MMA This is long but so worth the read

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Ok. So I'm driving down the road today back to my parents house when I see a HUGE banner that proclaims "MMA TAUGHT HERE!"

OH SHIT!

The only school near my parents house that teaches is like 45 min away(but it is a proper good school with some pro fighters).

So I go get my gear and go in.

I'm informed that its MMA based on Ninjitsu. They said this with a straight face...I shit you not.

Ok, I'm not a judgmental guy so I figure Ill stay and see whats up.

The first class is a self defense class so I'm not to excited about it. But I did learn to take a gun away from someone and defend a knife attack by flipping them over my shoulder and stabbing them with the knife. Provided they they do it really slow with a rubber knife.

I'm asked by a student what I would do knowing BJJ(I was talking to him some durring class) if he attacked me with a knife. I looked at him like he was stupid and I said "I would run...because you have a knife"

The instructor, honest to god, thinks he can catch a knife mid air and stab you with it...

So the next class is "grappling". He found out that I did BJJ and he taught stick fighting instead. I was bummed.

So after class I was messing with some of the guys and talking to them. It turns out that he has a MMA team that is about to start competing and one of the guys was "training to be invited on it". So I ask him if he wants to roll. He is lost, he doesn't even know what that is. So I explain to him that it is free grappling...and he is still lost. So I skip that and show him an arm bar drill. He doesn't even know how to sit in someones guard(or what that was) and let them practice.

Some of the stuff I showed them(double leg, arm bar from guard, and triangle choke from guard) blew there mind.

The instructor pulled me off to the side and asked if I would come teach the BJJ class Friday night. He confessed that the only BJJ he teaches is what he learned off a Carlson Gracie Jr. DVD he bought years ago.

I agreed..but this place blew my mind. These kids are gonna get hurt learning this stuff. Several of his "advanced" students really think they can take a gun away from someone, or block a knife attack.

And god help them if they get in a cage(like he is planning).

So these are his credentials according to his pamphlet.

Styles studied.

Ninjutsu
    Kung Fu
    Hapkido
    Tang Soo Do
    Yoseikan Budo
    Judo
    Brazilian Jujitsu(spelled just like on his pamplet)
    Tae kwon Do
    Akido
    Shotakan
    Isshinryu
    Kickboxing
    Mu Doo Kwan
    Aikijujitsu
    Kenp
    "along with many sub styles of each one.

Studing for black sash in Lung Shou Pai Kung Fu

2nd Degree Combat Hapkido

2nd Degree Tang Soo Do

4th Degree Tak Kwon Do (Honorary) <-- I don't even know what that means

4th Dan Togakure Ninjutsu

5th Dan Ryuu Kage Ryu
    Founder of System <-- He created a style and gave him self a 5th degree belt in it(that he wears around)

He is also the womens college dorm instructor and the girl scouts self defense instructor. :mamoru::mamoru:

Oh my god.

Its hard to type exactly what this night was like.

Jesus Christ, people like this are going to kill the sport.

This is what happens when it went "main stream"

2. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

i feel sorry for his students
    btw, i'm sorta scared to ask, but............ how much does he charge per month?

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

90-125 depending on how often you go :run:

4. MagicGAT

MagicGAT New Member

goood lord :rofl:

5. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

wow double leg blew their mind?

sometimes it seems like you're exaggerating :o

how could you agree to go their and grapple vs people who train twirly kicks.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

The only take downs they knew where catching punches and flipping people. SWEAR. TO. GOD.

And if they are open to learning what BJJ and MMA actually is I would love to spread what the sport is really about.

7. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

You know that you're going to have to have detailed posts every time you go in there, maybe even videos?

8. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

:rofl: @ mcdojos. I drive 45 minutes to train at a real mma gym. It must have felt incredibly awkward to be there.

9. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I spent the entire time bitting my tounge.

At point we were doing a standing guillotine choke after taking their stick away from them. But he was doing the choke with an arm in. I showed him the grip to use in that situation and he did it a few times, then told me thats what he shows his advanced students. I asked why he didn't teach it from the start and he said that that grip is an advanced technique. Before I could stop my self I blurted out "So you teach it to them wrong on purpose?" It came out worse than I meant it..I was just confused(and still am).

I was trying to be respectful and seem really interested...but I could have cared less about someone attacking me with a stick.

I have the same opinion about a stick as a do a Knife. If you attack me with a stick...I'm probably gonna run. Because you have a big god damn stick.

10. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I want so bad to challenge the head guy to a fight.

I know I'm not the best MMA fighter but I think I could handle him, especially if I could get it to the ground.

But then again, the last time I thought I was gonna handle someone I got KOed :o

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

:mamoru:

12. DKKD

DKKD New Member

true :p

gj for not being a total ass though

13. smartypants

smartypants New Member

seconded,
    Must have been tempting.
    "The emperor has no clothes!":)

14. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

:rofl: at you for being amazed that people know how to disarm people with weapons, yet looking at them as morons for being amazed at BJJ. I've watched a few videos off the tracker on how to knife fight, and I suggest you do the same because right now I don't think you understand how foolish you're looking. Knife fighting is real, and 99% of people who carry knives don't know how to do it properly, and it would be pretty damn easy to disarm them and stab them in the arms neutralizing the threat.

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

OK Segal Jr. :ugh:

16. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:mamoru::mamoru:

IL +1

You are NOT going to grab someones hand out of mid air, redirect it while flipping them over, gut them, and walk away with the knife un hurt.

This isn't the movies. I bet you think Akido really works too. :noes:

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I wonder if I can charge private lesson fees! :noes:

18. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I love the IL feature. My thread just got more intelligent.

19. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

But less entertaining.

I like doing self defense work against rubber knives. It looks really cool in a demo.

20. Optamix

Optamix New Member

The stick fighting stuff was actually kinda cool. Because the penalty for getting hit with a stick is so much less severe than a knife.

The Knife and gun shit he was showing was retarded and will get one of his students killed.

21. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

Really cause you know what you're talking about? You're completely fucking ignorant and a complete fucking moron when it comes to knife fighting. You clearly don't know jack shit about it, yet you think you know everything there is to know about it. If I was a pussy hurt faggot like yourself, I'd use my ignore list... but I'm not.

22. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

:rofl:

Don't get pissy; this is the internet. Tell us about knife fighting, and your background in it.

23. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

I know how it sounds, but learning how to wield a knife properly takes skill and practice like everything else. Knife-fighting does take an actual technique and skill that can only be mastered through years of training. My older brother use to train with this crazy asian kid who showed off knife methods i didnt think were possible. Although i highly doubt that dojo has any concept of it.

24. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Thats what I'm getting at.

This guys students really think they can do this stuff after a few months.

I bet the instructor couldn't really do it.

And stop quoting suboptimal, i ILed him for a reason :o

25. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

I never said that I was capable of doing it, but there are definitely people out there who can. What makes Optamix a complete moron is that apparently it never crossed his mind that he's only seen probably 10 minutes of some guy doing slow motion demos who very well might be full of shit, and he's come away thinking that no one can properly knife fight in real life.