this video conversion is going to take a while

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a series 2 tivo with a 250gb hard drive in it. i have been downloading the shows off of the tivo onto my server to archive them

the files are mpeg2 and in encrypted .TIVO format. my goal is to strip off the drm and convert them to something a little more space and hardware friendly like xvid

my setup for this is as follows:
    i use a program on my desktop to grab the files off of the server and strip off the drm. now i have an mpeg2 file of the tivo show.

i would use handbrake/visualhub on my desktop to convert the file to an xvid and be done with it...but my desktop is an amd athlon 64 3000+ and gives occasional voice tracking errors, the lips might not match up with the audio...not cool

so, i use my macbook with visual hub. it grabs the file off of the desktop, deinterlaces, and converts it to an xvid. it dumps it onto the server

this process took 4 hours to do 8 1hr shows last night :noes:
    i ahve about 200gb of stuff to do

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I can't be of much help as I have never tried to save space when I transfer mine over. The only thing I do is use videoredo to cut commercials out. They do have a new version coming out with additional features but I don't remember anything specific about compressing the file, etc.

Have you searched over at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php? ??? I'm sure someone over there has an answer.

If you find something please share it with me.

3. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

what shows do you need to convert that aren't already online and in xvid format already?

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

time to invest in a Core 2 Duo E6850.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:rolleyes:

7. dorkultra

why? it's taking off the drm, but it also encodes the mpeg with my tivo key, so it is still trackable. obviously this is for my own use, not for some torrent site
    i didn't know it was illegal to change a video's encoding

the shows i have that aren't easily downloadable are modern marvels and intervention and lots of other random stuff that was once on the air, but no longer is, like family plots and 30 days and stella

8. dorkultra

i love video redo, great program
    yeah, i've done my searching. i'm not really looking for an answer though, i'm happy with my current setup, even though it requires 3 computers.

desktop needs to be upgraded/replaced

9. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

:ugh:

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I ran a quick search at work earlier but didn't get a chance to post back. someone mentioned they use videoredo and then dr. divx. never heard of dr. divx before but they seemed to like it. :dunno:

11. dorkultra

now that i think about it, tivotogo would probably do something similar to this
    it strips off the drm with your tivo key, then re-encodes the video in whatever format you want, psp, ipod, etc
    i'm not sure if it outputs xvid though
    http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html
    :rofl: @ locking the thread because i mentioned drm

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Uh...he's not asking for help.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it violates a clear rule posted in a sticky by a mod. It needs to be locked.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You need to be locked.

He's saying what he's doing, he's not asking for help to do it, and he's not telling anyone else to do it. It's the same as all the "dude, I'm so stoned right now" threads in OTAH.

Anyway, it's SLED's rule, so you and I and everyone else get to abide by his judgement.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, otah is different, that's why it's there. It's like "Im so stoned right now" or "I just stole a bunch of shit from sears" threads in other forums. not kosher.

16. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

It's Fazle's rule and I only have authority over this forum, can't speak for others. It's not a "freedom of speech" thing. It's called liability, and it's fazle's. Private message board, everyone has to play by the rules. Don't like it, then leave.

There seems to be some sort of confusion about the topic.

Example of what I will lock:
    "How do I rip my movie collection?" "I need a key for XYZ program", "can somebody hook me up with a copy of photoshop"

There are a million and a half resources online for piracy. Do a fucking google search or go spam somebody else's message board with your problem.

What I really don't consider a liability (like said thread) is somebody stating "my torrents are slow, why?", "how do i port forward thru my router so uTorrent will work", or "omg, why is my computer slow when i'm ripping movies"

A.) I really don't care why you're using torrents or what you do with them, and that is not my concern. You have a computer problem with network, somebody might be able to help you with that, fine.

B.) Somebody can't say that they "learned steps to illegally pirate (music/video/etc)" from a thread from Offtopic.com. If somebody gives a suggestion about how to properly forward a port, what that leads to, or what that user does with that information is beyond anybody's control.

It's really not that hard of a concept. If you're looking for help on how to pirate shit, it's going to get locked. Go google it.

It sucks that 30% of the discussion on this board is pissing about what should be locked and what shouldn't. That is why I'm here, and it's up to me. There are plenty of other sub-forums here for whining, lets keep it out of here. While I do not catch everything that hits this forum, I do try. I have always answered pm's from people asking why their threads were locked, and I'll always give an honest answer. Like it or not, it's up to my discression.

17. SLED

just realized that there was 1 little sentance in the OP's post that didn't fly, edited.

18. dorkultra

i think i see the edit, not a problem

i just wanted to "show off" my video conversion process. i use several programs and several computers to accomplish what a single fast computer with Tivo's tivotogo (completely legal btw) program can do

19. SLED

And forgive me if I'm not up on all the legal DRM bullshit. If it sounds fishy, i'll probably just lock/edit the thread.