Those of you that lift and do MMA (2000GT, etc.)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TotalEclipse02, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TotalEclipse02

TotalEclipse02 OT Supporter

I was thinking of starting up some MMA training, but I also lift 4 days a week with a high intensity, I was wondering if joint pain was a problem, and if you had to cut back on lifting?

Also how many days a week do you do MMA and how many days do you lift?

I was thinking I'd cut back to a basic 3 day split again if I started training :dunno:

Any other advice?

2. TotalEclipse02

no shit

did i ever say I was going to stop lifting? wtf reading comprehension :hsd:

glucosamine? will look into it

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ya, during wrestling season and the off season when i used to train BJJ i would move my workouts to 3 days, i would do chest/tri, back/bi, legs/shoulders. There is no way i could have trained 4 days a week and still able to grapple or wrestle, i would always be so sore still and it would affect me big time. You should be cool on 3 days, just make sure you schedule it correctly.

4. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

don't listen to pokesteve, rule #1 of F&N

5. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Just noticed this thread, even though its old, its still a worthy thread.

During rugby season and during mma training I do the same thing. I train 3 days, and I lift 3 days... I am lucky my rugby/mma training is tues, thurs, sat, so I lift mon, wed, fri.

On my mma/rugby days I drink a lot of water!! More so than usual cause I get dehyrdated so easily. Before I go to MMA I always warm up and strech at the gym. Our warmup is good, but I dont think we stretch enough in class. Other than that I expect to lose some strength, and lean out a bit, but overall my power stays close to when I am not training in sports.

6. joy division

joy division New Member

PM me , I have a CD full of sport specific excercises and routines ...

2 year lifting routine to go along with technique work etc.

Basically I go 3-4 times a week to training, its 3 hours long (warm up etc, sparring/technique then conditioning). I lift every day off except for one, I also have a set nutrition guide for each day and I eat whatever on my day off.

IMPORTANT:

no fighter is worth a shit if they don't have technique, I know guys who can crush the 1000# big 3 lift but feel like putty while grappling...its not functional strength. For example a PLer is super strong in doing certain excercises, its all they do, but they punch extraordinarily weak for their size.

fighting is all about FUNCTIONAL strength

7. joy division

joy division New Member

it also depends on what you are concentrating on right now; rolling? stand up? grecco? like I said PM me.

8. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I have never heard more true words! I went into fighting expecting to get humbled, and I was. I am 215 pounds, quite lean and agile from rugby, but I was wrapped into numerous submissions upon sparring by guys less than 165 pounds.

I would like to get a copy of that video, and I am curious about your nutrition etc.

9. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:ugh:

Powerlifters don’t have functional strength? :slap:

Functional strength != fighting technique

10. DerekForeal

DerekForeal Diamond Member

I still did my regular 5 days on 2 day off lifting routine while doing mma for 2 hours 3x a week. but i also had plenty of rest time so i didnt find it too bad. joint pain has never been a problem for me either.

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I do MMA 2 hours twice a week and lift 3 days in between. I also do either extended stretching or yoga every day which helps the joints.

12. TotalEclipse02

wow a lot of you guys are doing this type of thing, pretty sweet ..

joy division, PM sent :bigthumb:

13. joy division

joy division New Member

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I said their strength is very good in deadlift/squat/bench or whatever lift they concentrate on...it isn't functional strength in the ring- I can't come close to what alot of guys do in terms of weights, but they are not able to turn that strength right into grappling or punching power.

14. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Have you ever been punched by a powerlifter?

15. TotalEclipse02

I think he means that a powerlifter doesnt utilize all the strength he has because of technique and functional training involved for something like a punch.

While someone a lot less stronger in terms of moving raw weight can punch just as hard or harder because he is trained and can utilize more of his/her strength.

He isn't dogging powerlifters or whatever at all, just using it as an example.
    A powerlifter can be so strong that the punches are already strong as hell, but if they actually trained for it it might be even much more so..

16. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Someone who is fundamentally strong in the big 3 will punch harder than someone who is not, given equal training and technique.

17. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Tank abbott also trains mma and lifts heavy. His punch has 600lbs of force behind it, but that doesn't mean that mendelson will have 1000lbs of force behind his punch. Just like a person that has 500lbs of force behind their punch can't necessarily bench 500lbs. It is all about the persons ability to utilize the strength they have and that comes from training.

18. Grouch

Grouch Guest

When it comes to stand up fighting mass, strenght and technique are equally important.

19. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Its interesting seeing peoples thoughts on this. I really did just go through it. I am not a major powerhouse, but my numbers add close to 1400 on the big 3, not to mention my clean is close to 300. Decent numbers, I play rugby which is aggressive and I know how to hit. But coming into it willing to learn and listen made a big differance.
    I started out over powering guys who would maneuver me into chokes using my momentum. I was stiff and rigid and the guys new they couldnt turn me, but they could use my tenseness against me. I started winning sparring when I forgot about strength and used flexibilty and flow.
    I am talking mainly about groundwork, but when we ground and pounded for the first time I got pounded like a bitch by someone half my size. All about strategy and positioning.
    Now that I know what I am doing a little more, still a pussy if you ask me, I realize my clean is the most important movement, as full body speed and power especially in the hips helps more than anything.

20. joy division

joy division New Member

which is exactly what I've been saying the whole time. I'm not sure what grouch is talking about.

21. joy division

joy division New Member

I've been punched by a 230 pound iranian who deads 600 and benches 400, and he is not a powerlifter...only fights.

22. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

IBalalalalalalalalalalala

23. joy division

joy division New Member

key words- "right into" , meaning immediately. Sorry for confusion.

24. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

it's typical

25. Grouch

Grouch Guest

That's because you worded it horribly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.