Those of you who have had deadlift injuries get in here

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mac Daddy, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Well about 3 weeks ago I was messing around at home with medium heavy weights. I was doing deadlifts and i wasn't using proper form. :o This wasn't a deadlifting day or anything I was just screwing around in the garage. Well low and behold I pull my lower back to the left side. Before this I was a champ at back excersises. I could deadlift forever. So after I did this idiotic mistake I decided to have 1 week break from lifting all together and see how my back was. When i started again last week my back was a feeling alot better. I only daedlifted once that week and got to a pretty heavy set of 295x3 on my last one. When I did though my back was pretty soar afterwards. It was soar enough that I couldn't do barbell rows at all. Also when I squat I could feel it in my back and at the heavier weights it was really bothering me. So now this week today I tried deadlifting and I only got to set 2 of a 5x5. It was like 1 45 and 1 40 on each side and Im on my 3rd rep and I feel it again. I didn't pull my back I just felt it and stopped before I pulled it again. If im feeling good I'll still do powercleans on Wed. since they don't stress my back that bad. But right now I would like to know your opinion on what I should do. I know that from now on if i deadlift i will use one of those belts. But how long do you guys think I should wait until I try to deadlift again? Any other advice would be helpful as well.

2. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

4-6 weeks

sore

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Ok that sucks. I'll stop for 4 weeks then:wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: I know I didn't seriously hurt my back cus if i did i wouldnt be able to walk or do anything. I just don't want to take a risk of ruining my back. I already have a bad knee.

4. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

when i had a back injury in the lower left region it took two weeks before i could do any exercises with it, but i still had that slight pain afterwards. it was another 3-4 weeks before the pain was completely gone though

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Oh ok. I don't think mines so bad. Hopefully 4 weeks will be plenty.

6. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Awhile ago when I first started deadlifting, I was getting pretty sore in my lower back, even preventing me from doing things like running for >.5 miles because of pain. I probably should have rested it more, but I basically stayed with the same weights and started doing more lower back excersizes, ie. hypers, lever back thing.

Now, maybe a month or two later, I still get some soreness after heavy lifts (the belt is helping a lot here) and when I am bending to take the weights off the bar. However, my back soreness goes away much much more quickly, within a few minutes. Since I am having a problem with grip it seems on my heaviest deads, I am continuing to try and strengthen my lower back and work on grip.

ANy recommendations here?

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Why would you go heavy the first time back from an injury? :slap:

8. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

My dad slipped a disc in his back while bent over lifting something under the deck. Resulted in two surgeries to get the pinched nerves taken care of. He could still walk during the entire ordeal.

Just because you can walk and still function doesn't mean things might not be worse than what you'd like to assume they are.

9. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

it will come sooner or later

10. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Just herniated a disk in my back like a week ago dead lifting. Fortunately, it isn't that bad. I think i'm going to give it a few more days and then start just doing light excercises and forgetting squats and deadlifts for a little while.

11. Durk

Durk New Member

Right, but AIDS will get you

12. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

:rofl:

13. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

man this is why when I deadlift I will just drop the weight if I feel my lower back bending at all. I'd hate to not be able to do my favorite squats because of a DL injury.

14. nubian

nubian Active Member

this is my experience with lower back pain.
    i'm not saying what worked for me will work for you.
    again this is from my experience.

i have been doing deadlifts religiously for quite a few years now.
    i love them to death.
    with every workout i've done i'd consume massive amounts of protein (approx 3 double scoops....pre > pro > before bed) tuna, chicken breast, shrimp, etc)).
    earlier this year i was running low on cash and running low on protein.
    i was still working out even though funds and the protein finally ran dry (college student).
    so for approx 3 months i'd been with w/o my nutrition.

this is where i was running into problems.
    like mac daddy said i could do dl's forever but not anymore.
    i would dl and then all of a sudden have this excruciating pain in my lower back region.
    dl being my 1st back exercise had prevented my from doing my other back execerises.
    i couldn't even do bi's the next day, nor shoulders or legs.
    the pain was just unbareable.
    i was getting low back problems, severe soreness around the lumbordarsai fascia (sp).

like w/ pmoney i was unable to walk even the shortest of distances.
    at times when i did walk it felt like weight was being added onto my lower back resulting in even more pain with ever step i took.
    forget about just standing up. i had to lean against things if i didn't want to feel the pain.

being stubborn i still continued on doing dl's and tried my best doing the rest of my routine.
    i tried not doing dl's for a couple of weeks.
    this helped just a smidge.

getting close to the end of my routine student loans kicked in and i went on a nutrition shopping spree.
    then i got introduced to psmf.
    doing this psmf i basically doubled my protein intake.
    1.25 grams of prot for every lb of lbm because i was considered a cat 2 according to lyles handbook.

i would say on the 3rd week of my psmf i was doing dl's like as if none of this lower back pain ever existed; i even went up a bit on my reps.

i'm not saying to do a psmf but maybe your lacking protein intake. :dunno:
    again this is based on my experience.

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

16. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Nah I don't think so. I get plenty of protien trust me. I also don't think I seriously injured myself. I don't have any pain walking or bending over at all. When I first injured it I heard a crack in my lower back. It hurt really bad but after waiting a week I couldn't feel it anymore when walking. :dunno:

17. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

ok boy who cried wolf!!

18. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

You laugh but that PSMF added 100lbs to his deadlift 5RM!

19. nubian

nubian Active Member

you still can't sleep?

20. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

No but tomorrow I'm gonna start my PSMF and I'll be deadlifting 800lbs in no time on 1200 calories a day.

21. nubian

nubian Active Member

i can sense your hate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.