GUN Those of you that collect your brass

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Apr 11, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

What system do you use?

Currently I am only reloading 45, but I will probably expand at least to 5.56/223 and 9mm.

For AR's I know you can get a brass catcher, but what about pistols? Does anyone have a system they recommend or built? I generally shoot at an outdoor range with no RSO and no stall dividers so casing can get throw a good ways and even into the dirt. Is there anything you can setup on the bench to catch brass is a mesh and drop in into a box?

At least if I had something like that all the bending over and digging around and begging the guy who cleans up for brass would be extra ammo.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If I shoot a lot, I use a tarp. If I'm only shooting a couple mags then I'll just pick it up.

3. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I collect my brass, but it sort of just takes up space at the moment

Edit: by hand, off the ground :dunno:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

If I was the only one there I wouldn't mind picking it all up, but on an average day there are 3-5 people on the pistol range and some of my pistols throw ammo under the bench or out into the dirt, even if I were to use a tarp, from how far my 1911, throws them it would have to be a decent sized tarp.

I can find catchers for an AR or 1911, but I was wondering if something like a few wooden dowels and some window screen mesh could be used to catch brass and empty it into say an ammo can. Kind of a homebuilt version of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9K6GKHs6xI

Dunno how well something like that actually works in real life though.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Same here... I have ~5 thousand .40 casings and ~2 thousand 9mm casings... just waiting on getting a press. :rofl:

6. mvizos

mvizos New Member

hobo army. Shoot, and then as you're packing up send your hobo army to collect your brass.

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at the song choice they made around the 2 minute mark.... :rofl:

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

have good friends!

I recently received two big buckets of misc brass from my shooting buddies. But before that, I just collected brass as I had time. No real system. I would suggest getting a brass bag so you don't collect the debri as well.

Yar pointed out a cool brass sifter that actually sorted your brass for you. You just get a little at a time, it all adds up. I don't know about the brass catchers that mount on your gun, because I'd rather the gun is in teh same state I train in. It may change different dynamics of it, at not a very big reward for it.

9. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

i just pick it up .. the glock doesnt toss them too far and they generally end up within a few feet of me ... i usually pick it up every few mags to give me a break and to help with the monotony of just plinking all day.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

You may want to fool around with the tension of your 1911's extractor if it's chucking it out that far. Ideally you'd like to tune it so it's tossing brass about 3-4 o'clock from 3-6 feet out. Any more, any less could lead to some issues down the line.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i usually pick up the brass each time i go through a set of magazines

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I pick up every two magazines.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Of course tarps and brass magnets (fancy tarp like thing) works best but you only get your brass. To get ahead you need to get other peoples brass. There are lots of tools. Coolest I've seen is something made with some sort of popper scooper and a egg beater. Graps all the brass and hardly any pebbles or garbage. Those claw grabber things with a small fish net on a stick work ok too.

Nothing wrong with picking it up by hand. Any time you can finger the brass you can weed out anything that might have a crack, or sign of over pressure. Saves you from wasting primers, bullets, powerder etc.

14. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

My range bag has a mesh pull out compartment on the side for brass/hulls. After I finish shooting, I just sweep up the brass and dump it in.

15. Initial E

Initial E New Member

when i'm at the indoor range, i just sweep it up then dump it into a bag.

Outdoors, unfortunately i just spend time bent over just picking all those casings up by hand. :( If I'm lucky some asshat didnt leave the rake inside and I can manage to get it all into a decent pile.

16. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Dump the brass filled pails into my range bag? :mamoru:

The range I frequent doesn't care whose brass you take or how much. Anything is fair game if left on the ground. Usually during ceasefires, I'll walk out in front of the benches and pick some up, too.

17. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Now there's efficiency for you, gentlemen!

Quite the opposite case almost everywhere I go. Most ranges in the DFW area are pretty strict about "all brass is range property" with the exception that you can collect your own. 'Course, I still tend to end up with a net "profit" every time I scrounge...

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

What range do you go to?

19. texchef

texchef Guest

I take gallon zip locks with me and when they fill up I dump into a side pocket on my range bag. My wife is calling me a brass whore.

I bought a shell sorter and it is BAD ASS. Toss in about half a ziplock worth at a time and shake and stir. It all falls through. Only bad thing is that .357, .40 and .44 are all the same level in the sifter. If I want just the .40 i have to hand pick through that bunch. You also have to hand seperate the .380 and 9mm.

The shell sorter for $40 and an Uplula mag reloader for $25 were the two BEST investments I have made thus far.

20. texchef

texchef Guest

I'd like to know too. Both ranges i go to have no problems with me gathering brass. Garland Public has buckets that catch for you and most people don't take them so i pick up 2-4 buckets that are half full almost every time i go.

DFW crew needs to have a shooting day.

21. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:cool: I haven't been there yet.

I've gone to Quail creek a bunch of times. I like it there.

In

22. texchef

texchef Guest

where is quail creek? never been there.

seriously, we need to get a bunch of Dallas peeps together and find a place to meet up for lunch then hit a range. Pics and hilarity would ensue. Weather is in our favor this time of year.

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

http://www.quailcreekrange.com/

24. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Garland Public Shooting Range has signage all over the place indicating that brass on the ground not from your weapon is theirs.

Elm Fork was also like that before I stopped going there.

Not sure what the attitude at Bass Pro Shops is since I've never put any effort into gathering brass there. Always feel a bit pressed for time there anyway since it's supposed to be $8/hr and there's often a line outside the range...

25. texchef

texchef Guest

Cool thing about Garland is that most brass hits the catchers and then the pail. Haven't been to Elm Fork yet. Bullet Trap in Plano doesn't give me flack either.

Fuck Bass Pro Shops.