This should be an interesting computer hardware problem to fix...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdub12, Jun 3, 2004.

1. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

So I come home and my computer are rebooted due to brown outs in my neighborhood. Well I boot them up and my 3.06 P4 is is taking like literally 5 mins to get to the login screen. Im like ok, so i reboot and even in the login screen its soo laggy. I doesnt even highlight the buttons as i go over them..its very delayed like by 30 seconds. So anyways on reboot, memory test is fine, cpu speed is ok and then again..its takes another 5 mins.

So I wait it out, get into windows and its like another 10 mins to load everything. Literally 10 mins. So i click start, wait about 30 seconds for the menu to show up and then run. I msconfig and remove everything in the startup. I reboot....same thing. I wait it out and just get it going again. From my other computer on the network..i map the slow computers HDD and run a virus scan on it. No virus's show up, and my definitions are up to date. Well the hardware device manager shows everything is fine and also the resource manager is showing everything normal. However, upon everything I do, the CPU throttling will spike to 100% load. Even when I click on a button or something so simple where it shouldnt load the processor 100%. That seems fishy to me. This is so wack...anyone have any ideas? The processor is showing up at 3.06, the memory is there, everything seems ok with hardware, and nothing is changed from Win XP Pro since the last time I used it. All windows updates were installed before the brown out reboot and before it started choking up....its also hooked to a surge protector. If anyone has any clues, let me know! Thanks guys!

2. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

Damn, sounds like a similar situation I had, but with a brand new PC. My problem turned out to be a faulty HDD.

Do you have another HDD you can swap out for your boot drive?

If you don't have another drive to test with (and even if you do) the first thing I would do would be to run a chkdsk on your boot drive. Open "My Computer", right click your boot drive -> Properties -> Tools -> click on the "Check Now" button under the Error-Checking option. I believe there should be an option to automatically fix any errors, check it. You will need to reboot. If you have bad sectors on your drive, that should fix it. If you still get the same horrible lag while trying to run the checks, or if the checks won't finish, your drive is probably fucked, I don't really know what you can do about that. Keep in mind, this took me like 2 hours to run on a healthy 250GB HDD, so be patient.

If you DO have another HDD, put the new HDD in, install XP on that drive, set up the original drive as a slave, and see if you still have the same lag. If the new drive still has the same lag, I would venture to guess the brown out fucked something in your processor or on your board. If the new drive boots up fine, but you have lag when trying to access your old HDD, you may have fucked your old HDD during the brown out. If the drive was writing to critical sections of the HDD when the power shut down, it would stand to reason that you would have siginificant lag when trying to boot or access the drive. It's also feasible that you have a failing HDD. If you right click on "My Computer" -> Manage -> and check the "Disk Management" setting under the "Storage" tree, that will tell you the status of your drives, and you can find out more info about them (i.e. whether they are healthy or have been losing data).

Then again, what do I know :dunno: At least it's a place to start......

3. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

sounds like your registry is fucked or else the MBR is messed up.

It's also very possible the brownout caused the heads on the HD to scratch the plates.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

pull all extra parts out. Extra RAM, hdds, cdroms, soundcards, video cards, pull all extras out and see if it still has the problem.

but it does sound like a hdd issue. u can get diag tools from your hdd manufacturer and test it out.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Something is messed up in the OS, not hardware. Do you have SP1 on? If so, try reinstalling it. Otherwise, you're probably going to just need to rebuild the OS.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Open Task Manager and go to the processes tab and see what process is spiking the CPU time. From what you described, I'm sure the spiking process with be the System idle process, but you can at least rule that out.

CM>

7. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

um, i tried going into safemode, and the problem still happens. takes forever to get into the OS thry safemode and navigating around. as far as what is spiking the CPU time in the taskmanager? lol, you'll get a kick out of this....the taskmanager program is whats spiking it to 100%. strange huh? its actually not spiking....its making it go 100% the entire time.

8. Stev

Stev Active Member

idk... id try doing a repair on it, not like it will hurt u to give it a shot.

9. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Format, reinstall, see what happens :bigthumb:

10. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

try rebooting it again, and then when its finally up, shut it down instead of doing a hard restet and that might fix it.

Also, check the bios and check if the brownouts didnt cause the cpu settings in the bios to stuff up.

If that dont work, open it up and have a look for any blown components, epseacially capacitors.