A&P This job wouldn't be so hard if I didn't suck so badly at photoshop. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Jul 2, 2007.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

So I'm the head coach for a summer league swim team this summer, and I also did the portraits of all the swimmers. In years past they've done a landscape 8 x 10 collage type thingy with the team picture, an individual portrait, and some text... This is what I have so far.

EDIT2: I got the action working. It does do cords (kinda). Yay.

EDIT: Also, here's the origional .PSD file (60 something MB)
    http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg243h/Prelim.psd

[​IMG]

Compared to the guy who has done it in years past, I do have a much nicer background (an HDR). The background is the Chattahoochee river a quarter mile from the club. They seem to like to use this. The team portrait isn't perfect. I had a guy literally take 10 of them and this was the best out of 10 (damn kids). There's a little light falloff and distortion on the edges, but nobody is going to care.

The "hard" part of this job is going to be setting up an action to process all of the individual pictures. What I need is to have photoshop open up each kids individual portrait, paste it in the correct position, apply the right layer style blending options. ALSO, I want to incorporate the team colors for this year (near 255 red and 255 yellow I grabbed it from a kid's shirt) into the text, without having it look like crap. The font I choose looked the best to me (Have 1000's).

Basically I have three questions for you OT...

1. Will an action recognise exact coordinates where I paste pictures?
    2. If you could move anything in this picture, what would you move, and where would you put it?
    3. You think that text is OK?

Also, don't bitch about the backgrounds in either picture... I know they kinda suck, I was doing the best I could (for individual portraits, I was originally shooting them in the water, but it was thundering that day, so we had to recolate to the diving board... it was nearly impossible to keep people out of my background).

I originally wanted the individual portraits to look like this.

[​IMG]

OR this

[​IMG]
    (WB is off, haven't edited it)

But sometimes kids give you this

[​IMG]

And you just have to work with it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

1) I reeeeallly want to say no to this, but am not sure

2) I would move the text down or make it bigger as to fill the open space under it ( or perhaps even add the kids name?)

3) The text is ok, the font is meh (sorry, I read you have 1000's :hs: )

Looking at your tentative result as someone who knows nothing about falloff or white balance, I would say, VERY nice job :cool:

oh and the black border around the white border in the top and left of the inset pictures bothers me :o

3. Rich

Rich New Member

Photoshop is only fun when you're making it look like people are doing thing's funny.

4. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

You're right, it was distracting. I changed the stroke from 5 pixels to 2 (stroke being the black border you were talking about). With the drop shadow, 2 px is plenty to set it off from the background.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

This is something so minor you probably won't even bother with it, but I would change the angle of the drop shadow just a little bit. Having at a perfect angle like that makes it look pretty unnatural. :dunno:

6. spizarxxx

spizarxxx DSLR, GSD, DJ CREW & OT's Resident On Air Personal

better than me at photoshop thats for sure