GUN This world we call home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sniper FX, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Sniper FX

Sniper FX Pumpin' and Humpin

I am curious where Gun Crew stands on the events taking place in the middle east, and what effect
    it has if any, with american and worldwide gun/ammunition sales, stockpiling etc. etc.

Personally I would think Firearm/Ammunition sales have steadily increased as the world has
    taken notice to the Middle east and the escalating problems.

Well anyway I know most people think the Middle East
    and their problems dont affect the rest of the world or the U.S. But no question it does.

Chime in would love to hear peoples perspectives.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  2. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

not sure that this belongs in this forum, however I'm planning on going out tomorrow and getting some more supplies, ammo and cash out of the bank.

I'd rather spend the money and hopefully not ever use it, and I honestly think that the issues over there will be resolved, but I think it'd be foolish to not admit to oneself we could litterally be weeks away from WW3

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

not really the forum for it but I'll let it slide since if it goes to the main forum it'll get filled up with replies from nongun crew.
    My stand on events, I support the IDF 100% percent, they're doing what has to be done and dont give a fuck about world opinion on it sometimes wish our gov would operated that way. Hasn't effected me as far as buying anymore guns or ammo, got enough ammo, picking up a couple new guns soon but was buying them already anyway, I know some of the tinfoil crowd on arfcom is stocking up for armegeddon though :mamoru:

4. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

if anything it makes you take notice and wonder what COULD happen. I dont think its making people go out and stock up on weapons or ammo, but it is opening peoples eyes. Instead of people wondering whta the fuck you need an assault rifle for, it makes them take into consideration "What if" and i think that is what gun ownership is all about

5. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I REALLY need to buy an AK and some ammo :(

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll trade ya an SAR1 for the SAIGA12 :x:

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I guess I fail to see the need for stockpiling of ammo. Is canada going to invade? Are you going to get into several drawn out firefights if there is some sort of crisis? Realistically I think a rifle and a handgun and say 5 mags full for each is all you're likely to ever need. Ymmv.

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Soy, I think the argunment is for cost effectiveness, rather than preparatory reasons.

For myself, more is always better, so I'm headed upstairs to place an order from CTD. :o

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I think I need an AR15 and an AK47... That way I can pick ammo off all the dead soldiers when the SHTF.

I'm also digging a bomb shelter and stock piling it with enough food and water to live for a year. I'm using a variety of different contractors so they can't figure out what I'm building.

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Our govt isnt operating that way right now? :hsugh:

Actually world events are driving prices up on ALL ammunition, not just rounds like 5.56 so I could understand stockpiling even hunting rounds right now as a way to get them on the cheap :dunno: I don't know about powder but the prices on bullets and cases have risen due to the demand for copper and brass.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You can participate in The Battle of New Orleans 2 :cool:

12. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I've been prepping ever since I saw what happened in NOLA. That's what rekindled my interest in guns, too. I think that we always have to have something to be worried about. Not too long ago everyone was running in circles about bird flu. Before that we had NOLA. Right about that time everyone thought that the economy was going to collapse because the price of oil was going skyhigh. Then there was Iraq and their WMDs :rolleyes:. 9/11 affected us for a long time. How many years did Russia and Cuba have missiles pointed at us? Yes things seem to have escalated in the world but there's always something that has us all worried. Eventually we're going to roll the dice and they're gonna come up snake eyes. This might be what sets it off or it might not.

Personally I prepare for the most likely scenario first but I keep the worst case scenario in mind. Someday we might not be able to buy ammo over the counter. The US might not always be the strongest world power. Maybe California will fall into the ocean at the same time that the New Madrid fault goes. Or maybe I'll just lose my job and I'll have trouble paying my bills for a while. In that case at least A) I'll be able to eat because I have a lot of food tucked away and B) I'll still be able to shoot because I have a lot of ammo tucked away. It'll take a very catasrophic event to wipe out civilization overnight. Global politics could cause drastic changes very quickly too, though. Prepare for the worst now while you have the means. Just don't get so worried about doom and gloom that you let it become more important than things that happen in your day to day life.

13. Sniper FX

Couldnt disagree with you more.
    It isnt Canada or any other country invading that we should be afraid of in time of chaos.
    In my opinion not if, but when the shit hits the fan worldwide.
    It is going to be your fellow American aka your neighbor that you are going to have to be concerned with.

And good luck turning away a gang of family members or gangs of communities
    looking for food, water, etc with 1 rifle 1 handgun and 5 mags. hehe

Not to get all religious weird on ya but with all the crap going down lately just makes you think
    about the worst case scenario when the Revelation begins.

14. Sniper FX

I like your prospective.
    Thanks for those chiming in on a post that some thought didnt belong. :big grin:

15. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Im not a tinfoil hat crew member or anything like the IMO.
    That being said I find it fascinating that people actually think the conflict between Israel and Palestine Is going to be a 1 or 2 week war.

This has been brewing for the last 30 years, Isreal has finally had enough Hasbula (terrorist group) has already said this is going to continue until someone is gone. Isreal has already said we are in it for the long haul
    Palestine has openly called Israel a Coward (G8 conferance) I don't see anyway of bringing either side back to the table.

This is one time I think the US should sit back and wait it out. I don't care that Palestine is asking us to step in. If we do we are going to catch flak for it possibly end up at war with the middle east again. If we don't we are going to catch flak for it and possibly watch a country (palestine) get anniahlated.

As for how its affecting me? Oil is at an all time high, the stock market has dropped tons of points in a few days. Gas is already 2.89 a gallon with projections calling for 4 dollars a gallon. We are smack dab in the middle of hurricane season with no storms yet. We all remember last year when a hurricane demoished our gulf coast refineries and drilling platforms causeing gas to reach 3 dollars and some change.

This is a global catastrophe waiting to happen. I can easily see this escalating into a global war. Putin is wanting to strat tradeing with the US but the Bush administration thinks hes causing democracy in his country to backslide toward communism again. Im not even going to go to the clusterfuck that is Iraq, and north Korea.

I have 1000 rounds of 7.62 x 39, 500 rounds of 12 gauge, 2000 rounds of . 22 for food gathering, couple hundred rounds of .308, 22-250, .45, 9mm
    and am worried because if anything happens I really don't think thats enough ammo to get myself and my loved ones to safe ground.

As for Cuba? That was a differant age. We were dealing with governments flexing their muscles. These are fundamentalists with a religous agenda and history has proven what a nut with a religous cause is capable of.

Sorry for the rant I just have alot of thoughts on our current situation and can see nothing good comeing from our involvment.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What scenerio do you see happening where you need to shoot that often? I mean it has to be nuclear war or apocalypse doesn't it then? If it were to happen how many firefights would you get in to before you get killed yourself? How many bodies would be in your front yard with people climbing over them to get to your door?

I'm an atheist so I won't do much with the religious thing other than point out that people have always thought they were living in the 'end times'.

17. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Ever read Lights Out? There's a part in the story where a family gets in a firefight with a few racist rednecks. They're out in the middle of nowhere and it takes a long time for anyone to get to them. The father of the family kept them at bay long enough for help to arrive because he had several thousand rounds of ammo in the house. You can buy ammo now. It doesn't hurt anything. Canned food costs less than .50 a can and you can consider each one a meal. If the shit ever does hit the fan and bad stuff starts happening then you might not be able to go to the store to get what you need when you need it anymore. If you keep telling yourself "things can't be as bad as they're making it out to be" then eventually you're going to end up saying "why in the hell didn't I get what I needed when I had the chance". It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I think that society is a lot more fragile than people think. Money is the glue that holds it together. I think that all it will take is an economic collapse to make things every bit as bad as it is in Africa or other parts of the world right now. There are a LOT of things that could cause money to lose it's value.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yes and Neo in the matrix went through alot of rounds too, but lets leave fiction out of things. I'm wanting to know what scenarios people actually think are really possible where they'll need 12k rounds of 7.62 nato and if they think they will actually use them before they get killed. Theres going to be a comedic pile of bodies around your house eventually or you're going to have to leave your house and only be able to take so many rounds with you because of more pressing matters like food and water.

I'm really just having fun playing devil's advocate here. I do think alot of people on gun forums get carried away and charge themselves into debt to "stock up" for y2k, the bird flu, and the end of the world. If you want to stock up because your practice rounds are cheap, you're going to use it, and you don't have to go into debt to do theres nothing wrong with that. I tend to buy in bulk for those reasons myself.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I think just because they dont feel like going out before every range trip to buy ammo is why people do. Of course, once I get my AK built, im going to do a no cleaning test (1000-2000 rounds a week untill it fails to cycle), so Ill probably be buying 7.62x39 in 10k round batches :p

20. mvizos

mvizos New Member

y2k? couldn't be worried, was busy playing GT2 (damn endurance races)
    Bird flu? it's a hoax
    End of the world? No point in shooting...it's the END OF THE WORLD.

Why do I stockpile? One word, people. And this is the real thing we need to worry about:

ZOMBIES!

[​IMG]

21. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

If SHTF really does happen how do you think you are going to get food and water? Are people going to give you some of their stockpile, are people going to share what they find at stores, no, you are going to have to take it. If you do have any food/water you are going to need to fend off the people trying to take your supply.

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I can get by for a few weeks just fine. Whats going to happen past that long?

Whats going to happen thats going to make people risk their lives for food and water? If someone does, how many more people are going to try with a body in the yard? Lets say you have 5 30 round rifle mags. 20% of your shots are hits, you double tap everyone. Thats 3 people down per mag, 15 bodies of looters in the front yard. Are people going to running at my front door leaping over the bodies like running hurdles? What world event could trigger it?

23. Sniper FX

You didnt have to tell anyone you were Atheist.
    It is blatently obvious by this post alone.

Well anyway, regardless of religion the time and place these events you
    describe occur there will be some people who know how to react and those who do not.
    That is all..

Great Thread overall thanks to everyone who contributed.

24. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm more worried about a shortage of ammo/parts/guns causing prices to go up.

I can't really imagine some kind of end-world scenario, but I guess if that happened, I'd be better prepared than most for it.

25. no7fish

no7fish New Member

You also have to consider that eventually, with a pile of bodies in your front yard, potentially threatening people will start to think "that's not such a good place to find food/water...." and pass you by for the guys with fewer bodies to vouch for their accuracy! lol