this HTS w/ a computer? my situation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Mar 31, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i have an audigy 2 ZS w/ optical out (i think). i was lookng at this and i think the price is good:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...701&atab=8&spviewed=&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10

it says the receiver has 95w/channel but the speakers are 100w each??

i'm in a small room, 8x13 so I dont need a super subwoofer.

currently i have logitech z 5500 but i find that a get a headache from them when I listen (even not that loudly)

I listen to trance/hiphop and play games which require 5.1 sound. occasionally i watch movies. i do like bass and i think that system has decent bass (except really low freqs, but i dont know how that comparets to logitech bass). i can't find many reviews actually.

any input is greatly appreciated. i'm in canada also btw. if anyone wants more info before helping me just ask :wavey:

2. 04

04 Guest

Have you heard the speakers in the store? If so, how did you like them?

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I was going to go listen this weekend actually. I'm starting to think it might be overkill though.

I've looked into adjusting the cutoff freq for my sub with the 5500s but supposedly it will lower the quality of music.

My soundcard has digital out - would the digital out sound better than my 3 1/8" analog plugs? Would it work the same way with all the surround sound?

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

The thing about that soundcard is that the SPDIF output is only for stuff that is encoded in Dolby Digital, which most games and no music is. If you had a soundcard that encoded Dolby Digital you could, but the Audigy doesnt. So using the digital out is only going to work on movies more than likely.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Kinda off subject, but why not use headphones for gaming? I would rather have a nice set of headphones that a stereo.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

2 speakers v 5 speakers :)

7. 04

04 Guest

:confused:

The Audigy can output PCM through the SPDIF interface (which is what SPDIF was designed to transmit). All other digital audio other than perhaps a SACD will be in either DTS, DD, or PCM, so it should be fine in that respect.

8. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

don't understand what you're saying at all.

but to use digital w/ audigy and z5500, have to enable passthrough and let speakers decode.. and EAX won't work in games.

9. 04

04 Guest

Yeah. So if you use EAX, you would be better off using the analog connections.