This pretty much explains why most story driven games suck.

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by EscapingJail, Jun 13, 2009.

1. EscapingJail

EscapingJail Playing To Win

[y]wH1wXRvhSNA[/y]

2. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Good stuff.

3. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

dude sounds like one heartless prick :rofl:

4. henroid

henroid dayum

I agree but I'm completely opposite with him on the last fight of God of War and the shadow fight in God of War 2. I really loved that hugging your family fight because you found out what he did to his family not too long before. So you already kinda felt bad for him or at least mad at him and I was really glad at a chance for redemption.

Now the God of War 2 shadow fight where you kill that soldier - I didn't even remember that there was even a soldier at the beginning of the game that helps you. For me that was like, okay who the hell is this guy, oh I guess they know each other. lulz okay

5. IrrelevantNotch

IrrelevantNotch New Member

Another thing to consider is how movies usually involve several people, whereas videogames try to tell epic stories with nothing but a single character. Metal Gear Solid can get away with some good plots because of Snake's radio crew, but games like Zelda suck it up big time since the only thing driving the plot forward is some lame sidekick Link ran into.

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

If you go ahead and nit pick every thing about character development & placement in a game, of course you may find yourself finding problems with it. You are supposed to suspend belief and just let yourself enjoy the story. Just like when you watch a good movie/TV show or read a good book and you care about a character.

He uses examples like inFamous... it isn't the most well-written story to begin with. I mean, I liked it but it's no masterpiece. Expectations with that dude in the video seemed too high. I believe, if executed correctly, a story-driven game could easily have one care about the characters in it, no matter how major or minor. It's just about the execution. You'll find movies, books and TV shows with just as bland/unlikeable characters as some games so what's the difference?

7. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

because this guy has an opinion...and a webcam.

8. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

I'm surprised he didn't use FF7 as a point since you meet aeirs at the same time the character does and when she dies you (well I did anyways) really feel her death so much more.

9. HotSauce0034

HotSauce0034 Cowboys Crew : Xbox Live GT & PSN GT = Levati

makes me wanna play God of War 1 and 2 in prep for 3

10. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

Over-simplified, but I see his point. Max Payne would technically be one of the games he's talking about, but it worked well there.

11. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I think he'd think differently if he played something other than Kill-Shit-And-Win kind of games.

In the games he mentions, ofcourse you don't really care. The game's story doesn't really matter at all, they're just hack and slash then win kinda deals.

12. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

That is what I was thinking. All the examples he used were action or shooter games. They are not story driven games at all, they are action games with a story narratives used to link action sequences together.

With RPG games like Final Fantasy it is the exact opposite. The story is the main focus and the battles and puzzles are just there to move the story along. It is all about the characters journey and growth so the chance of caring about them or what happens to them is much higher. Plus they are usually alot longer, average I would say is like 30-40 hours with some going more then 80+ where are the games he mentioned might last 15 hours.

13. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:werd: Guy in video fails

14. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Yeah, exactly. Worded a lot better than I did :o Some RPG's focus too much on the main character sometimes rather than whats happening around them, but hey, they can't all be winners.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG for that effect either. Psychonauts for example is a heavily story driven game. I think it would meet his standards as well because everyone in the game isn't someone in his past, they're all new people to both the main character and you.

I should get back on my psychonauts game... I haven't gotten very far :o

15. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

It's a FUCKING VIDEO GAME. You're PRETENDING to be the character you a controller. STFU fucking moron. :o

16. Mr J

Mr J New Member

haha

17. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Psychonaughts was fucking awesome. That game I pretty much started playing and couldn't stop until I finished it. Soo good.

18. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

music is really annoying

guys voice is really annoying

whinging on about how video games are action oriented which somehow magically forces you to protect the douchiest characters in a game like they're you're favorite hooker stupid and annoying.

19. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

I was waiting for him to use this example the entire video

20. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

But yeah for the most part I agree with the video. In the end though it's a hack-n-slash video game he's referencing so I don't expect to have much story driven emotion flying around.

21. Richard Manuel

Richard Manuel OT Supporter

guess I don't need to play that one now

22. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

I feel that he makes a lot of good points, but he just can't empathize with video game characters. You can't expect games to detail your entire history with every character you meet in the game. Most stories give you an "outline" of your history with the character and this is mostly successful as the relationships you encounter in-game will mirror those personalities and relationships you see in your real life.

For instance, in GoW2, you aren't going to know every detail of your close family's history, but you will have a general idea of why Kratos cares for them and given that most everyone has a family (or even someone they care about) IRL, the player is still able to care about the story and become immersed in the game if they empathize with the character/relationship based on their RL experiences.

The Mirror's Edge example is another one that targets player empathy. No we don't know about the inner workings of Faith and Kate's sisterhood, but most people have a sibling (or friend they consider a sibling) and are able to understand why Faith is working so hard to set her sister's name right. Combined with the way we see Faith keeping tabs on her sister and the embraces and mannerisms between them when Kate is first framed and when Faith saves Kate at the end of the game, it's easy for the player to be emotional about the story of the game if they make any effort to relate personal experiences with in-game relationships.

I do agree some games get it right with the way they develop character history between the protagonist at the same time as the player, but to say that stories that don't follow that idea "suck" shows an extreme short-sightedness and inability to suspend disbelief and put yourself in another person's shoes.

23. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:dunno: I don't see why you said 'wrong'... where did we disagree? I said execution is the main problem, not the story. You seem to be saying the same thing.

Final Fantasy isn't the best example of great stories... it's drenched in JRPG cliches. BioShock and Half Life are better examples of story executed correctly in a video game in a way that makes in engaging.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  24. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

I always hate having to save people when I'm trying to kill an enemy. It makes the game painful to play.

25. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

oh I completely agree

Especially when a game has a "keep this pussy safe" mission

Nothing more annoying than having some useless chode keep dying because they suck, but you can't play any of the fun missions until you finish with that shitty mission