GUN This is probably an obvious question, BUT...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aviator, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Aviator

Aviator Banned

As far as gun length goes, the longer the barrel, the more accurate the gun tends to be, right? So for example, a 5" handgun(G17,22) would be more accurate than a 4"(G19,23). And with the 5" being heavier, it would have less recoil too, right?

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Not really. Most people shoot longer barreled handguns more accurately because they typically have a longer sight radius to go along with their longer barrel. Accuracy is not dependant on barrel length.

3. Aviator

Aviator Banned

I see. Well what i'm basically getting at is....what are the advantages to buying the bigger G17/22's if you can have the same exact gun at a smaller size? (I'm just using Glocks as an example, it could apply to any 5" vs 4" handgun)

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That's the advantage

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Isnt it true, however, that longer barrels will give better accuracy at greater ranges, not to mention a higher velocity?

6. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Gotcha.

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

Plus, a larger gun typically weighs more which will help to soak up recoil a little bit better and make for faster follow up shots.

Also, in most cases the full size model will hold a few more rounds than the comparable compact model. Using the Glock example, factory hi-caps for a Glock 17 hold 17 rounds. Factory hi-caps for a Glock 19 hold 15 rounds.

8. Aviator

Aviator Banned

See, that's what I thought as well. Longer barrel = more bullet stabilization?

And don't wanna get all "CS" up in here, but I also thought this is why when you add a silencer, it makes it more accurate.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Factory hi-caps for a Glock 34 hold 17 rounds. Factory hi-caps for a Glock 17L hold 17 rounds. Factory hi-caps for a Glock 17 hold 17 rounds.

:hsugh:

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

sometimes silencers actually worsen the accuracy, or just change the POI. But I'm not the one to ask about that.

11. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Yeah, I thought so. Mentioned that in the first post as well.

True, however us Californians don't care about that. :wtc:

12. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Yeah, I'm not really sure either, just was under that impression.

13. sprite

sprite Active Member

Right, and those are all full size frames... which is what I'm saying. :hsugh:

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Again, not really. Increased velocity is just that; and increase in velocity. Velocity has little/nothing to do with accuracy.

Pistols are not rifles but people make the same mistake of assuming that longer barrels mean greater accuracy. When dealing with rifle barrel harmonics you can have some very strange phenomena such as barrel whip where the longer barrels are less accurate than a similar barrel that is shorter. You do get more velocity out of a longer barrel (within reason) which means more velocity carried over distance but it does not make the rifle more accurate.