GUN This is what WMD needs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Floating fortress: Chelsea owner Abramovich builds £200m super-yacht half the size of the Bismarck
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/...ilds-200m-super-yacht-half-size-Bismarck.html
    By Liz Hull
    Last updated at 12:37 PM on 06th October 2008

When you have a personal fortune of £11.7billion, you can perhaps be forgiven for feeling the need for protection.

In Roman Abramovich's case, the solution is to order an armour-plated mega-yacht with missile detection system to offer early warning of attack by pirates or terrorists.

At 550ft long, the vessel, costing more than £200million, will be the largest private yacht ever constructed.
    [​IMG]
    A £200m floating fortress: An artist's impression of the new yacht displays its impressive size and defence capabilities

It is being built secretly at the shipyard in Germany which produced the World War II battleship the Bismarck.

The yacht will include radar equipment designed to warn the crew of incoming rockets, together with bullet-proof windows and armour plating on the bridge and around the 41-year-old Russian tycoon's cabin.

There will be twin helicopter pads and anti-bugging equipment, while the crew of 70 will include former SAS and Special Boat Service personnel.

If intruders make it on board the Eclipse, named because it is intended to overshadow all other private boats, Abramovich and his girlfriend Daria Zhukova, 26, could escape in a yellow submarine which can dive to 160ft.
    Enlarge Roman Abramovich and Daria Zhukova: The tycoon is not taking any chances against pirates and other potential attackers at sea

Roman Abramovich and Daria Zhukova: The tycoon is not taking any chances against pirates and other potential attackers at sea

The tycoon's other yachts - the 377ft Pelorus, 282ft Ecstasea and 160ft Sussurro - are not believed to have missile defence systems or submarines.

And with a growing number of pirates operating in the world's oceans, the Chelsea Football Club owner does not want to take any chances.

Should he decide to sail to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, he will be prepared for an attack by gangs such as the Somali pirates who seized a Ukrainian cargo ship loaded with Russian tanks before demanding a large ransom less than a fortnight ago.

According to the International Maritime Bureau, pirates attacked 269 vessels last year, took nearly 300 hostages and killed five people.

Even the Mediterranean, where Abramovich usually keeps his yachts, is becoming less safe.

In August, a gang boarded a £20million yacht off Corsica and robbed guests and crew of £100,000.

Under maritime law, non-naval ships are banned from carrying firearms. Some yacht owners are adopting high-powered water cannon, earsplitting klaxons and lubricant foam intended to make boarders slip.

Diane Byrne, editor of Power and Motoryacht News, said pirates and terrorists were an increasing worry for private yacht owners.

'Piracy isn't a problem limited to Somalia,' she said. 'It can and unfortunately does happen around the world.'

Abramovich's yacht will also have cabins for 24 guests as well as a cinema, aquarium, disco and hospital.

---

:eek3: Perfect for zombies, economic collapse and many other disasters. Throw a bmp on the back next to the 2 boats, Hind's on the helipads and it's good to go.

2. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

That's news to me. I figured that once you're in international waters, you could carry whatever you wanted. I'm pretty sure they'll have tasers or somethings.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

404 deck gun not found

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats UK bullshit. You can have guns onboard, you might not be allowed to dock with them in certain countries but with that thing you park it in international waters and take the chopper to shore.

5. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

or one of the tenders from your well deck...

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

for her pleasure

7. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

needs moar 8"/55 or 5"/54 turrets.

8. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

That's badass.

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

No need to go crazy; 1 or 2 CIWS would be more than enough to handle any modern day pirates.

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I think they mean that the boat itself can not be fitted with guns. As it says, only naval vessels can have them. I do not think they're referring to small arms carried by crew or passengers, just large weapons fitted to the boat.

Its a shame, not sure what missile detection is good for if you do not have a Phalanx cannon to shoot it out of the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hA8IqSC58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Bp9Rit4wc

11. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

if he has a team of ex SAS personnel on board why would you think they are not armed?

what are they gonna do? ninja you to death on the deck?

UK journalism is shitty sometimes

12. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

that no big deal, I can shoot missiles out of the sky better than want2race can, twice as far, with iron sights:rofl: in the middle of a hurricane

13. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

So he has time to jump on an escape boat/sub.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Might have other countermeasures, chaff and electronics. :dunno:
    Don't think many pirates have anti ship missiles anyway, just RPG's.

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Well since firearms are not allowed I recommend he spend some money developing a railgun.

16. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

So what are him and 70 other SAS & SBS going to do cruising the ocean? What's the point?

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:mamoru:

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

whatever gun we put on the deck better be mounted with a fucking larue throw lever.

19. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

:nono:Mark Larue will be on board at all times to hold the deck gun himself.:bowdown:

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Just put a QD Mark Larue figurehead on the front of the boat and nobody will fuck with you.

21. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Yeah, I thought that at first, then I thought to myself "well, hell, if we're going to put some firepower on a ship over half the size of one of the most famous battleships ever, why not put some fun stuff on there?"

Though I'd still want a CIWS or two....maybe one for'ard and one aft, for, well, rapidly closing small threats.

And some pintle-mounted .50 BMG or 20MM guns around the deck rails, for dealing with Zodiacs.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the only thing better than his mount, is if he holds the gun.

23. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I think you missed something:

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats what im commenting on, i just didnt quote.

25. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Trust me, if someone has the cash for that kind of ship, he sure the fuck has the money to get the permits/pay the proper officials off AND have a sweetass arsenal stashed away as well as detachable mounting systems that double for normal gear and other weapons.

That's the kind of gig that dreams are made of.