this router is pissing me off.. a lil help please?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sushibug, Jan 17, 2006.

1. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

I have the DMZ enabled with my computer (correct ip) set to it but uTorrent uses random outgoing ports or something and i can't upload to other users. i can download just fine but if i close uTorrent and open it back up to share it won't connect to a single client. it's a linksys DI-514. i think the firewall has something to do with it. i know the connection issues is the router b/c i've had no problems without it. any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. FallNAngel

FallNAngel ...destroyer of threads...

Sounds like you just need to set the router to forward traffic on the port uTorrent is using. In uTorrent, you can set it to use a particular port, find out what it is and set your router to forward connections to that port to your computers IP.

3. skelm

skelm New Member

A DMZ server will forward on every packet to the designated IP, so I really don't think this would be it...

4. FallNAngel

Good point... didn't even think of that for some reason...

5. sushibug

the port you set it for is only incoming traffic. it uses a random port for outgoing traffic... thats what their FAQ says anyway.

i downloaded azureus and its the same thing. while a file is downloading it can upload to other people but if it finishes and i restart the program (seed mode only basically), it can't connect to any peers.

it sucks that i cant disable the firewall completely on the router... is that normal for routers or does my d-link suck balls?

6. samm

samm Next in Line

I have the d-link di524 and I'm able to use the bitsonwheels torrent program just fine. On my router you can enable or disable any firewall rules you want, the only exception is the 3 default rules.

7. FallNAngel

What if you close the program mid download? Does the client verify what you have, reconnect and continue to share / download from everyone as it should?

Well, putting the computer in the DMZ *should* bypass the firewall in a sense. For grins though, have you tried taking it off the DMZ and manually routing the ports it uses?

8. sushibug

if the file doesnt complete and its still downloading, it iwll connect to seeds and peers. but if it is seed only, it wont connect.

yes, i've turned the DMZ off and tried to do the ports manually. i might've jumped the gun when i said azureus didn't work either as i can now seed. i guess the random outgoing ports from utorrent is giving my router issues. going to resolve everything and buy a new router tomorrow... its got a shitty wireless signal range anyway.

9. FallNAngel

The dmz outgoing ports shouldn't be a problem... kinda ever. The router should automagically keep track of the outgoing data and automagically forward it back, much like how you surf the web. The only problem you should have is getting inbound connections.

10. skelm

skelm New Member

Have you added exceptions to the router firewall?

Also, do you run any firewalls on the machine itself?

Another thing to consider, have you tried reinstalling the software itself (if it's the only program with the problem).. Completley uninstall the app and delete anything in Application data.

Let us know if there is still an issue after this :big grin:

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

As for Azureus, it only uses one port, not a range. Pick a port, specify that it the options menu in Azureus, and open that port and forward it to your local IP in the router.

I never used utorrent, but I think it's stupid that a random port is used for outgoing traffic. They should know that most of us are behind routers.