This is my home gym, can someone PLEASE give me a good starting workout?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by savethehumans, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savethehumans

savethehumans mmm piss steam. OT Supporter

I have worked out before (7 years ago) and am now trying to get back started. I injured my ankle a month after buying this gym.

Anyways, I am looking for a workout that will condition me (12-16 week start) without killing or injuring me.

I fucking hope I get to use the 1990 colored aerobics dumbbells. Ok maybe not they are 2,5,10.

I am 33, 190lbs and 5'11". I want to burn a bit of fat but mostly just build up a muscle base..etc. I have my diet straighten out and am not looking for fast gains, as I plan on doing this long term.

Thanks for the help, if any. I did read the stickies and still want to know if anyone has something for my specific setup.
    [​IMG]
    Parabody G6 without leg press.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Life Fitness X9-i

2. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

sell that contraption. buy a power rack, barbell, weights, flat bench. you'll be more effective with that. that machine would be nice to have for some assistance exercises. but for what you want as your goals, you'd be better of doing a 5x5 style routine. i'd say after a month or two your going to get bored with that machine.

you could still do some of the basic exercises with what you have. DB squats, DB press, seated DB cleans, SOHP, etc. and follow it up with the pec dec, lat pull down, leg extensions

3. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

god fucking damnit I hate those bowflex dumbbell shits. they have them at the apartment "gym" in lieu of a set of dbs, they feel rickety as shit.

4. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

thats a nice elliptical for home

5. savethehumans

I have another 15' x15' room that I will ..in the future...add a bench and squat machine at the very least, probably a body bag as well...depending what I find I need the most.

I guess my issue for starting is I keep reading a ton of different shit/strategies.

For time, I can spare 40 minutes 3 x a week and basically 20 minutes a day in the morning for cardio.

I dont know if doing cardio every day will hurt me or help me as I get conflicting information regarding cardio on weight training days.

Another thing that I am baffled about is... I was told to do one set of 12 for all body parts 3x a week for first 12 weeks. I dont feel my muscles are getting the right burn, so I want to go MON/upper WED/lower FRI/upper or something and actually burnout my muscles during set or sets.

I guess dropping some chub would be best as the muscles will come, and I am kinda worried about injuring myself, as I used to workout and my brain now is telling me GO, but my body says.. fuck that.

6. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

7. savethehumans

These are actually pretty tight...like not rickety.

Its was $1500 for a set of weights that took up a shit load of room, so I went with these for $499.

They really are solid, though. /shrug

8. savethehumans

I am not asking advice for what to buy. I am not getting rid of this equipment, so advice for a routine on THIS equipment would be greatly appreciated.

haha, fuck.

9. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

looks like you have a chart on the wall? follow that until you get some real equipment. im not bashing what you have, but you can only do so much with a cable machine

10. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

oh and cardio every day/morning wont hurt at all.

11. savethehumans

That stupid chart is for a totally different outdated model. I dont even know why I have it up...I can only do about 30% of it. They were supposed to send me one for MY model...and didnt. Also I cant find it online.

Should I do whole body 3x a week or break it up?

12. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

again thats totally up to you. i would do a upper lower split though

13. savethehumans

Thanks for the help Blade.

14. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

Buy some weights, a bar, etc...just my 2 cents. Most of the advice you're going to get here is assuming you have those things or access to them.

15. eljefedetonto

maybe yours see less abuse since it's for home use. i personally can't wait to get back to the university rec.

16. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

I would just look that machine up online and do the exercise routine the company recommends for it.

I really would sell it asap and pickup the basics that Blade mentioned. Its going to be a night/day difference :o

17. eljefedetonto

I think exrx.net has cable stuff in their exercise database

18. savethehumans

Thanks...that site is a vault of info.

19. OTOPIAN

OTOPIAN New Member

20. Merck

Merck New Member

that setup would likely make me commit suicide

21. TheNonSequitur

TheNonSequitur New Member

lol bowflex

22. savethehumans

23. TheNonSequitur

TheNonSequitur New Member

If you have some muscle memory to your body then you will gain your muscle back, as well as, get a pump from your lifts. If you drop some weight then you will probably look bigger from being able to see the cuts...I am assuming you are 20+% BF in the statement I just made.

There are many exercises you could do with your universal machine and dumbells. The 20 minutes of cardio really won't burn many calories even if you are busting your balls, but if you are inactive then getting 20-30 minutes a day of 25%+ of your VO2Max is necessary to get aerobic benifits (assuming the lifting won't be a circute rutine, plyometrics, etc) which you can achieve 90% in the time I suggested. If you are active at your job or outside of it, but outside of the workout time then consider doing some stretching or yoga in that 20 minute time several times a week.

For exercises, build up a foundation for muscular endurance by doing total body movements with light weight (2 sets of 15-25 reps), while focusing on developing postural balance by doing corrective stretches and exercises. When you are ready, advance to building up your stabilizers while focusing on body balance. When you are ready, advance to developing muscular endurance by trying to do drop sets, super sets, etc, usually with a combo of stabilization and traditional lifts such as bench followed by a ball single arm alternating chest press. When you are ready, advance to doing traditional lifts at the 3-5 sets of 6-15 rep range. When you are ready you can cycle back and forth between muscular endurance and muscular strength, changing your volume for either once in a while. Or, you can advance to plyometrics or maximal lifting, but this is more for fun or sport specific training or overcoming platues.

Focus on advancing your routine, strict form, pushing yourself beyond your comfort level, but not over it, proper nutrition, getting a balance to your routine, hitting up every muscle once a week, and having fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.