WEB This looked like the best place to post this ...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Siddhartha, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Sunflower (0f Death)

I'm asking for advice and I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have a friend who takes an Excel spreadsheet around with him at his job when he makes sales calls to clients, and this spreadsheet has all of his forms and drop-downs for the different parts and packages he sells. Once he and the client agree on the best package, he prints some of these forms and uses them as a bill-of-sale and work order. He wants to take this spreadsheet and sell it to other salesmen in his industry and because I know more about working with Excel and such then he does, he has asked me to help.

He obviously wants to take this spreadsheet and customize it for each person he sells it to based on their company (logos, billing addresses, etc) and he also wants to lock it down so that other's cannot change anything in it or distribute it to their friends without my friend getting his cut.

The approach I was thinking of was to convert the spreadsheet(s) to html format and then compile it so that we can be assured that the normal user won't be able to get into the guts of it and resell it themselves. I also felt that this allowed the customer to use the compiled product with a browser (like Firefox, for example) so that we don't have to require the customer to install an Excel viewer or other similar product. Do you feel that this is the best approach?

I've tried using Spreadsheet Converter (http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com/download/Default.htm) but it doesn't bring in the logos or retain the format correctly.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to solve the ultimate problem here, which is to distribute this spreadsheet based product and retain the ability to keep it from being copied and redistributed away from our control?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. c.a

c.a New Member

cliffs?

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I wouldn't just "convert" the spreadsheet into html. I would suggest that you take it and upload it into a little database. That way you could easily manipulate everything you need to via php/.asp/etc pages. It will take a little bit longer, but in the run your friend could do so much more with the data (historical, competition, management level reports vs sales reports,etc).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  4. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Sunflower (0f Death)

Would anyone be interested in providing or linking to a tutorial that would help me accomplish this?