This just seems unacceptible from a developer...

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Fareo, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

Valve: (PC = 360) > PS3

tell me how you really feel gabe... :hsugh:

oh i c :o

lazy? :ugh:

:o

real way? what does that even mean?

"cancel it and do a do over".. :ugh:? .. i think we need to cancel your ability to represent your company and do a do over :hsugh:

if you knew this then why do it at all? just so you can prove the 360 is superior? :o

the PC is on par with the 360? so givin the pirating on the PC you still think your going to make more money on the that then the PS3 even though you cant pirate a single copy on the PS3? :ugh:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complet...IQBSgA&q=valve+ps3&spell=1&fp=f0f10e168a40ccb

[​IMG]

---

This just doesn't make any sense to me, in 2006 i guess i could see where his arguments are coming from, but some of those quotes were from today... if you look at games like inFamous, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear 4, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3 i dont see how they can justify saying the PS3 is a waste of time from a technology stand point, clearly the Cell works just fine and the fact that the PS3 is currently "uncrackable" because of the cell kinda proves that the processor is just as good if not better then what you would find in a 360?

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4351340

Also with arguments like "we dont feel like there is enough people playing online" and "we dont think the hardware is a smart move" why isn't valve taking into consideration the failure rate of the 360? why are they supporting a 30% failure rate console that had a large install base of pirates and not a console that has a 7% failure rate and no pirating?? i just dont get it? unless this is extreme fanboizum or M$ has dropped a shit ton of money on them it doesn't seem right? and apparently the CEO of Gearbox agrees ...

---

Translation: Gabe Newell is basically the same as CodeX :o

http://kotaku.com/5399454/gearbox-boss-valve-is-behaving-like-fanboys

---

I honestly don't care if I ever see a valve game on the PS3 because i have a PC and i can just play them there, and even though i can... i dont. They just dont appeal to me. I dont play counter strike, i dont play TF2, ive never played through any of the half life games and while the "gameplay" for L4D looks cool the zombie shooter idea is played out to me.

its not that I'm pissed I dont get L4D2 on the PS3 its the principle that this company is singling out a large chunk of its potential demographic for no reason other then a internet forum style fanboy grudge, which is pathetic and sad. i understand he has the right to make games for what ever he wants because its his company but they way valve is handling its decision to not support the Playstation format doesnt seem morally or professionally right.

i never really liked the games in the first place but i really have no respect for this company from a business standpoint at all.

IByouraPS3fanboy

whatever, i dont even care, i dont own a single valve game and if they ever kissed and made up with sony i still wouldnt own any, i might rent L4D to see what the buzz is about but the console i currently use to play my games has nothing to do with how i feel about his professionalism as a CEO :o

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. Los

Los Active Member

This hasn't been discussed before.

Obviously Gabe's has a different plan for his company. Valve has never really contributed to the playstation format. Why start now?

3. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

Gran Turismo 5 is not out yet.

:bowdown: to Gabe taking a stand. At least he's not releasing a PS3 game that is a big "FUCK YOU" to everyone who bought it *coughinfinitywardcough*

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Valve sound like fanboys but they still make some damn fine games. And I don't think you can blame them for not making games on other platforms besides PC (and 360). Naughty Dog only makes PlayStation games, they don't make their games for 360 or PC. It's just the same deal, but on the other end... except Valve is more vocal about their reasons for it than others.

5. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

i agree with this, but from what naughty dog has produced, there is really no excuse as to why they can't put left 4 dead or other source based games easily on ps3.

6. hellodon

hellodon

If they're having a difficult time developing on it because it's something they're not used to - then just say that...it's definitely going a bit overboard saying shit like he has said...and this isnt the first time.

They must be having a difficult time writing a game with an actual story too - because they havent done it in 5 years...they've upgraded an old game (TF2) 40 times and made a zombie multiplayer game (which don't get me wrong, I own and loved the first one)....and then slapped a 2 in the equation and are releasing it again in 2 weeks.

7. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

I doubt anyone on this forum only owns one console. What's the big deal? Valve isn't a publicly traded company, so they aren't a slave to the profit margin. If more companies discriminated like Valve, this console generation would be more interesting.

8. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I think he's a douche, he probably knows that a lot of people think he's a douche. What's the big deal? His company supports installing trojan horses on people's computers. Fuck him.

9. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

As a former beta tester I've seen games be delayed and almost dropped from PS3 because of how hard it was to develop for them. Seriously Skate was running fine on the 360, but we had to push the game back 3 months just to attempt to tackle all the bugs on the PS3. Had way more crashes, in comparison in every game I ever tested there that was for both consoles.

I also only had 1 Xbox break on me there and that was because I dropped it pulling a cord. I had 2 PS3's go on me testing them :rofl:.

10. henroid

henroid dayum

what Gabe says is true though. He's talking about the PS3 from a developer's standpoint mostly, not a consumer's. If you do a game for Xbox 360 or PC, the code is pretty interchangeable. So in the first quote, he means that the more you invest your time into programming for 360 and PC, the better you the next PC or 360 project. For PS3, you have to learn specifically how to program for the Cell (which, from a dev standpoint is exceptionally hard) for the only benefit of being better able to do PS3 games.

So basically he's saying: we don't want to do PS3 games because we don't have the people or the time to do a same-as-PC-and-360-quality game. I don't think it's an issue of laziness as you said, it's just not practical for them

11. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

This Nukka understands.

12. Fareo

Fareo New Member

naughty dog is under an exclusive deal with sony, and weather or not Valve has the same kind of agreement with microsoft its unethical to and unprofessional to go about stating his personal preferences on either or console the way he has.

think about it, what if our president came out and said "i think Iraq is a waste of everyones time and that we should just bomb it and start the country over". i understand thats alil extreme, but you see what im saying though. someone in a position as great as his should have a little more integrity then that, because if what he says is true and his integrity is not questionable why arent there other developers doing the same thing?

why isnt Itawa or Miyamoto quoted in and interview saying how much the xbox360 and PS3 is a waste of time and has forgotten what a videogame system is all about? why arent they imposing their morals and beliefs on other company's saying how "putting a bluray drive in a videogame system is dumb" or "trying to add twitter and facebook too it defeats the purpose"? because Nintendo has more integrity then that, im sure they have their own opinions and the proof is in their hardware, but they dont need to come out like a forum troll an bash whoever they dont like to the main stream media.

:o

13. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i think your missing my point ...

14. Fareo

Fareo New Member

everything has been discussed before, this.. is.. OT.. *kicks Los into the pit" :hsugh:

15. henroid

henroid dayum

The bottom line here is not that I'm pissed I dont get L4D2 on the PS3 its the principle that this company is singling out a large chunk of its potential demographic for no reason other then a internet forum style fanboy grudge, which is pathetic and sad.

that was your point right? cuz if it is then you missed my point

16. Fareo

Fareo New Member

ya i kinda missed worded that :o i can see how i failed now..

no my point is more about is professionalism the part right after that...

i understand he has the right to make games for what ever he wants because its his company but they way valve is handling its decision to not support the Playstation format doesnt seem morally or professionally right.

see post #12

17. henroid

henroid dayum

oh I see it now. I think my point still stands: there are very strong business reasons for Valve to not support the PS3 - both internal and external business reasons. I don't think we can argue about that.

expressing that to the public is probably the touchy part. As far as I know he was asked about his stance on PS3 in interviews but I'm not sure. He probably could've chosen his words better, especially with that quote about the PS3 being a failure. However, I dunno if he hates the PS3 that much to release press releases stating his position on the matter :rofl: so assuming he was specifically asked to give his opinion we probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise

18. Rivers

Rivers THROW AWAY LOGIC AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB

You gotta remember Valve is NOT a big company employee wise they don't have the time or manpower to work on the PS3 when they could cover (xbox/Pc) easily.

Gabe is still a douche though :o

19. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i agree with his right to refuse to develop for the playstation format, if i came off and said "this is bullshit he shouldnt be allowed to segregate the playstation users like this" i would just be a fanboy. we can agree on that.

as you said the touchy matter is he "could have" chosen his words better the fact is he didnt, and continues to fail and having a shred of integrity with the press. and yes i am aware that the whole point of the press is to make someone look far better or worse then they really are but there is no miss quoting "i think the ps3 is a waste of time and they should cancel it and do a do over".

we as gamers (and i mean PC Xbox PS3...) shouldnt stand for that because all it does is promote the hatred between consoles that already exist, i have nothing against the xbox or the wii i may poke fun at it once in a while in a troll thread, but honestly all i want is gran turismo, thus i have a PS3 and thats really the driving force behind me owning a video game system. if all developers chose the route he takes with his stance on the consoles you and i wouldnt be having a civilized conversation like this because the forum would be nothing but a cage match, and we wouldn't be apart of it.

20. Fareo

Fareo New Member

well aware of that and as i said i dont play valve games so, valve not putting games on the PS3 isnt bothering me.

21. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

Gabe is a fanboy. Anyone who seriously cares is also a fanboy.

22. Fareo

Fareo New Member

Your contributions to this thread have been accepted and will be carefully evaluated as contributing factors to the discussion of this thread.

Thank You

Customer Support

23. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

So you don't even play Valve games? This is like whining about who got elected President when you didn't even vote.

24. Fareo

Fareo New Member

my point > you

25. JT07

JT07 OT Supporter

who gives a fuck what the developers want, its all about the consumers and the PS3 offers the potential to make a bigger and better game, now if you as developers are too lazy to dig into the system and figure it out then you dont really care what the consumer wants