yup bad ram, or the wrong type of ram.