MMA This is why strikeforce is done....

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kuet, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Kuet

Kuet New Member

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15889/str...0-viewers-ufc-100-replay-nabs-two-million.mma

"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" draws 576,000 viewers, UFC 100 replay nabs two million

by Dann Stupp on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:15 pm ET
    [​IMG]As expected Spike TV's replay of a UFC 100 pay-per-view event outdrew the live broadcast of "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" on Showtime this past weekend.

Spike TV, a basic cable station, is available in 98 million homes. Showtime, a premium cable station, has approximately 21 million paying subscribers.

"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" drew an average audience of 576,000 viewers. The UFC replay drew nearly four times that with two million total viewers, Spike TV officials today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Strikeforce's Aug. 15 event was one of the biggest shows in the promotion's history and featured the long-awaited Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Gina Carano title fight. As with other competitors, the UFC and Spike TV ultimately decided to counter-program the broadcast.

Strikeforce's event averaged 576,000 viewers (and peaked with 856,000 for the night's main event at midnight). UFC 100 averaged two million viewers, and it's 1.8 rating (513,000 viewers) was the highest-rated program in the male-18-34 demographic during its timeslot.

Additionally, Spike TV edged Showtime in that demo with 513,000 viewers to the premium channel's 181,000.

UFC 100 took place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The milestone event featured one of the most stacked cards in the organization's history with three headline-worthy fights, including the official main event of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar vs. interim title-holder Frank Mir.

The Strikeforce event, which took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., also featured Strikeforce interim lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez's title defense over Mitsuhiro Ishida, Gegard Mousasi defeating light-heavyweight champ Renato "Babalu" Sobral, and Fabricio Werdum easily defeating. Mike Kyle.

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Strikeforce had 3% of potential viewers watching, UFC had 2% of potential viewers watching..

How are they done?

3. Kuet

Kuet New Member

cause ufc 100 which is a replay out did them 4/1 ??
    and this is just ANOTHER reason why i think they are done. In PPV numbers, this card for SF would have gotten about 100k buys.

4. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

keep your facts and your math out of this forum. :squint:

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

There are 4 times as many people who get spike than Showtime.

That's hard to understand?

6. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

oh.. yeah..

that's right..

blind, ridiculous hate!!!!!!

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

this is why I'm hot

8. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

We don't want logics here ok?

9. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

RAGE!!!

10. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I'd say 576k viewers is pretty good.

11. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I actually expected in the 250k-300k range. I thought it was pretty good too :dunno:.

12. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

strikeforce will probably be around for awhile and continue to haunt the UFC with random big name signings. As long as the UFC keeps gaining audiences, strikeforce will shadow that.

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

ahh i see. Dont have showtime in Canada- probably why its was a fucking PPV event :hsugh: Wonder how many ppl bought it haha.

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

p.s- i really like SF but i dont see them NOT going bankrupt within 2 years. Here's to hoping that isnt true.

16. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

IM HELLA SMARTER THAN ALL THE STRIKEFORCE, SHOWTIME, DREAM, ETC. EXECUTIVES; THEY DUNNO WTF THEYRE DOIN. TRUST ME BROS STRIKEFORCE IS FUKT.

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

o wow a free event did better then a pay event, no shit

18. Kuet

Kuet New Member

Well, when even pride went out of business.....
    I am not saying i know more than them, you jackass.

SF is HOPING with the right marketing they can get some bigger names in their roster and start making $ from PPV's. The general Public barely know about Fedor- for example- as some guy the UFC couldnt sign. They have a place in MMA- but to try and compete with them- which is what it seems like is almost suicide. The UFC is almost at the point in North America where it can be considered close to the NFL, NBA , MLB or the NHL.

dont get me wrong- I want them to stick around....but while this biusiness model is improved- i still see the same old song and dance that has lead to the demise of past MMA org's.

DREAM has already had alot of issues with tv deals and such, well documented. I dont think they are in GREAT position right now. Neither is SF. And with the leech of M1 global sharing profits with everytime Fedor fights, that isnt good either.
    Another thing. M1 claims they also share losses. But WHAT fucking $ did they have to invest initially? Probably next to if not NOTHING.

I hope I am wrong- and by no means am i saying i "know" more than the execs. running those companies- just a mere observation friend.

19. Kuet

Kuet New Member

picard.jpg

20. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

coker does not = atencio

21. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

I'm sure the replay being aired at the same time hurt the SHO numbers overall though. Which is probably the main point of the post.

22. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

even then I heard thatrt strike force gets a lot of money back by selling the events for rebroadcast to HD Net

23. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

i want strikeforce to stick around. it'll only push the ufc to put on better events. competition is great in a capitalist nation.

24. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

i agree with some of your points, ufc is nooooowhere near the nfl or mlb though

when random chicks start falling in love with hideous athletes you will know their time has come. some chick watching ufc 100 told me she felt like she was justing watching two guys rolling around hugging eachother...

dumb i know but you know what I mean, mma has a LONG way to go

25. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Jenna/Tito

You don't get much more hideous than Tito and his head.