LGBT this pisses me off: gay publications outing celebs

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Oct 26, 2005.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Oh, God... I was waiting to see when this would hit OT. This has been the current hot topic of many of the queer activism groups that I'm affiliated with. Well, let's see how OT weighs in ('cause I will admit that I see the POV's of both sides)...

3. cedric

I don't see how it's anyone else's business how these stars use their influence if they're gay. Forcing someone out of the closet for your own purposes is just something you DO NOT DO. Any homosexual should know and understand this.

We have enough threads in here where the advice "come out when you're ready and on your own terms" is given. That should apply to all, regardless of how public their lives are. :embd:

4. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

then again, how is it any different from tabloids publishing celebrity romances?

5. CoCo

...the inspiration of this article, and those like it, is actually aimed at those closeted queer members of political organizations who's focuses include limited queer visibility and rights. In those cases, I'm less likely to feel bad about 'a celebrity' who says one thing while living another (read: a certain very vocal Republican Congressman, who opposes all legislation LGBT, and yet he and his male chief of staff have been lovers for years).

As someone psychologically minded, I understand the cognitive issues regarding coming out. But as a queer activist, I also understand that members of the LGBT community need to identify who they are especially when they are in the media spotlight-- or rather, they should feel compelled to do so. Silence implies tacit consent when one is confronted with bigotry, homophobia, misogyny, racism, etc...

But at the same time, I understand the importance of privacy, and that popular image (and opinions) really will make or break you in certain industries. But once you've already 'made it', why not use your fame and influence to better the world? I don't know, like I said earlier, I'm on the fence.

6. cedric

meh, that doesn't count :greddy: those things out EVERYONE. their credibility is shit. It just sucks that a gay publication would do something like that.

7. cedric

self-loathing douche canaries aside, the guys who were outed had everything to lose and nothing to gain from coming out. Sports isn't exactly the most accepting place to be openly homosexual. Sure they could've helped the community, but at what cost to themselves?

I can't disagree, but it's a choice that individuals should be allowed to make for themselves, not have it made for them.

Again, it should be a personal decision. It just seems like a stab in the back for a gay publication to do something like that to a gay man who was still closeted.

8. CoCo

Uhh, unless that isn't the same article that I read back on the 21st, there weren't mention of any athletes. However it did talk about politicians, thus eliciting my earlier comment. In situations such as Hollywood and Sports, I'll concede that it has been historically detrimental to careers. In a better world--like QAF--even that wouldn't be an issue. Remember that I'm on the fence, pum'kin, and unless the situation is extreme enough (like the political scenario above), I doubt I'll be outing anyone...

9. CoCo

Good, but do remember that I did specify that such people should feel compelled to do so.

10. cedric

Diff'rent strokes I suppose. :dunno:

11. cedric

sorry, I got my train of thought confused for a sec there. I thought he was a sports reporter for some reason. I still stand by my statement though. The guy's a news anchor. I don't see him having a hell of a lot to gain from coming out. I still believe that it should be his choice whether or not he wants to come out or not. I mean, what good is he to the gay community if he's outed? He won't make much of an advocate for their side. It just seems like a pretty hateful thing to do, just because someone doesn't act how you believe they should.

12. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I'm actually thinking of writing an email to the author. As far as I'm concerned, he's WAY off base. Who I fall in love with, and who I have sex with is nobody else's business but my own, regardless of my celebrity status.

13. NOVAJock

My email to Kevin:

14. mamoru

mamoru New Member

What a fucking sleazy article. I'm nauseous :ugh:

And you know, that whole section about Sheperd Smith singing showtunes and asking him back to his place - that's just FUCKING TACKY FOR THIS "JOURNALIST" TO WRITE ANYTHING OF THAT SORT.

I don't give a flying fuck if it's true or false. It's no ones business except Shep's and his if it's even true.

A perfect article would be "gay celebs should come out for so and so reasons" not "Shep, Anderson and Jodi, come on out!!!" I mean, that's to say if you wanted to write such an article to promote gay celebs to come out if they choose to, not out them right then and there.

What a fucking sleazy piece of shit article. I'm so mad now. It's NO ONES GODDAMNED BUSINESS. Jodi can act, and both news reporters are good at what they do - why not let them be? Fuck that. I'm about to write an email to that piece of shit worthless fuckhead who calls himself a journalist :mad:

15. NOVAJock

16. CoCo

On this subject, I just received an email from Jim Nimmo--well known for his editorial and epistolary contributions to many area queer publications. Just as a FYI...

17. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

I don't understand people's fascination with these themes, lately everyone seems to be judgemental and this brings me to something I've been saying a lot lately: Look yourself in the mirror first, specially before throwing the first rock.

18. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Well nobody promised a celebrity a private life. This is most certainly wrong, but to say that it's unexpected is a bit naive.

19. sholnay

sholnay New Member

thats very well written by Nimmo

20. CoCo

I've always luved his writing. And yes, I wish I had written it :wtc:

21. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

My email to Kevin

22. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

this has been well treated in academia. Larry Gross "the politics of outing" might be a good place to start if any of you are interested.

i believe that outing cultivates an invasion of privacy that when set in media as an agenda, such as it is now in queer media, it inhibits the identity development of closeted gays. In other words, outing by gay activists creates an environment that embodies hostility in both the heterosexual and homosexual environments. It is possible that a closeted gay individual would be pushed further in the closet by a perceived lack of a right to choose when they disclose their sexual orientation to others

23. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

But I really wanted to be on the front cover of a tabloid that says that I'm gay! It would be so helpful.