This should be working but it's not. wtf.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by toconnx, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toconnx

toconnx New Member

So I used to be into this whole workout thing, posted in here all the time and learned a lot of great info - so I wouldn't consider myself a newbie. I was at about 175 and relatively lean at 5'10" a couple of years ago when I fell off the wagon :hs:

Anyways, now I'm about 200 lbs, a lot weaker, and a lot fatter than I used to be. I decided to start working out again and wanted to diet down to a reasonable bf level before I started trying to pack on the muscle.

It's been 7 weeks now and I have lost 1 pound. Here's what I do :

lifting 5 days a week (M-F) on a 3 day split (chest / tri's, back / bi's, legs / shoulders).

50 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, atleast 6 hours apart from my lifting (being in college allows me a lot of free time so I'm in the gym twice a day on most days)

I've always had a pretty slow metabolism so I don't eat too many calories. About 2500 a day. I try to space it out between atleast 4 meals, but most days I get in 5 or 6. I know what to eat and I would say my diet is pretty damned healthy. I keep away from simple carbs and bad fats as much as I can. I eat a lot of tuna, chicken, and ground turkey, fruits, vegetables, and whole-wheat breads and pastas. As a matter of fact, that's like 90% of my diet right there. Toss in skim milk and natty PB and that's basically all I eat.

So :wtf: am I doing wrong?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

lower the cals if you want to lose weight ...

3. Biskit

Biskit Active Member

Yeah I'm on the same boat here, been working out for probably a week or two more than you have but been doing just as much cardio and even swimming regularly.

Cept im 6'4 and about 234 pounds, at least thats what I was, weighed myself two or three days ago and i actually gained weight.

People see me slimmer but wtf lol.

Also, someone around here told me something that was rather intresting "Numbers mean nothing" (when it comes to a scale).

Just keep at it would be my best suggestion to you, no point in stopping at least you're doing something you know?

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Are you actually tracking your calories (fitday etc.) or just eyeballing and estimating its 2500?

5. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

word, actually writing down the caloric info makes a huge difference. earlier in my cut i was just eyeballing cals and i ended up spinning my wheels for about a week and a half, which sucks. also, high fat foods like natty PB pack on calories alot faster then you might think...

6. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I dont use fitday and I'm not 100% accurate, but I'm tracking them. I note the calories of the things that I can find out for sure what they are (i.e. a piece of bread, a can of tuna) and then just guesstimate on the rest (i.e. a piece of chicken of unknown weight, i know peanut butter has x calories per tablespoon and i think this is about x tablespoons). I've been doing this long enough that I'm pretty sure 2500 is a good estimate. I can list my diet for the past few days if you guys want to see how accurate I am...

7. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I care more about how I look and feel than about the numbers on the scale, but the numbers on the scale do account for something. If I should be losing about, say, 1-1.5 lbs of fat per week and it's been 7 weeks, then the numbers on the scale should show some evidence of that. Not necessarily the full amount of fat lost since there are a plethora of other variables that could make my weight fluctuate, but there should be some change...

8. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I don't just look at a plate of food infront of me and say "okay, this looks to be about 500 calories." I do pay attention. I know how many calories are in each slice of bread I eat, I measure my oatmeal, pasta, etc. so I can know how many calories I'm eating. I know the nutrient breakdown of the meats I eat and guesstimate the calories based on how much of the package i eat (i.e. a 1.5 pound package of chicken breasts with 4 chicken breasts of similar size, it's safe to guess that each piece of chiken is about 6 oz give or take, so i go off that).

I mean, I don't sit there with a scale and measure the grammage of everything I eat, but I would dare say i'm reasonably accurate for my purposes.

9. lif

lif New Member

I would daresay you're not reasonably accurate since your not losing weight.

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Obviously you're eating too much :hsugh: Most people underestimate the amount of peanut butter they eat. And who eats pasta on a diet?

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Track calories and macros first. Diet is your main fatloss tool.

12. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I'm not underestimating the amount of peanut butter I eat - even if I were underestimating the portions, the fact of the matter is that there's 16 servings in my jar and after 2 weeks it's still half full. I don't eat PB that much. And I don't eat that much pasta, maybe a couple of times a week and it's a pretty small serving size at that. I bought this 1lb box of whole wheat pasta over a month ago and I'm still workin on it. I know you know your shit - way more than I do - but I assure you that I've been at this long enough to know how to count my calories at the very least.

13. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I would daresay you're wrong, care to see what my diet was for the past few days?

14. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Ok man, you must be right. The reason you haven't lost weight is due to magic pixie dust in the air. You dragged it out of us. Even though you're little more than estimating intake, and you haven't lost any more weight than a good shit would account for, the real reason isn't that you're eating too much, its magic pixie dust.

God, you asked the question, you got the answer. Now go do something about it instead of arguing.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

IF you were eating only 2500 cals a day and doing 50 min cario a day and lifting 3 days a week and you haven't lost any fat you should go to the doctor and have thyroid tests done, are you always tired losing hair etc?

or use fitday and make sure you're accurate with the calories you're eating.

with the info you provided you should be doing well on weightloss so you either have a problem such as thyroid issues or you're underestimating your consumption, there just doesn't seem to be a 3rd option.

16. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Whatever. I'm just coming in here looking for people to back up that I need to eat less and that dropping my calories to 2000 with the amount of exercise I do isn't going to fuck over my metabolism. But there has been 1 person out of half a dozen that has actually said that, everyone else doesn't even bother to say eat less, they just attack me saying that I miscount my calories. I'm not fucking miscounting my calories, I've tried to put that respectfully several times and yet you guys still just accuse me of it. Would you like me to agree so we can move on?

And where did you get that I'm "little more than estimating intake"? I think I'm about as accurate as any amateur can be. I measure the foods I cook, I pay attention to package labels, and I make relatively accurate approximations with my meat. I would say that "little more than estimating" is just looking at a plate of food and saying "okay this plate of food looks like about X calories to me." I fucking measure everything. That's a bit more than "little more than estimating" if you ask me.

Obviously it's all an estimate but it's a damned accurate one.

17. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I'm actually lifting 5 days a week, just on a 3 day split. And yes, I've been losing hair for a few years now, sleep about 12 hours a day when I let myself, and have to really kick my ass to get in the gym. I also have a poor sex drive among other issues, I've been to several endocrinologists and had more tests than you can imagine over the years (even catscans to check for tumors on my pituitary gland) and nothing has surfaced from it. They just told me that's the way my body was... I got frustrated because my gains just topped off one day at a pretty pathetic level and I just started gaining weight, so I said fuck it and stopped. But I've come to accept that this is the way my body is and am working my ass off to change it.

18. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Thats estimating man. You're only lying to yourself, and it shows in your results.

19. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

there are different thyroid tests that can be done, some more effective than others plus the "normal" range for results is HUGE so they can say you're normal and you can still be a long long way from where you would have the best quality of life. doctors are near worthless when it comes to proper diagnosis of thyroid issues, i don't have problems with mine but i have a few close family memeber who have hyper thyroid and can't keep weight on and can't sleep etc. if you are as active as you say and eat what you say then you probably have a medical issue and i remind you that not all doctors are created equal and many times you have to go in with the knowledge of what test to ask for and challenge their results if they are near the abnormal range even if they aren't out of the normal range yet especially with thyroid issues due to the ridiculously huge "Normal" range

20. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Okay, so I'm staring in my fridge right now. I have a 1.16 pound package of chicken that contains 3 breasts of similar size. I know that a 4 oz chicken breast has 110 calories. I know that 1.16 pounds is about 18 oz. So I assume that each chicken breast is about 6 oz and has about 165 calories. Is this completely unreasonable? You call that "lying" to myself and really think this accounts for such a calorie differential?

21. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I realize all this, I spent a long time going to lots of different doctors, etc. I've had endocrinologists tell me to get out of their office and accuse me of looking for steroids, etc. Everyone tells me that my test results are a little shy of the absolutely mean, but still well within the normal range and that there's nothing wrong with me. Like you said, what's normal for one person might not be normal for another - but I'm too close to a mean to be treated for anything according to the half dozen opinions I've gotten. I've even had doctors suggest that I'm a hypochondriac and it's all in my mind and that I need to see a psychologist :dunno: Maybe they're right, but I honestly don't think so. At any rate, I can deal with it and just want to move on and make the best of what my body will do...

22. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

you might be gaining muscle and losing fat, muscle weighs more than fat thats why your weight hasnt gone down

how do you look infront of a mirror? do you think your bf% is the same? have you noticed muscles growing and a change in bodyfat? using a mirror is better to see progress than a scale

23. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I don't think that's very feasible... I mean it can happen to an extent, but it shouldn't be happening to the extent that my weight is practically static over 7 weeks.

24. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

:hsugh::hsugh:
    you know it is impossible to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time, yeah, he may have had newb gains, but thats it.

It is this simple, you are not loosing fat, so what you do is eat less.

if you are eating a cracker a day and you stop loosing weight, eat half a fucking cracker!

25. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i eat pasta on a diet :hsughno:

the barilla plus pasta's pretty damn tasty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.