This is driving me absolutely insane. v.sata drive xp install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr J, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Yes I know I need to load the third party raid drivers during setup. Let me explain;

My IDE HDD died so I thought, fuck it, I'll get one of these new fangled SATA drives, it can't be that difficult and if anything it'll be better.

Now I have a Gigabyte KA-G8N Pro Motherboard with Sillicon Image SATAlink controller. I've downloaded the Si3x12 drivers and slipstreamed them into an XP CD with SP3 aswell. When trying to setup windows, it will go through all the motions, detect the drive, then if I try to amend any of the partitions it tells me that it can't access the disk and gives me a BSOD. As it's just one drive, it's set to BASE in the BIOS. THere are no jumper settings or anything on the drive.

Linux seems to detect it just fine and installs + runs ok but there is no support for my wireless card and there's no point having a computer with no internet access.

I did install Knoppix onto the drive and haven't been able to successfully format it yet which could explain why XP is having problems accessing the drive. If I boot from the livecd will is there any way to format the drive completely ready for XP?

I tried an application called "Killdisk" which apparently detects SATA drives but it won't find the drive.

I also tried the recovery console but it won't repair the MBR for some reason. It did let me format the partitions to NTFS though. XP still won't let me past the partitioning stage.

What the fuck can I do? I Think that the drive needs to be formatted so XP can create its own MBR but I can't find any bootable CD's that will detect a SATA drive.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It would be easier to put the SATA drive into compatibility mode - it basically mimics an IDE drive that XP sees without any driver disks. Check the BIOS for this feature.

3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

BSOD when changing partition sizes sounds like a shitty driver. See if the chipset manufacturer has something more up-to-date than Gigabyte does.

Don't use IDE compatibility mode if you can avoid it -- that disables Native Command Queuing, which is one of the best things about SATA disks.

5. Mr J

Mr J New Member

My board doesn't have that IDE thing for SATA drives anyway.

I've tried searching for different versions of the drivers but can't find any that work. The ones off the sillicon image site and the ones from the gigabyte site do the same thing.

I'll try Hirens boot cd but does it have sata support? Most of these boot cd's dont see my hard drive. I've got about 20 cd-r's that are wasted now.

I nearly fucking set fire to my PC earlier. It should not be this difficult to install windows.

6. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

exact error message when trying to delete partitions?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Your biggest problem is you need drivers to access the disk, but you can't format your boot drive. So, you need another drive, IDE, SATA, whatever, with an OS installed on it and then format this drive.

Or, try one of the many Linux Live CDs if you're stuck.

8. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

I don't know that formatting it will fix the problem. It sounds like a controller/driver problem.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

It's a driver issue, but it may be restricted to partition table writes - once it has been partitioned how he wants it, the driver won't be an issue.

10. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Not sure on the exact error but it says something about "can't access this disk". If it is a driver issue then I'm pretty fucked because I can't find any other versions of the drivers other than the ones i've already tried.

I think XP is having problems reading the partitions on the drive because they were created by Knoppix and are probably some weird linux filesystem. There's one that's 1gb for swap space and then the rest of the 500gb drive is another partition. The MBR is most likely done by linux too so XP shits itself whenever it looks at the drive.