This routine is kicking my butt!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by cls, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Chad Waterburry's total body training (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-073-training). I forgot how much I love the feeling of doing a total body workout! Much more than the upper/lower routine I was on.

Here's how it works:

You do 6 exercises per session (4 compound, 2 isolation) choosing exercises that hit all major muscle groups. It's set up as a mon-wed-fri program

Week 1: 3x5, 3x8, 2x12
    Week 2: same, but to antagonistic movements for each set
    Week 3: 4x5, 4x8, 3x12 :noes:
    Week 4: same as last w/ antag
    Week 5: 2x18, 2x8, 2x12
    Week 6: antagonistic
    Week 7: 3x18, 3x8, 3x12
    Week 8: antagonistic

Here's the list of exercises he recommends:

Compound Exercises
    Chest: Incline, flat, decline barbell or dumbbell bench presses. Wide-grip dips.
    Back: Upright or horizontal rows. Pull-ups or pulldowns with pronated, semi-supinated, and supinated grips.
    Deltoids: Standing or seated military presses with a barbell or dumbbells utilizing pronated, semi-supinated or supinated hand positions.
    Quads: High-bar full barbell squats, hack squats or front squats.
    Lower Back/Hips: Traditional and/or sumo-style deadlifts or Good Mornings. Power cleans or snatches.

Single-Joint Exercises
    Biceps: Barbell curls, hammer curls or preacher curls.
    Triceps: Lying barbell or dumbbell triceps extensions, and pronated or supinated grip pressdowns.
    Deltoids: Front, side or rear dumbbell raises.
    Hamstrings: Glute-ham raises or leg curls.
    Calves: Standing, seated or donkey calf raises.
    Stick to the above list of exercises for optimal results.

So last night I did full squats, power cleans, jerks, incline bench, situps on the GHR, and curls. I was wasted by the end! We'll see if I survive the 2 months...

Anyone else here do this routine?

2. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I had a feeling this would be a Waterbury routine when I read that it was kicking your ass.

I finished ABBH about a week ago and the 10x3 REALLY kicked my ass. I'm working through ABBH2 right now and then I'm going to start TBT. I'm really looking forward to it!

3. cls

10x3 sounds nuts. Do you go heavy on every set? How many exercises do you do?

4. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

10x3 IS nuts, but really really effective.

You use 2 exercises a day with 10x3 - something like bench/chest
    Then a day off
    Then 5x10 for squats/abs/calves

Then you basically increase the rep numbers so 10x3 becomes 10x4 and 10x5 (with the same weight) It's pretty brutal but by the end of it my 1rm had become weight I could move for 3.

Here's a link to the routine - he sets out the whole thing start to finish:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459341

5. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

6. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

good stuff....im currently doing a full body that i made up.....i might adjust a little to bring in some stuf from this new info.

7. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

i actually just finished 5 weeks on TBT and thoroughly enjoyed each workout.

here's some additional text posted by Chad in the comments area after the article was posted. this "rendition" was what i did to a T.

8. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Any particular reason?

I think he, CT and Berardi are the best writers at T-nation. I like short intense programs to try and switch things up a little. I always swore by 3 sets, 6-8 reps but things got fairly stagnant.

I tried 5x5 for a while, but some of waterburys and CTs suggestions and more advanced techniques REALLY kicked my ass and my strength and size is constantly improving.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  9. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

This is exactly the program I'm using to get my ass back into gear after a while away from the gym.

How's it going for you? What week are you on?

This is the first time I'm seriously training, without outside motivation, and eating properly.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Do you mean CT or TC ? TC is the guy that whines about anything. I don't even read his articles, they're useless.

11. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

shit, i meant CT.. i.e. thib.

Edited my post to reflect that, thanks.

12. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yeah Cressey is a strong dude for his weight and actively competes. Plus his shit about mobility work can benefit everyone. Same with Christian T. I like reading articles from people who actually live what they write about.

I used to like Shugart but his bullshit pisses me off now.

13. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Yeah I mean I do find myself disagreeing with a lot of Berardis reasons. When he says things like "most carbs should come from fruit and veg", for an average guy eating 300g a day, he's not seriously suggesting to get most of that from fruit.veg is he? It's a decent idea to promote more fruit/veg but in practical terms it's ridiculous.

I'll do some more reading of cressey and robertson - I haven't really looked at their stuff before.

14. cavefish

Yeah the thing about T-Nation is theres a lot of great info out there. You just have to weed through the bullshit and Biotest marketing machine to get it.

What's hilarious are the forum faggots who treat every article as the gospel truth as if it was written by Jesus Christ himself.

15. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Yeah. That review they did on muscle milk was just appalling. They lost a lot of credibility for that IMO.

I always find it funny how sites always revolve around what supps they sell.

For example, T-nation pushes BCAAs like crazy. The big writers talk about taking 20-30g a day.. that's a lot of BCAAs and it is fucking expensive!!

Another forum I visit pushes protein blends like crazy because that's what their store sells. They dismiss BCAAs as gimmicky and suprise, suprise, the company sponsoring the site doesn't make them.

That said, I'm sure biotest supps are very good quality and give good results, but there are WAY cheaper alternatives and the marketing actually puts me off because I dont like being lied to!

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Not totally true. He seems to get lots of supps from them. I think he was getting 100g of BCAAs a day and some Hot-Rox and whatnot during his "transformation".

17. cavefish

Yeah plus I think the BCAA's and Hot Rox weren't exactly the major factors in his transformation.

18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Certainly not but hey, if someone gives you supps for free, why not ?
    That's also true about the client thing. He probably ears more client by doing his transformation anyway.

19. cls

1st week... I just had my second workout yesterday. I'm gonna adjourn for the thanksgiving weekend since I'll out of town and reconvene a week from today for week 2.

I really like the feeling I get from this program post-training. I don't get sore and beat like when I'm hitting a muscle with 10+ sets, instead I feel a little tired and a bit sore, but I know I be 100% when it's time to squat tomorrow :bigthumb:

20. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

add dan john and mike boyle to that....i'm not a fan of CT anymore since he turned gay

21. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

perhaps so... this routine isn't 10x3 however and is actually quite well rounded.

:dunno:

22. animated2

animated2 Guest

23. cls

3x12 for everything today. I'm not used to these high reps, I'm sweaty & exhausted by the end of the workout. Feels good to push myself though.

24. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I kinda switched out of the program for now since I have gotten a better idea of what I want to do.

My current play involves a lot more squatting and deadlifts :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.