This thread is for Corporate IT professionals.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valence, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I just started my first "post" college "real" job. I have a degree in MIS and while I won't get too specific here since I did sign a non disc. and a non compete :rolleyes: I do want honest opinions from my peers. I will not disclose where I work, I am not selling our business. I want opinions and a general discussion among fellow IT professionals.

I work at an IT outsourcing firm. We do lots of things, such as provide products and services like everyone else. We do installs and customization of networks, telephony, backups etc etc like everyone else does.

We do corporate wide telephony systems first off. It's compatible with analog, digital/T1, and others that are not commonly used. It does VOIP if you wish, has plugins for IVR etc etc. I love it, never had anything so nifty and that had so many features to it, from controlling the phone from pc, to web access to your voice mailbox.

We are appliance reliant :naughty: meaning we would rather install appliances to do a task or function than a software install on a server. We use the barracuda spam and the new spyware firewalls, those are really :cool: Extremely easy to install config and then monitor and filter.
    Other things are appliances that make remote access a snap, Disc based backup systems etc etc

In addition we provide network certifications and consultation, even if we do not ever touch the network. Companies do hire us to make sure their network admin's are doing their job's properly.

Now , we can reduce the amount of IT staff has onsite, but we are not out to eliminate anyone's job. We prefer an IT staff on hand to handle the simple stuff like desktop support and things that are quick and easy to fix.

My question is what kind of things do you guys work with, now that i've explained in a round a bout way the things I work with...
    Do you have a staff onhand, do you work for an IT staffing company? Which products do you guys rely heavily on?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I work for a local engineering firm that handles all sorts of stuff. Most of which I know nothing about. It's all civil engineering and the like. We're about a 300 person company overall. I work as a software engineer in the "Technology Services" sector. My team writes GIS software for the web which allows for geospatial analysis. Basically, think of Google Maps without the directions and add dozens and dozens of real GIS capabilities; and you'll have the software I write. On a daily basis I rely on technologies like C#, Web Services, SQL Server, and AJAX. I designed the current system architecture we use for our web applications, so I've gotten a lot of respect for that. Overall I love where I work, the salary is great, the people are fun, and the work is extremely challenging. Couldn't ask for much more.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I schedule engineers that do the work that I want to do.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

In Ohio, non-competes are trumped by a state law stating every Ohioan has a right to make a living. Doesn't mean you won't be taken to court, but if you do, this does offer a good amount of protection. A collection of other states of something similar. Your mileage may vary.

I'm now a marketing guy doing web and database driven app development our IT department doesn't have time or isn't able to do (I feel weird saying I'm in the marketing group). The cool part is my salary isn't related to the IT department or their chain-of-command so I find I have a good chunk of freedom (and time) when working on projects. Plus, as a marketing guy, I become a "customer" of IT services and pass my project requirements onto them when necessary.

5. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

yeah the salary isn't that great where I am at currently, I never thought I'd only make 25 a year right out of college. The GREAT thing is that I am basically receiving FREE training, or getting PAID to train on things that will benefit me greatly down the road. Plus, I'm not stuck doing helpdesk / fixing stuff via remote access (what i do currently) . They do want to train me , within the next year to year and a half to be a "system engineer" basically a technician who goes on site, as well as someone who helps design improvements and implement and install new solutions. I guess it could be considered engineering since no two jobs are the same and every company needs existing technology custom tailored to their specific needs... So there is a definite potential for growth, which all in all, is better than a higher salary now with no future.

6. CompiledMonkey

True true, but I'd be pissed if I were offered a job for 25k. I had a mark I wanted to hit and thankfully my company offered it to me without me having to negotiate for it.

7. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Thing is I was desperate for work and even more greedy for legitimate experience that I took the first Corporate IT job I found.. luckily it's turned out to be a good thing. I can't justify wanting more because I don't know how to do anything. Once I develop technical profeciency in several areas, at my 6 month review I will expect a pay raise. If I don't get it, I'm starting to look elsewhere.

8. CompiledMonkey

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

10. CompiledMonkey

Correct. I've been in the "real world" as a part timer or intern for nearly 4 years and I'll graduate this December. I am lucky to be in my position, for sure. However most of my friends graduating from the same program are starting out at 40k in Richmond, at a minimum. 40k in Richmond is damn good, esp for a 21-23 year old college graduate.

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

That's what I thought. You've paid your dues to the industry. Congrats!

12. CompiledMonkey

Yeah I guess you could say that. I was always very lucky when it came to this topic. My first job in IT was an internship where I basically knew next to nothing and was able to do my own little projects while picking the brains of their development staff. I learned a ton over that period. From then on I worked as a contractor at a few places, did some consulting, competed in a competition, etc. I had a reputation within the IS department which lead to my current company coming after me. Back in December I came in as a contractor to write backend code and teach their VB6 guys the concepts of C#. After I showed my value, they offered me my current job, as a full time employee.

13. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You can't just look at the cash you get, experience, paid training and other benefits can make up for a lower salary IMO, for a while anyways.
    I'm not making what I know I could elsewhere, but there's not a lot of other places that I would get to play with the cisco gear, have my ccna and ccnp paid for, plus work the slack hours I do (as long as my shit's working).

14. jj1814

jj1814 New Member

Valence, you're in Texas. Let me guess..... EDS?? ACS?

I was hired into Procter & Gamble out of college (2002) into their IT Organization then known as GBS. Starting salary was $55k. In 2003, P&G and Hewlett Packard signed a 10-year outsourcing agreement where GBS was brought into HP. (EDS, ACS, and IBM were all in the running to get this account). Due to that agreement, I now work for HP Managed Services, where we provide all aspects of IT support to our P&G customer (networks, servers & storage, databases, etc.) I am on the Database Management team, currently providing support only to the P&G Account. My team is comprised of team members in NA(8), EU (4), & AP(4) - providing 24x7, follow-the-sun system-level support of 1100 Oracle and SQL Server Instances (only 190 of those instances being SQL Server). And I'm trying to watch Law & Order right now so I cant think of what else I'm supposed to be saying :)

lata

15. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

No, None of those companies. There's nothing around here that I am qualified for that pays 55 a year. I WISH I could be making 55 a year, but I just graduated in may and only have all said a months experience since then.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005