MIL This is some bullshit....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Feb 19, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

2. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:rofl:

Nice.

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

It is true, technology wise the AF is in serious need of an update.

4. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

:wtc: waaaaaa we need more moneys!

doesnt the a/f get the most funding already?

look at the navys aircraft....

6. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

because of the wars I know the C-17's at Charleston (the oldest in the AF) airframe lifetime was cut in half or something, I hear MX guys talking about it all the time.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Cut their budget for the Raptor. Problem solved. WTF do you need almost 400 raptors for? The JSF is less than half of what the raptors costs, and is also stealth to boot.

8. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

:werd:

From my perspective, every C-130 I've been in has duct tape and 550 cord someplace visible. Makes me glad to jump out of the things seeing patch jobs like that.

9. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Good..

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Duct tape and 550 cord is not there to patch things up on the airframe. 80lb cord is also used as well as other types of cords/strings, but for airdrop rigging. You will even find all that tape and cords in our 2005 C-130J planes. They are all part of airdrop rigging procedures, and most loadmasters leave it rigged to save time for future airdrops. Not only that, your own jumpmasters and safeties make sure the aircraft is properly and safely rigged to regulations, so don't bring up the safety of an aircraft when you don't know what you're talking about.

11. EYOB

EYOB Guest

12. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Days earlier, Carlson said that today's U.S. Air Force "simply cannot fight and win against the fleet of airplanes that have been developed and are flying in India, China, and so forth," a claim questioned by many experts. But his view has been reinforced by the companies employing 25,000 workers in 44 states building the F-22 - the prime contractor is aerospace giant Lockheed Martin - and their allies in Congress. That is what is so insidious about these lists: once Congress gets a hold of them, they're used as pile drivers to pound extra billions into the Pentagon budget, generally by lawmakers seeking to fund jobs in their districts.

In addition to more F-22 fighters, the Air Force's wish list also seeks more F-35 fighters (needed for "the Required Force"), more C-130 and C-17 cargo planes ("Part of Required Force"), and more unmanned Global Hawk drones (these would merely "Support Required Force"). Unmanned aircraft are supposed to be cheaper, but the price tag on these runs more than $120 million apiece. More than $1 billion is being sought for 11 passenger planes, seven of them Gulfstream Vs favored by Apple's Steve Jobs and Sir Elton John (no mention of any Required Force justification here).

Then there's the line item seeking 100,600 handguns (there are 330,000 people in the Air Force) featuring "improved ergonomic design and higher caliber effectiveness" at $1,157 a pop. The service also wants 210,000 M-4 carbines at $1,747 a clip. For years, the Air Force has complained about the Army having its own air force. Now, at long last, the Army may be able to complain about the Air Force having its own army. View this article on

Highlighted some points from that last article I wanted to touch on. First, the whole Lockheed thing.. I wholeheartedly agree. Lockheed has a stranglehold on military aircraft contracts due to their immense pull amongst lawmakers in congress. That is why Lockheed got the JSF contract even though Boeing's JSF entry performed better.

More C-130's. Well, I am a C-130 crew chief, and I can tell you...even though I hate the damn plane, that if we're going to keep using this old ass piece of shit design, then yes, we do need more new C-130's. The average age of our C-130 fleet is 40 years! Do you routinely drive 40 year old cars through the worst terrain you can find?? No, you don't. And maintaining these old ass piles of shit gets harder by the day. Never mind the cracks through the wing structures, or the ones in the fuselage, you have old electrical wires that are getting very brittle and breaking every day. One wrong wire breaks, and you will see a four fanned fireball falling out of the sky. So yes, if the USAF insists on flying an antiquated airframe, then we need new C-130's. There is only ONE squadron on Active Duty that flies the C-130J. They currently have a whopping 5 planes. Of course, that doesn't count the training squadron, because frankly, they don't count for much anyways. Fucking 9-5ers.

The handguns...Yeah, I think we need a 45ACP sidearm. I think it was retarded to go with the 9MM in the first place. Do we need to pay that much for it?? Hell fucking no. Springfield Armory makes a very nice, very reliable, extremely rugged 45ACP weapon for about $400 less per weapon. This is probably the result of someone having their hands in someone else's pockets. So we get some special gun that functions no better than what you can buy at Jimbo's Gun Shop.

M4 Carbines...No. Just no. How about we get over using a fucking .223 peashooter and go back to a .30 caliber rifle. Sure, the M4 and M16 have great velocity, but they lack the knock-down power. Ever shoot a deer with a .223?? It just kinda looks around and runs off. Shoot it with a 30 caliber and it falls flat on the fucking ground.

So yeah, there are some things the Air Force asks for that make you go WTF?? But some of the shit they want, they actually need.

13. Kira Yamato

Kira Yamato New Member

I love C-130s

14. PumpScout

PumpScout New Member

That last paragraph was my favorite... M-4's and .45's for the Air Force, in large numbers. Funny how the Key West Agreement doesn't really delve into the AF having it's own substantial ground element (that I'm aware of, haven't read it word for word).

And is $1747 really the going bulk price for M-4's? $1100+ for .45's? Seriously, who comes up with these numbers?

15. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Why does the Air Force need weapons for over a third a third of its airmen?

16. RedBull

RedBull New Member

im sick of doing core replacements on every single F100 that comes into the fucking shop. More budget would be nice, but holy shit, stop wasting it on the god damn raptor

17. EYOB

EYOB Guest

18. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

the whole military needs to adopt the S&W m&p .45 imho...m4/m16s need to go away yes just due to the old design, it was good yes, but there are newer and better ones you could contract for cheaper now because they are from companies that are hungry to grab the deal...

19. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

shit i see the need for this everyday. 24% mission capable rates are not acceptable, especially when money is the biggest obstacle to increase it.

20. SweetDaddyO

i'd rather them issue Sig P229s in .40 - great compromise of stopping power and mag capacity (and a damn sexy pistol)

21. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

With the .45 issue. First there is the cost of adopting a new handgun where handguns are rarely used to engage targets, then the additional cost to supply .45acp ammo for training. When you are talking millions of rounds the difference in cost adds up fast.

22. Zee

Zee New Member

I think the Air Force is slowly being turned back into the Army AirCorps.....

Lets face it the Air Force is fucked....they are spending more fucking money than they need for the Raptors instead using PART of that money in maintaing two still fully capable Airframes

23. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I don't know much about jets, but whats the real difference between the F-22, and the F-35? Isn't a fighter jet still just a fighter jet? Me personally I'd like to see more A-10's, but I just think they are cool.

24. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

No doubt. You have to deal with those fucking B1's. Probably my favorite plane in the looks department, but they are just disgustingly unreliable. I'm actually surprised we haven't heard any rumors of a replacement for them yet.

25. SweetDaddyO

the next-generation bomber isn't supposed to come online till after 2018 - B-1s will be flying until at least 2025 in my opinion.