A&P This is why OTers tell you not to do business w/ friends...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

here's an email I just sent out on my wife's behalf for work she did for their wedding in JANUARY.

He's been a friend for almost 9 years... and its sad its come to this.

2. monster91

monster91 New Member

Its great of you to stand up like that, even though they're friends, and demand something that's yours. Especially trying to care for your wife like that. I'd never be able to do a friends, I'd be too worried about exactly that happening. I'm such a sucker that if a "friend" of mine did that I wouldn't say a thing...however, I don't have very many friends so it doesn't really matter. Rofl

3. Girth

business is business... friendship is friendship. My wife is not the one at fault here. Well, maybe she is... for being so generous. :dunno:

4. Girth

and I sent the email to my friends wife... both her emails. CC'd my wife and my friend.

5. monster91

monster91 New Member

I know what you mean, I wasn't saying she was at fault in even the smallest manner. :) She tried being nice and helping out a friend who needed/wanted it, and now shes getting screwed a bit because of it and thats messed up on their part. But as you said, buisness is buisness and friends are friends.

6. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

:eek3: my name is ben too

That sucks though, Ive had similar situations where "friends" say they will pay for something I sold them or did for them in a week. Then weeks turn into months and so on. So shitty

7. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

Cliffs:

Where the hell is my money, bro?!

That sucks when people take advantage of friends like that. I hope you get it resolved soon. :o

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

why didn't you post pics of the whore?

(I don't mean your wife, btw)

9. Girth

because she's... um, how do I say this???... FAT(?) :dunno:

10. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

oh, well that figures. fat women are meanies.

11. Girth

:rofl:

she seemed so organized and honest before hand.

12. Spurious

Spurious New Member

[y]_AJ0SkbPxAk[/y]

13. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Came to post this. :bowdown:

14. hootpie

hootpie New Member

If you have the checks in hand why don't you just cash them? If you don't want to be so abrupt, send a letter informing them that you'll cash the checks on a certain date, then cash them on that date.

15. Girth

That will be my next email if they don't let me know when to cash the checks w/ the time I gave them. :)

16. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I hope that email lights a fire under their ass then. I've seen your wife's work and she deserves better than that...especially considering how little she charges and ESPECIALLY when the work is done for a "friend."

17. Girth

Thanks, I'll pass that along to her... she loves hearing feedback from others. :bigthumb:

18. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Feel free to quote me in your next email to them as well :naughty::rofl:

But yeah...having just been married (since you're Persian too, I'm curious if you had a sofreh at your wedding and what her family thought of it) and opting to put our invitations together ourselves I know what a GIANT pain in the ass it is.

My wife, her sister, one of her bridesmaids, and I all sat down one day for 2 hours and we only finished 75% of the 70 invitations. I can't even imagine how long it would have taken just 1 person to do it.

Our invitations (materials + printing cost + tax) were $600 for 60, so $10/each. IIRC, you posted a picture of an invitation very similar to ours and you mentioned she charged $15/each...even though it's 50% more it seems like a bargain considering how much labor is involved.

19. Girth

well, since she made our invites herself... she made them 'custom'. So, the persians got the invites with a page in there w/ Farsi on it. The Vietnamese crowd got the same page, but in Vietnamese. I don't have a picture of ours uploaded, but here's a recent one she did for a persian wedding she did...

I believe this was their wedding program/booklet
    [​IMG]

she priced ours out (before she did them) at $14 a piece... and we sent out nearly 200 invites. :eek3:

20. hootpie

hootpie New Member

That's awesome. I did our wedding program myself (Photoshop :mamoru:) and did a very simple layout (color picture + text on front, inner left had the Catholic ceremony information, inner right had the Persian ceremony information, back had map + directions) and it was quite time consuming.

I had my wife proofing it, so she was the "customer" and I was the "vendor"...it was still very complicated and involved many proofs. At one point I told my wife, "I'm going to start charging you soon" :rofl:

I should have checked on here before we did our invites/programs...I would have much rather given a fellow OT'er/Persian my business than some of these idiots we dealt with. I think I mentioned this to you in another thread, but our invitations' main color was wrong. We received 60 invitations in fuchsia instead of purple. The vendor wouldn't take responsibility for it and wouldn't reprint them (it was too late anyway).

All of our vendors (I'll go out on a limb and say your wife does a better job than any of our vendors) required at least 50% up front if not more, so it's absurd that your wife is still waiting on a full payment 7 months later.

21. Girth

And yes... we did a persian ceremony, although it wasn't as elaborate as it was usually. Since we had to do both cultures, we cut down a lot. We had our persian table, and they had their dragon lady dress thing... which I refused to wear, so no tea ceremony for me. :big grin:

Here's our table... a bit covered up, sadly. :hs:
    [​IMG]

and here's her dragon lady dress as my friends and I referred to it as...

I was soooooooooooo drunk at this picture, we walked 30 tables and I took a shot at almost every one. :beer:
    [​IMG]

22. Girth

we actually had a friend of my dad hand write what we wanted it to say in the traditional persian cursive writing... then I scanned it, extracted, and put it on a separate file for her to use. Turned out great I think.

23. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Nice...we probably should have cut down ours. We had a 30 minute Catholic ceremony, then the 45 minute Persian ceremony...felt like an eternity. My mom went all out on our sofreh...

[​IMG]

24. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

25. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

On another note: Persian weddings are so much fun. :cool: