This really sucks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Why, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Why

Why New Member

Okay. I'm going to need some serious help. One day I noticed that my computer doesn't read my hardrive, so I slammed the IDE plug into the IDE slot. After that it still didn't read it, so I tried taking it out and one of the pins in the IDE slot broke. So that sucked. After that happened, my computer was basically broken, so I broke my other computer accidently by taking the processor out via pulling the heatsink away from the processor. After that happened, my processor pins were bent, so I used a 0.5 led pencil without the led to put the pins back in place. (Said so in Maximum PC Magazine)
    But one of the pins broke.

I don't plan on purchasing two new computers, or buying a new motherboard.
    I was looking for some motherboards this one Maximum PC Magazine, but they were all expensive. More than I can afford. Around 200-300 dollars. I'm only a kid, so I can't get that kind of money anywhere.

Does anyone know a cheap computer with more than 256 MB of ram less than 250 dollars?
    And a processor less than 150 dollars with no less than 2.2?

Thanks.

2. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

Uhhhh, you need to be more careful when working with computers in the future.

Now, motherbaords cost around 50 bucks for a good one, but I need to know what kind of processor, RAM, Video Card and that stuff etc. before I find you one.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Plug the CPU that still works into the motherboard that still works.

Why were you taking the CPU out of the computer that worked? Wasn't that asking for trouble?

I'd look on NewEgg.com to see what older Pentium 4 combo deals they have going. That's your best bet to get a cheap matching set of CPU and motherboard.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

Compusa, this past weekend... I forgot the manufacturer but it had 512meg ram and 160g hard drive for $289 (no rebates, that's the price).

Best Buy had an emachines for $279 but it only had 256meg/100g. Check out compusa.

5. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

I hope that he knows that they are of the same socket before he does that.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If they aren't, it will be pretty immediately obvious. That said, yes, he should check first.

7. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

You always check first. After the first try, you will indeed know that it does not fit, but that information may come at the cost of a broken pin or 5.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, if you fucking force the thing in there :ugh:

If a CPU doesn't just drop right in, it's the wrong socket (or the wrong direction). You don't need to break any pins to figure that out.

9. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Swing by TigerDirect.com and Newegg.com and take a look at their barebane selections..

10. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

You don't want to know how many CPUs I've seen broken by idiots who try to force the thing in. I am just trying to make sure it does not happen again ITT.

11. Why

Why New Member

I put it in gently. But I guess I didn't match the pins with the holes, so after pulling the lever, the pins broke...

I'll check out CompUSA. ;)